why did Stannis mock Maester Cressen?

im317

Seems perfectly in character honestly.

The Queen gave a command, he's bound to uphold it, even if it's not something he'd have wanted himself. Pretty much the same reason he insists on calling Jaime 'Ser Jaime', and refuses calling Robert his 'beloved brother'.

And honestly, this isn't very much sizzle for a Stannis topic. As others have said, there are far more interesting things about him to discuss.

Yes, thank you :agree:

in aCoK prologue Lady Selyse suggests Cressen should wear Parchface's crown and Stannis more or less commands Cressen to wear it. why does Stannis do this? it goes against his character and everything he stands for.

Because the Queen gave Cressen a direct order and Cressen looked to Stannis as if he could be exempted because they had the Stan-equivalent of a close relationship, and that doesn't fly.

He was also going through his bitter asshole stage at that point.

Y'know, it's similar to Robert not standing up against Cersei during the Lady incident. I guess spinelessness is a Baratheon trait?

Ask the ironborn, tyrells and wildlings how spineless stannis is. As for Robert, ask rhaegar.

The Baratheons are spineless? Robert charging into a battle with a fucking warhammer, Renly putting together an almost flawless plan(only magic can stop him) to become king, and Stannis holding Storms End are all activities that need a "spine" Yes they have issues (less then most) but spineless is one thing the Baratheons are not.

Not sure you understand what the words petty and jackass mean, but ooookay brah brah.

Petty, When someone takes a small subject and blows it out of proportion. At times, making something otherwise insignificant into something bigger to suit their own agenda. That sounds like Stannis. And he jerk, so jackass is fitting.

Petty, When someone takes a small subject and blows it out of proportion. At times, making something otherwise insignificant into something bigger to suit their own agenda. That sounds like Stannis. And he jerk, so jackass is fitting.

How did he blow it out of proportion? He tells cressen to stay in his room, cressen goes to the feast, selyse orders cressen to wear the fools hat, stannis lets it happen. It's not as if he had cressen beaten or anything,he had to wear a hat, omg that's so terrible right?

Also, I'm pretty sure jackass means idiot, not jerk. Of course definitions of this word probably vary wildly from area to area I'm sure.

The Baratheons are spineless? Robert charging into a battle with a fucking warhammer, Renly putting together an almost flawless plan(only magic can stop him) to become king, and Stannis holding Storms End are all activities that need a "spine" Yes they have issues (less then most) but spineless is one thing the Baratheons are not.

Do they teach the difference between moral and physical courage in American schools?

Also, I'd exclude Renly from my earlier assertation.

ETA

That first bit came off as unnecessarilty rude.

There are different types of courage and I'd say both Robert and Stannis lack the moral kind, that they'd happily face "cannon and gunpowder, ere face the world's scorn".

Do they teach the difference between moral and physical courage in American schools?

I would argue Roberts morals of not wanting to argue with his wife over a dire wolf attacking his son are fine. As for stannis and cressen, I think Danm_999 said it best.

Renly? He's as spineless as you can get - making fun of Shireen's disfigurement and Brienne (but only when she's out of earshot - he knows she'll wipe the floor w/ his face).

Can you give me the quotes? Because the Brienne thing I thought was him reassuring Loras-or is that the show?

I would argue Roberts morals of not wanting to argue with his wife over a dire wolf attacking his son are fine. As for stannis and cressen, I think Danm_999 said it best.

Ha. He knew Cersei was wrong and Joff was lying-he just couldn't be bothered to fight Cersei.

"Lord Renly laughed. ”We’re fortunate my brother Stannis is not with us. Remember the time he proposed to outlaw brothels? The king asked him if perhaps he’d like to outlaw eating, shitting, and breathing while he was at it. If truth be told, I ofttimes wonder how Stannis ever got that ugly daughter of his. He goes to bed like a man marching to a battlefield, with a grim look in his eyes and a determination to do his duty.”

He also made fun of Selyse to Stannis' face while she wasn't there.

Can you give me the quotes? Because the Brienne thing I thought was him reassuring Loras-or is that the show?

Ha. He knew Cersei was wrong and Joff was lying-he just couldn't be bothered to fight Cersei.

Lol, can we blame him for not wanting to fight cersei? Even the bravest of folk would waver in the face of such a fierce lioness.

And the brienne thing was when Jaime and Lora's discuss renly. Lora's says he mocked her as a freak.

"Lord Renly laughed. ”We’re fortunate my brother Stannis is not with us. Remember the time he proposed to outlaw brothels? The king asked him if perhaps he’d like to outlaw eating, shitting, and breathing while he was at it. If truth be told, I ofttimes wonder how Stannis ever got that ugly daughter of his. He goes to bed like a man marching to a battlefield, with a grim look in his eyes and a determination to do his duty.”

He also made fun of Selyse to Stannis' face while she wasn't there.

Rude but hardly spineless?

Im on mobile, so it's hard to quote. The Brienne one iirc, was Loras telling Jaime that Renly thought accepting Brienne in RG is a joke (AFFC). The Shireen one- Renly comparing her to a gargoyle.

Archived