The Blacklist

Salome the Persian Witch

I am watching it, but not loving it. I am interested in the sub-plot (of what's going on w/ the husband/Spader's connection to her) then to the main plotlines.

That's mostly whats keeping me watching, (and a little bit of Red's snark.) Not necessarily as an actual plot point, but from an emotional/relationship perspective. It would be totally uninteresting if he was a guy she had just met and had a fling with who turned out to have a strange, shady side. But this is her husband, of years, and they appear to have a perfectly solid if not spectacularly exciting marriage - that's actually interesting. How is she supposed to feel here? How is he supposed to feel?

OTOH, i'm desperately disappointed that angry blonde agent guy appears to have a dark and cheesy past, like everyone. I liked him a lot as just plain old competent-and-annoyed-at-all-your-drama man. But the slightly psycho CIA agent is kinda fun.

I am liking this show, despite the stupid. The two leads are great, we've got Charlie from Fringe, and the husband is getting better. I like that some of the mysteries have been revealed but they are piling up. I assume that the connection between Liz and Red will not be revealed for quite some time but I would like a better view of Red's agenda.

The ending of the most recent episode was interesting because it appears to imply that there's a third player in the game.

I assumed it was an extra layer of spying/security by whoever the husband works for, who would be Red's 'adversary', but apparently it's not.

It's a shame the thing with the husband ended the way it did though, as she has to find out for real eventually and we're gonna get basically the same thing again then.

Wait, what did I miss? I thought the husband thing is still up in the air? I mean, i'm convinced that he was just playing her the whole time, because otherwise it would be boring, but conceivably we don't know for sure he's not exactly who he says he is and being set up by someone, possibly by Red. Right?

Uh, pretty sure guy who played Charlie is not in this show?

I actually liked that things are still a bit up in the air about the husband, as now it's possible he didn't do anything at all. Also, it makes Red more of a threat and an asshole now that we know he was (is?) an arms dealer.

Also, sorry Arthmail but I think his face hubby's face possesses the hotness.

Really enjoying this programme. I was just thinking that it was getting a bit samey with how Red is able to manipulate every situation and then it introduced some kind of adversary that can outmanoeuvre even him.

The husband thing is still up in the air, as far as I can see. There's no evidence one way or another whether he's working for someone or is an unwitting pawn in somebody elses game. As for his blandness, it's kind of underdone by the fact that he's clearly gorgeous. I don't believe you get a character like that if you've spent your life being hot, even if you do wear glasses. Of course, that could be explained by an undercover identity I suppose.

Also how cool is Dressler? He just does all the cool secret agent stuff, without the necessity of any background detail whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

How odd.

Despite extremely heavily hinting that Red is Liz's real dad, a thing I rather didn't want this show to do (though it's still not certain, considering the thing with the scar on her hand- that hasn't been mentioned since episode 1, I hope they've not retconned it out - and the symbol on the box), that episode may have been the best one yet. Some genuinely quality stuff in there - the talk with the surgeon, Red killing her dad (though I saw it coming), the ongoing slow-build of the interactions between Liz and Ressler. And the villain of the week was something new as well.

Also Red on the swingset was, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

• 2 weeks later...

Brown girl is the mole. That is my guess.

Also, why does a black ops site in the middle of a major American city have so much god damned C4? It makes no sense. Another minor nitpick in what was otherwise a great episode, is how every time in a movie or tv show where they want to show the bad guys as total bad asses they have all of the elite tactical members of the good guys act look mooks. Not one shot was fired by one of the faceless FBI tactical members, at any point, which is ridiculous. I mean, when the bad crew was getting into the compound they shot the first two tactical members and then the other four on the elevator were just calmly walking towards it, not noticing at all that one of their guys had just been gunned down. By the time that anyone figures what is going on all of the tactical members are dead.

Another problem, why is that the followers of said bad guys just accept endless amounts of abuse and murder. If I saw that one of my fellow soldiers had been killed by a stray bullet, by the boss, who didn't give a shit, and then turned around to plug another round into the body, I would simply walk up and shoot him in the skull. The convention of all of the bad mercenaries being fanatical until the end, when in truth they are mercenaries, makes little to no sense, and it never has.

I would also imagine that at these black sites there is a requirement for someone to check in with a centralized command at least once an hour. So taking down their jammers would make no sense. And going back to my problem with the bad guy mooks having no character or reason to be there, who would attack an FBI black site on American soil knowing that they would never get out. While the crazy dude that wants to kill Red might have all the reason in the world, no one else does.

The preview for next week looks likes a fucking cliché. Now they are going to hunt Red down, because why not? He's only provided them with valuable Intel on a dozen very dangerous people. Of course he's not worth having anymore.

I love the series, but American television suffers from just a little bit of the stupid sometimes and it drives me nuts. That being said, we got to see Red be a badass this episode, and I could actually watch a great deal more of that. How he handled the shotgun, his choice of where to hide, his dealings with Rezzler as he worked to save his life. I really enjoyed all of it.

Also, why does a black ops site in the middle of a major American city have so much god damned C4? It makes no sense. Another minor nitpick in what was otherwise a great episode, is how every time in a movie or tv show where they want to show the bad guys as total bad asses they have all of the elite tactical members of the good guys act look mooks. Not one shot was fired by one of the faceless FBI tactical members, at any point, which is ridiculous. I mean, when the bad crew was getting into the compound they shot the first two tactical members and then the other four on the elevator were just calmly walking towards it, not noticing at all that one of their guys had just been gunned down. By the time that anyone figures what is going on all of the tactical members are dead.

You're not wrong. I also wondered why nobody called the police when a lot of gunshots went off in the loading bay. The site seems to be in some sort of urban area.

Archived