Dany's Fevered Dream

TheMysteriousOne

Daenerys' chapters are littered with all sorts of foreshadowing, symbolism and prophecy. The vast majority of it, except the HOTU visions, come from her dreams. I've been doing a Dany reread and I noticed a dream which I had always previously glossed over, but upon reading it now, I've realized that it's fairly significant. This dream occurs in AGOT, Daenerys IX, while Dany is dreaming during her recovery, before she learns of Rhaego's fate.

Which is quite interesting now that we know

that Rhaenyra had a deformed stillborn daughter described exactly like Rhaego, but I digress.

By no means do I understand the dream in its entirety, which is why I want to have a discussion about it.

Anyway, let's take a look at some of the very significant, IMO, parts of her dreams.

The red door was so far ahead of her, and she could feel the icy breath behind, sweeping up on her. If it caught her she would die a death that was more than death, howling forever alone in the darkness. She began to run. “... don’t want to wake the dragon".

What is this icy breath that is chasing after Dany? I think it is possibly the Others and/or the wights, or any other faction that is associated with ice and darkness. It's interesting to note that Dany is already opposed to ice, cold and darkness in AGOT. I think this lends credibility to the theory that Dany might support R'hllor, which might possibly mean that she will oppose Bran and Bloodraven.

She could feel the heat inside her, a terrible burning in her womb. Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo’s copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest, and in an instant he was gone, consumed like a moth by a candle, turned to ash.

I believe that this could be foreshadowing of Dany being AA. I haven't decided who I believe will be AA, (it's either Jon or Dany) but I think that this part of the dream makes it somewhat likely that Dany is AA. Dany sacrificed Rhaego to save Drogo, and AA sacrificed Nissa Nissa to forge LB, by plunging the blade into her heart. In this dream, Rhaego's heart is burning through his chest, which is very similar to aforementioned incident.

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.” She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. “Faster!” the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward.

At first I believed that these kings were Targaryens, but I'm not sure since some of their eyes are not purple. The fact that some of the ghosts do not have purple eyes does not sufficiently prove, however, that they are not Targaryens, since we know that some of them, Queen Alysanne, for instance, did not have purple eyes.

More importantly, what are these swords of pale fire? Why are they significant?

A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

“wake the dragon"

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings.

This foreshadows the birth of the dragons, and that Dany is the Stallion Who Mounts the World. She describes, what are presumably Drogon's wings as her own, and then states that all that lived and breathed fled from her, which fits in with the description of the STMTW prophecy.

"As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name."

She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door. “... the dragon..." And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. “The last dragon,” Ser Jorah’s voice whispered faintly. “The last, the last.” Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own. After that, for a long time, there was only the pain, the fire within her, and the whisperings of stars.

This dream ostensibly foreshadows Dany arriving in Westeros, but that is not the focal point of this part of the dream. The crux of this part of the dream is the fact that Dany lifts Rhaegar's visor and sees herself within it. I think this could mean:

1) Dany is the Dragon, maybe the Three-Headed Dragon or one of its heads, not Rhaegar.

2) Dany is Rhaegar reborn

3) Dany is all of the above.

I've seen theories that state that Dany is Rhaegar reborn, but I don't believe it. However, throughout the books, Dany dreams herself as Rhaegar, so I guess it is possible that Dany is Rhaegar, but I think that it's more likely that Dany is the dragon. In this dream, Dany sees herself as Rhaegar, the supposed last dragon, and in the HOTU, Dany feels as if Rhaegar is staring at her when he says that there must be one more head.

Daenerys' chapters are littered with all sorts of foreshadowing, symbolism and prophecy. The vast majority of it, except the HOTU visions, come from her dreams. I've been doing a Dany reread and I noticed a dream which I had always previously glossed over, but upon reading it now, I've realized that it's fairly significant. This dream occurs in AGOT, Daenerys IX, while Dany is dreaming during her recovery, before she learns of Rhaego's fate.

Which is quite interesting now that we know that Rhaenyra had a deformed stillborn daughter described exactly like Rhaego, but I digress.

WHAT? WHERE?

Nice catch TMO I just wanted to add Rhaenyra's still-born daughter had a hole in her heart and as you pointed for Rhaego his heart burned in the dream so his real body may be the same as Rhaenyra's child as in "hole in heart"

Are these spoilers for the Princess and the Queen? Spoiler warnings please?

I believe that this could be foreshadowing of Dany being AA. I haven't decided who I believe will be AA, (it's either Jon or Dany) but I think that this part of the dream makes it somewhat likely that Dany is AA. Dany sacrificed Rhaego to save Drogo, and AA sacrificed Nissa Nissa to forge LB, by plunging the blade into her heart. In this dream, Rhaego's heart is burning through his chest, which is very similar to aforementioned incident.

And both sacrifices helped her hatch her dragons, perhaps making Drogon her Lightbringer.

Its possible Rhaegar was AAR and when he died he was reborn as Dany.

I think AAR and PTWP are 2 different things..

If Dany is Rheagar reborn, I wonder what the significance is there. Also, if AAR and PTWP are two different things and Jon is the PTWP what kind of connection Dany and Jon will have? I know some people believe they'll be foes, but having this connection might make them natural allies.

Also, I'm starting to think that whatever BR and Bran are might not be the forces of ice, I think the Others are a wholly different thing.

It is interesting that the "Dragon" aspect of her personality is preventing her from reaching the house through the red door, which I tend to believe represents Dany's true happiness. So as she wakes the Dragon, so to does she get farther away from happiness. Rather poetic really.

If Dany is Rheagar reborn, I wonder what the significance is there. Also, if AAR and PTWP are two different things and Jon is the PTWP what kind of connection Dany and Jon will have? I know some people believe they'll be foes, but having this connection might make them natural allies.

Also, I'm starting to think that whatever BR and Bran are might not be the forces of ice, I think the Others are a wholly different thing.

If TPTWP is different than AAR it might have had a different prophecy, so its hard to tell if Jon would be Dany's ally or enemy.

Yea Bran might not be the enemy he might bring balance.

Jon and Dany may be allies but if they are enemies I think its possible Dany would be fire vs Jon ice and Bran might bring balance.

I've always believed that Dany and Jon will oppose each other at first, but then will reach an accord of sorts.

What 'force' do you think that BR and Bran are? I thought that they're leaning towards ice on the spectrum since BR gave Bran that lesson about why he shouldn't fear darkness, etc.

It is interesting that the "Dragon" aspect of her personality is preventing her from reaching the house through the red door, which I tend to believe represents Dany's true happiness. So as she wakes the Dragon, so to does she get farther away from happiness. Rather poetic really.

I think it is rather helping her to get there, the Targaryen ghosts seem to be telling her to hurry up and the wings helped her get there.

I've always believed that Dany and Jon will oppose each other at first, but then will reach an accord of sorts.

Perhaps the revelation of Jon's true identity will help Dany see pass any prejudice she might still have. Family is the most important thing to Dany, if she has any antagonism towards him, knowing that he's family would change that completely.

What 'force' do you think that BR and Bran are? I thought that they're leaning towards ice on the spectrum since BR gave Bran that lesson about why he shouldn't fear darkness, etc.

Honestly, I haven't figured it out yet. To me BR is (like Jon) both ice (first men) and fire ((Valeryan) and his purpose is to find balance. Darkness doesn't always have to be bad as light doesn't always signify good.

I think Jon is more likely to be on the ice spectrum after all GRRM gave him full Stark looks which seems telling.

Edit: He is also symbolised in HOTU by his mother's rose

You think after the events of the last book, he'll become darker? What would it mean to be in the ice side, I don't think he'd side with the Others.

Archived