Ease off Jamie, he's a good guy.......

Spartan64Destiny

He's a lot like Tyrion in personality too. Both of them just like to hear themselves talk and make themselves seem like decent people.

ACOK: Tyrion talks about justice and fudges it up. Antler men, wildlings being out of control etc.

AFFC: Jaime talks about justice....by threatening to catapult babies and taking hostages from the people he wronged first.

He's a lot like Tyrion in personality too. Both of them just like to hear themselves talk and make themselves seem like decent people.

ACOK: Tyrion talks about justice and fudges it up. Antler men, wildlings being out of control etc.

AFFC: Jaime talks about justice....by threatening to catapult babies and taking hostages from the people he wronged first.

:agree:

damn should've wished for a pizza :P

Wow, so now we have a potato eating pizza. Technology certainly has gone too far...

I have a Stannis like view on Jaime

The good does not wash out the bad and the bad doesn't wash out the good. My perfect ending for Jaime is for him to either be the LC of the New Nights Watch or to serve his true king(who he will likely think is Jon when he finds out about Rhaegar+Lyanna=Jon) as a KG while following all of his vows.

A-men.

OP: "not as bad as Tyrion/Tywin" isn't exactly high praise.

*cue tidal wave of "Tyrion's a good guy!" posts*

Honestly, I would still say Tyrion is a better person then Jaime not that makes either one a good guy.

His lack of guilt over the Bran incident is disturbing.

And no, just saying one line doesn't mean he felt that much guilt about it.

Not only his guilt over the Bran incident. IMO in order for him to be on a road to redemption, he should feel remorse for a lot of the things, that he has done. But throughout my reading, I do not read him thinking about things, that he should have done different. I get, that he does not regret killing Aerys, but throughout his chapters he does not

- feel remorseful about pushing Bran out of the window

-think, whether he could have saved Rhaegar's children and his wife from his father's men

-wonder, what happened to Tysha

-acknowledge, that he has committed high treason (he slept with the queen, I do not really care about the incest)

-see any kind of causation of his actions (fathered the queen's bastards) and the War of the Five Kings

I like Jaime, but he is not redeemed - not even close. He's headed on the right path, but he's got a long way to go. He might feel guilty, but so far, all of his angst has been about himself, and he still hasn't openly admitted he was wrong about anything, let alone making amends. This about sums up my feelings.

Have you ever read 'Crime and Punishment'? Dostoevsky. It's not an easy read. It's about guilt and redemption. And I think if [Jaime] were to turn himself in and read this book and reflect on his crimes every day for seven years, in his cell... then he might be redeemed.

Sandor Clegane has (probably) begun that path; Jaime... not so much. He's not as bad as he was, but neither has he fully reversed course yet.

I disagree with both the "he's terrible" and "he's a good guy" camps. I find a lot in his character that's oddly admirable honestly-- for instance, I find it really interesting he's one of the only characters who crosses the morality line and doesn't come up with excuses or play a victim. And I don't think he's whiny; he's cynical. I would also say that he does feel remorse, but doesn't dwell.

I'm not entirely sure what the question is, is it "when will Bran finally get his much-deserved revenge on Jaime?" Because I can't wait for that! Maybe Jaime gets pushed from a tower just like Bran, giving him the same survival-changes he gave an 8-year old. Some poetic justice, would love to see that!

Not only his guilt over the Bran incident. IMO in order for him to be on a road to redemption, he should feel remorse for a lot of the things, that he has done. But throughout my reading, I do not read him thinking about things, that he should have done different. I get, that he does not regret killing Aerys, but throughout his chapters he does not

- feel remorseful about pushing Bran out of the window

-think, whether he could have saved Rhaegar's children and his wife from his father's men

-wonder, what happened to Tysha

-acknowledge, that he has committed high treason (he slept with the queen, I do not really care about the incest)

-see any kind of causation of his actions (fathered the queen's bastards) and the War of the Five Kings

4. He actually does acknowledge that he has committed treason, but he doesn't seem to blame himself for the the effects.

"He wondered what his cousin would say if he were to confess his own sins, the three treasons Cersei had named Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella."

This makes it worse, since he is probably willfully being ignorant.

Archived