Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

The wiki gives the impression that Bittersteel only recovered Blackfyre after his duel, I also think that a duel between Blackfyre and Dark Sister would be mentioned.

Well Ser Eustace does say that Bittersteel/Bloodraven was only second to Daemon/Gwyane Corbray, which was also two Valryian steel swords, so I thought maybe they met around Daemon's body. Anyway, I thought maybe there was a SSM out there on the subject. Thanks, Bloodraven!

Has GRRM ever explained where he got Sansa's name? It sticks out given that so many non-Targ characters, especially in the lead cast, have fairly pedestrian real world names (Arya, Jon, Robert, Brandon, Arianne, Jaime, etc.) or revised spellings of fairly pedestrian real world names (Lyanna for Leanna/Lianna, Kevan for Kevin, Samwell for Samuel, Petyr for Peter, Eddard for Edward, Margaery for Marjorie, Catelyn for Caitlin, Lysa for LIsa, Jeyne for Jane, Alys for Alice, Alyx for Alix, etc.). I've seen it speculated that it's a reference to Sancha or Sancia of Aragon, who married Gioffre (Joffrey?) of the Borgias, but I can't help but wonder if it's inspired by the last name of the protagonist of Kafka's Metamorphosis, Gregor Samsa, especially given that the name Gregor found its way to a key character.

Has GRRM ever explained where he got Sansa's name? It sticks out given that so many non-Targ characters, especially in the lead cast, have fairly pedestrian real world names (Arya, Jon, Robert, Brandon, Arianne, Jaime, etc.) or revised spellings of fairly pedestrian real world names (Lyanna for Leanna/Lianna, Kevan for Kevin, Samwell for Samuel, Petyr for Peter, Eddard for Edward, Margaery for Marjorie, Catelyn for Caitlin, Lysa for LIsa, Jeyne for Jane, Alys for Alice, Alyx for Alix, etc.). I've seen it speculated that it's a reference to Sancha or Sancia of Aragon, who married Gioffre (Joffrey?) of the Borgias, but I can't help but wonder if it's inspired by the last name of the protagonist of Kafka's Metamorphosis, Gregor Samsa, especially given that the name Gregor found its way to a key character.

Gregor, no but nothing about Sansa. See here

And another bit here

I though Sansa came from Stanza and Arya came from aria.

Thanks for your answers... Any consistent theories on this matter? I feel the identity of this woman might be a key to aSoIaF outcome... A Stark maybe?

Or a Lannister?

There's a plausible theory that Aenys I Targaryen married a Stark, here. Egg is not that old a king by history, so if he had married a Lannister or a Stark, I think it might've been mentioned in some POV so far. Like we're reminded how Baratheon brothers have Targ blood through the female line.

There's a plausible theory that Aenys I Targaryen married a Stark, here. Egg is not that old a king by history, so if he had married a Lannister or a Stark, I think it might've been mentioned in some POV so far. Like we're reminded how Baratheon brothers have Targ blood through the female line.

Thank you very much Arya kiddin' (I like your avatar btw). As for one POV mentioning it or not, this is what strikes me actually. I have thought for a long time now that what the POVs do NOT say is often more important than what they do say or think: it can be like the no-incident of the dog in Sherlock Holmes (the fact that the dog did NOT bark led to the mystery solving) or on the contrary a deliberate omission from GRRM (easy when you only have very short discontinuous moments inside POVs) in order to hide some key plot clue. And I often come back to Ned's reply to Robert "your claim was better than mine" - which could imply a Targ / Stark link more indirect than Robert's (one generation above and through great uncles/aunts instead of a grand mother in this case).

As for the link you gave me, well, I have read it - and posted on it (I usually read all Apple Martini's topics, like many of us I suppose) in the hope of finding something on this matter but the subject was much further back in history and - again, not reading anything on the matter, I realised Egg's wife might still be a mystery (I have been unable to find the D&E stories other than the Mystery Knight).

ETA: spelling

Would Hoster Tully have been within his rights as Liege Lord to cut off Walder Frey's head after he didn't immediately come to his aid during Bob's Rebellion?

Not really. He did show up eventually. Sure Hoster knew what he was up to, but he didn't technically break his vows of fealty.

Not really. He did show up eventually. Sure Hoster knew what he was up to, but he didn't technically break his vows of fealty.

The war was won at the Trident but not over. There was still the possibility of a seige of KL. The Lannisters could have joined with Houses Targaryen, Tyrell & Martell.

Archived