The Blacklist

Salome the Persian Witch

I dunno if anyone noticed, now that proper television like True Detective and Hannibal and that is starting up, but this came back from its Olympic hiatus last week.

It's not a patch on the aforementioned shows of course, and there's a certain sense of 'we really wish we didn't have to stretch this to 20 episodes' setting in, but I'm still finding it entertaining. Having finally dropped Agents of SHIELD, this is the sole remaining show from the ones I started watching in Autumn (Sleepy Hollow being the other one). Easily the best of them.

I'm still a fan of this show. Last night's episode was pretty good and I'm finally glad we got confirmation for something that's been a running story all along.

Spoiling some thoughts until people have a chance to catch up.

The husband must be the best damn spy ever though I'd be very surprised if it's all an act. Really curious to see how it plays out since this is one of the story lines I was interested in, mostly due to his "heartfelt" denials. Also, if this was supposed to be an act, what the hell were they going to do with a child? There has to be more there than just doing his job.

• 3 weeks later...

This week's episode was brilliant.

There's finally a point to the husband now that his double-agentry has been conclusively put on screen - and an interesting development now that he seems to be on the verge of going rogue from whatever 'Berlin' is, even though he clearly has no loyalty to Liz. Killing Jolene and the cowboy was cold (on a side-note, I hope I'm not the only one who gets ridiculously over-excited when any ex-Wire actor shows up somewhere else. Wee-bey, noooooooooooooooooo!).

And the A-plot was pretty strong too, good stuff from Ressler.

• 1 month later...

Hey, that was pretty good! I knew the Liz-Red-husband potential dynamics would be the most interesting thing this show could conjure up, why did it take so long to get there? Also, Josh Ritter song!

Love this show, but mainly because I am such huge fan of James Spader... Everything that man does has my seal of approval... And he is such delicious antihero as Red... Brilliant... And from Alan Shore's closing arguments from Boston Legal to Red's soliloquies in The Blacklist... Perfection.

And can someone explain me what is the problem in googling "Kraljevo" and finding its panorama. For that wasn't Kraljevo...

I pretty much only watched the whole season to see how the husband question would unravel. I like the scene where she finally confronts him and all he's got is...pity. That was nice, human, even sympathetic, but still firmly a villain vis a vis Liz, at least. It could have been schlocky or some cheesy thing where he fell in love with her after all or whathave you, but they didn't go there.

I pretty much only watched the whole season to see how the husband question would unravel. I like the scene where she finally confronts him and all he's got is...pity. That was nice, human, even sympathetic, but still firmly a villain vis a vis Liz, at least. It could have been schlocky or some cheesy thing where he fell in love with her after all or whathave you, but they didn't go there.

Well he does have feelings for her, but I am glad that they/he didn't go there, it is so much better this way.

I have no idea about when he said that Red wasn't what she thought he was. It kind of goes back to the Alan Alda role, and what Red is/has been doing all along.

Red I find kind of over the top. Sometimes it's fun, but sometimes he's just too much of a construct, too slick, too much a series of quips and cool poses rather than any approximation of a person. It's when he's running up against Liz's less glamorous anger or frustration that he's more interesting, or Tom's (carefully faked) ordinariness.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's finished for the season. It ended very strongly, I thought, though in the end I think the mid-season finale was slightly stronger than the actual one just for being a more focused story.

I found it a bit irritating that a big part of the plot hinged on the idea that not one of the prisoners could accurately get across the fact that Keyser Soze was cutting his own hand off, but the rest of it I liked. This show continues to resist the idea of dumping shocking twist after shocking twist on us, instead playing it much slower; and I have no idea what to make of the last two shots. Red being her dad or Berlin being her dad were both not unexpected outcomes, but to strongly hint at both of them at the same time implies there's something more complicated going on...

So it's finished for the season. It ended very strongly, I thought, though in the end I think the mid-season finale was slightly stronger than the actual one just for being a more focused story.

I found it a bit irritating that a big part of the plot hinged on the idea that not one of the prisoners could accurately get across the fact that Keyser Soze was cutting his own hand off, but the rest of it I liked. This show continues to resist the idea of dumping shocking twist after shocking twist on us, instead playing it much slower; and I have no idea what to make of the last two shots. Red being her dad or Berlin being her dad were both not unexpected outcomes, but to strongly hint at both of them at the same time implies there's something more complicated going on...

I agree

I knew as soon as the first one was like "he cut off his hand" that the one handed man was "Berlin". Then when they talked to him in the hospital I knew it for certain. He will make a brillant villain next season.

I got the sense, even though I'm not sure the ages line up, that Red is Keene's dad(burn scars) and Berlin is her grandfather(ages may not make sense here though) with the girl in the photo(#79?) being her mother and Red's wife/girlfriend(who was chopped up into little pieces and sent to Berlin). Berlin then blames Red for endangering her or not protecting her, hence the vendetta against Red.

At least thats my crazy theory, but again the ages seem odd, so maybe Keene is actually Berlin's neice and the woman that was chopped up was actually his sister and not his daughter.

I really enjoyed the whole season, Spader is just brilliant in is portrayal, and am looking forward to next season.

I agree

I knew as soon as the first one was like "he cut off his hand" that the one handed man was "Berlin". Then when they talked to him in the hospital I knew it for certain. He will make a brillant villain next season.

I got the sense, even though I'm not sure the ages line up, that Red is Keene's dad(burn scars) and Berlin is her grandfather(ages may not make sense here though) with the girl in the photo(#79?) being her mother and Red's wife/girlfriend(who was chopped up into little pieces and sent to Berlin). Berlin then blames Red for endangering her or not protecting her, hence the vendetta against Red.

At least thats my crazy theory, but again the ages seem odd, so maybe Keene is actually Berlin's neice and the woman that was chopped up was actually his sister and not his daughter.

I really enjoyed the whole season, Spader is just brilliant in is portrayal, and am looking forward to next season.

This seems about right actually since ages in TV don't always line up. Interesting thoughts though. I like it.

Definitely think the show ended strong though I was getting very annoyed that we weren't getting any answers to the season long questions. Still, thoroughly enjoyed how crazy it was. Good stuff.

• 4 months later...

Just watched season 1 across a few days. Thought Spader was amazing, carried the show. Lots of silly points (why oh why for these top end criminals don't you have like hundreds of police at some of these operations?) but generally I can easily gloss over them. I think the acting has been good, and the characters strong. It is the stories that I follow, and the Blacklist has developed its stories at a very good pace. Enough stuff ups alongside professionalism to keep it all human.

Have to watch last night's ep, but I'm enjoying this as well. It's not perfect but Spader makes it entertaining.

And I like Season 2 isn't a rehash of Season 1 - the plot is progressing steadily from S1's finale.

Not my favourite show. I think once all the really good TV starts up again I might end up leaving this to DVR each week and maybe come back to it during a slow TV period. It is an hour I can spend either reading or gaming with much more enjoyment, the only thing commending it is that it's time spent snuggling, which has its benefits.

Have to watch last night's ep, but I'm enjoying this as well. It's not perfect but Spader makes it entertaining.

And I like Season 2 isn't a rehash of Season 1 - the plot is progressing steadily from S1's finale.

Yep, the events of episode 1 put a real timer on the show. There will be consequences every show where they fail to get Berlin. While introducing new questions such as who the watcher is.

Archived