Does Dany have prophetic dreams?

Little Balerion

will you change your mind on that is theres a battle in the next book the closely enough resembles the dream tyrion has in dance with barristan and bitteresteel (golden company) and ik there's more elements to it as well but those seem like something that could happen with barristan representing danys army and bittersteel aegons

If he ever actually has a dream that's prophetic and comes to pass, I'll change my mind. I just haven't seen any evidence of it yet and he has yet to really have any dream that really resembles what Dany and Jon both seem to have.

What really pops out is that Dany doesn't know the arms of House Martell. How the hell will she rule Westeros? :ack:

Well she didn't exactly have Egg's upbringing, or even Jon's for that matter. Joff probably knew what their arms were, didn't make him a great ruler though.

Well she didn't exactly have Egg's upbringing, or even Jon's for that matter. Joff probably knew what their arms were, didn't make him a great ruler though.

It does show a lack of familiarity with Westerosi families and their power dynamics. As in, if she doesn't even know the sigils, how can she be expected to know the politics? I think that was the poster's point.

it just shows her ignorance of her situation. Nobody was actively trying to support her aside from Dorne and when she humiliated Quentyn and he eventually got himself killed by her dragons while on a mission to find her, it effectively screwed all plans for anyone in Westeros to willingly support her.

This one?

Morroqqo and Bennero said there is a dark eye on Dany, I think this dream shows that it is Euron, "the Crow's eye".

That means he is watching her in some way, Idk there are some theories that Euron is a warg or could of been since he had a dream that he was flying when he was young like Bran. Ironborn have first men blood do its possible.

it just shows her ignorance of her situation. Nobody was actively trying to support her aside from Dorne and when she humiliated Quentyn and he eventually got himself killed by her dragons while on a mission to find her, it effectively screwed all plans for anyone in Westeros to willingly support her.

I think its because she had given up on westeros at that point, she was planning on living in meereen forever, so she took bringing peace in meereen more serious than forming alliances in westeros, if it was ASOS Dany she may have taken it more seriously.

It does show a lack of familiarity with Westerosi families and their power dynamics. As in, if she doesn't even know the sigils, how can she be expected to know the politics? I think that was the poster's point.

I think it could work to her favor, she has the benefit of seeing them all as a whole and if the Wall fails that will be more important than familial ties. If the Others arrive before her then Westeros will be every man for himself except perhaps in the North.

Upon rereading that chapter I think that comment was meant for the readers since not even a whole page above the comment she is looking at the seals on the letter:

The parchment was written in the Common Tongue. The queen unrolled it slowly, studying the seals and signatures. When she saw the name SerWillem Darry, her heart beat a little faster. She read it over once, and then again.

“May we know what it says, Your Grace?” asked Ser Barristan.

“It is a secret pact,” Dany said, “made in Braavos when I was just a little girl. Ser Willem Darry signed for us, the man who spirited my brother and myself away from Dragonstone before the Usurper’s men could take us. Prince Oberyn Martell signed for Dorne, with the Sealord of Braavos as witness.”

I think it could work to her favor, she has the benefit of seeing them all as a whole and if the Wall fails that will be more important than familial ties. If the Others arrive before her then Westeros will be every man for himself except perhaps in the North.

Or it could mean she's completely tone deaf and drastically underestimates how poorly an army led by ironborn, Tyrion, eunuchs, sellswords, etc. will be received. They won't be opening the gates for her when she shows up on an ironborn ship; they'll be trying to sink the fucking thing.

Before she has anything to do with the Others, if she does, there's still the matter of the second Dance of the Dragons. And there, knowing the families and their loyalties and backgrounds is pretty clearly an advantage.

Or it could mean she's completely tone deaf and drastically underestimates how poorly an army led by ironborn, Tyrion, eunuchs, sellswords, etc. will be received. They won't be opening the gates for her when she shows up on an ironborn ship; they'll be trying to sink the fucking thing.

Before she has anything to do with the Others, if she does, there's still the matter of the second Dance of the Dragons. And there, knowing the families and their loyalties and backgrounds is pretty clearly an advantage.

Like Aegon perhaps?

Don't get me wrong I completely agree that that is how she will be welcomed(or unwelcomed) if she shows up before there is a threat to the realm, but Aegon has been raised to be a king, but isn't one and since none of GRRM's characters seem to get an easy path I assume Dany will be the underdog if for no other reason than she is a main character.

What really pops out is that Dany doesn't know the arms of House Martell. How the hell will she rule Westeros? :ack:

Truly. I never thought of this before but I really wonder how she will handle this. I guess her countless advisers will take care of it - Barristan, Jorah, and soon Victarion, Euron, Tyrion.

If he ever actually has a dream that's prophetic and comes to pass, I'll change my mind. I just haven't seen any evidence of it yet and he has yet to really have any dream that really resembles what Dany and Jon both seem to have.

So your saying that there won't be a battle between aegon and dany i.e dance of dragons 2.0? because I could probably cite you differently on that; and that is what his dream is representing with him being on the battlefield with barristan(dany) and bittersteel(Aegon and golden company). So ether he has prophetic dreams or there's not going to be a dance of dragons 2.0 . Pick one

So your saying that there won't be a battle between aegon and dany i.e dance of dragons 2.0? because I could probably cite you differently on that; and that is what his dream is representing with him being on the battlefield with barristan(dany) and bittersteel(Aegon and golden company). So ether he has prophetic dreams or there's not going to be a dance of dragons 2.0 . Pick one

Tyrion dreams of "fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them." He doesn't dream of Barristan and Bittersteel fighting each other, he dreams of them fighting on the same side (along with Tyrion himself). And note that this dream comes a few pages after Tyrion is informed of the Golden Company's intention of joining with Dany, something which we know won't actually get to happen because of the second Dance.

And according to you, either Tyrion has prophetic dreams, or there isn't going to be a second Dance. Since we know there will be a Dance, by implication you're arguing that Tyrion does not have prophetic dreams. :)

Tyrion dreams of "fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them." He doesn't dream of Barristan and Bittersteel fighting each other, he dreams of them fighting on the same side (along with Tyrion himself). And note that this dream comes a few pages after Tyrion is informed of the Golden Company's intention of joining with Dany, something which we know won't actually get to happen because of the second Dance.

And according to you, either Tyrion has prophetic dreams, or there isn't going to be a second Dance. Since we know there will be a Dance, by implication you're arguing that Tyrion does not have prophetic dreams. :)

Well then his dream was partly wrong just like every other targ who ruined their own life from not being able to properly interpret their own dreams, considering the general consensus is that aegon and dany will come head to head. He is seein the dance of dragons in a dance with dragons, one of the defining moments of the book. And no by implication I'm implying that once the second dance comes to fruition we will have evidence of his prophetic dreams, I cant imagine that being hard to understand. And idk what your trying to accomplish with that smiley face, other than perpetuating the condescending effeminate nature of the trolls on this cite

What Tze said.

• 2 months later...

Here's the text of Daenerys's first dragon dream...

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud.

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. "You woke the dragon," he screamed as he kicked her. "You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon." Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid . . .

. . . until the day of her wedding came at last.

Daenerys recognizes that her brother, the apparent heir of Aerys Targaryen and Aegon the Conqueror is no "dragon." He simply doesn't have the mettle required to reforge their lost kingdom. Viserys was secretly abusive and she lived in secret fear of him but she was totally dependent on him. Of course Viserys's catchphrase, "You woke the dragon," is a foreshadowing by the George. The blood Daenerys dreams on her thighs and the ripping sound foreshadow the peculiar stillbirth of Rhaego. She was not meant to be the mother of Rhaego... The great crackling fire is the fire she will light to birth her dragons.

Here's the text of Daenerys's first dragon dream...

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud.

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. "You woke the dragon," he screamed as he kicked her. "You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon." Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid . . .

. . . until the day of her wedding came at last.

Daenerys recognizes that her brother, the apparent heir of Aerys Targaryen and Aegon the Conqueror is no "dragon." He simply doesn't have the mettle required to reforge their lost kingdom. Viserys was secretly abusive and she lived in secret fear of him but she was totally dependent on him. Of course Viserys's catchphrase, "You woke the dragon," is a foreshadowing by the George. The blood Daenerys dreams on her thighs and the ripping sound foreshadow the peculiar stillbirth of Rhaego. She was not meant to be the mother of Rhaego... The great crackling fire is the fire she will light to birth her dragons.

I have always seen this dream as propethic, and has taken it as forshadowing to her being a mother of Dragons.

So to answer the OP: yes, I believe her to have propethic dreams. Many in the series does.

because there have been some people such as

Spoiler
Teora Toland,
Tyrion Lannister who have dreamt of dragons. And I don't think either of these two have Targaryen blood in them. Could prophetic dreams be different from dragon dreams?

But the theory goes that Tyrion is half Targ - his mother having been taken by the mad king. Mixed coloured eyes, all three (all three births : Jon, Danny, tyrion result in death for their mothers; Tywin's 'I raised you as my son' quote) etc....

I don't think prophetic dreams are unique to Targaryens. Most Targaryens, like Aerys and Viserys and even Maester Aemon, never had any prophetic dreams that we know of. On the other hand, Jaime Lannister, of all people, has had dreams that could potentially be prophetic. I think it's a "natural" phenomenon that could affect anyone, although people with an innate affinity for magic (i.e. Bloodraven, Dany, Bran, Jon) are more likely to have prophetic dreams than people who don't, and certain families (like Targaryens and Starks) might be more likely to have that sort of magical aptitude.

Also, while this isn't really the right place to discuss it, I think the theory that Jaime, Cersei, and/or Tyrion are Targaryen bastards is utterly absurd. There's absolutely no evidence of that in the books whatsoever. The current crop of Lannisters might be distant descendants of the Targaryens due to marriages between the families centuries ago (which might explain traits like Tyrion's platinum hair), but the idea that they're Aerys' children? Ridiculous.

This was not a foreshadowing of Hizdahr dying?

That's what I read it as meaning too. Tyrion is described as having the blue lips and being cold as ice after nearly drowning, and we know Victarion has every intention of making Dany a widow.

Dany also thought this about Hizdahr in ADWD:

Dany filled his (Hizdahr's) wine cup again, wanting nothing so much as to pour the flagon over his head and drown his complacent smile.

Hizdahr seems a likely candidate to be sacrificed to the drowned god imo.

Archived