214 replies to this topic

#1 Galactus

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds, wearer of Purple Hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

So I watched it. I kind of liked it, had a lot of funny moment, some great Thor and Loki interaction, a weirdly charming romantic-comedy-esque introduction sequence, and lots of hammertime. 

Went in with low expectations that the movie exceeded. 

#2 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

So I watched it. I kind of liked it, had a lot of funny moment, some great Thor and Loki interaction, a weirdly charming romantic-comedy-esque introduction sequence, and lots of hammertime. 

Went in with low expectations that the movie exceeded. 

It's out already?

How would you rank it against the other Marvel movies?

#3 Stannis Eats No Peaches

Stannis Eats No Peaches

Compulsive Editor

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's out already?

It came out yesterday I think.

#4 Galactus

Galactus

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

It's out already?

How would you rank it against the other Marvel movies?

Hmm, better than Thor 1, the guy I was with liked it more than the Avengers. (I can understand why, since ethe latter was a bit messy, what with all the characters, but I still prefered Avengers) better than Captain America and better than Iron-Man 2 at least.

Mind, what I liked was mainly the funny bits and some of the character interactions, the plot itself was pedestrian even by Marvel Movie standards. (although I must say they've really done a good job of translation Kirby's artstyle into film, it's not "Oh, this is just like what I'd imagine Kirby art to look like!" but it's clearly they've been lookging at it and gone "How can we create a similar effect in film?") Love the vikings with laser rifles. 

#5 Pony Queen Jace

Pony Queen Jace

I Feel Like I Play For The Saints, I Just Want To Hurt You

• Members
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

I  was ready to watch this just for Tom Hiddleston (Loki), but I watched 'Thor' the other night on a whim and had a great time. Chris Hemsworth is very funny, and his rapport with Padme is good from a humor perspective.

The thing that I did not enjoy, however, was the fight at the end. I'd be happy watching Thor poke around earth and Loki scheme about for two hours.

#6 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks, Galactus. Good to hear.

I  was ready to watch this just for Tom Hiddleston (Loki), but I watched 'Thor' the other night on a whim and had a great time. Chris Hemsworth is very funny, and his rapport with Padme is good from a humor perspective.

Yeah, Thor on Earth worked well in the first one. I still laugh when I think of the coffee mug smashing, for some reason. I know it's silly, but I like it. Kat Dennings adds a lot to those scenes too. Loki goes without saying.

I'll see if I can get a sitter and take my wife out to see it. Even though I'm certain she'd leave me if Chris Hemsworth and his muscles showed up. :)

#7 Galactus

Galactus

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

There's a relatively pointlessly long scene with Chris Hemsworth just waking up and looking at the sunrise without his shirt on. 

#8 Galactus

Galactus

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Overall and this is weird, but in some ways... The movie felt like a chick flick. Which is not a criticism really but... There's just a bunch of stuff who felt like the makers went "Hey, y'know girls actually watch these things!" and tried to capitalize on that. I mean, it's not some kind of feminist tract or anything, it's just... Well, there's the Hemsworth shirtless scene. And the weird pseudo-rom com bits at the beginning. 

I mean, in some ways I guess the first Thor (and to some extent the other Marvel films were like that too) But I haven't really thought about it until now. 

#9 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm excited for this. I really liked the first Thor movie. Tom Hiddleston has really come into his own in the time being and I'm looking forward to his bits as well as Chris Hemsworth.

There's a relatively pointlessly long scene with Chris Hemsworth just waking up and looking at the sunrise without his shirt on.

Crucially important and not long enough scene!

#10 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Overall and this is weird, but in some ways... The movie felt like a chick flick. Which is not a criticism really but... There's just a bunch of stuff who felt like the makers went "Hey, y'know girls actually watch these things!" and tried to capitalize on that. I mean, it's not some kind of feminist tract or anything, it's just... Well, there's the Hemsworth shirtless scene. And the weird pseudo-rom com bits at the beginning. 

Judging from Lady Narcissa's (and my own wife's when I tell her) reaction to your pointless scene, the producers have a good handle on their target audience. ;)

I'm having a mind picture of several classic Bond moments that lingered on nothing but a woman walking out of the sea...

#11 cdawnb

cdawnb

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well, there's the Hemsworth shirtless scene. And the weird pseudo-rom com bits at the beginning.

Uh, you're sounding like you think this is a bad thing. As a woman, I can emphatically assure you that it is not.

#12 Galactus

Galactus

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Uh, you're sounding like you think this is a bad thing. As a woman, I can emphatically assure you that it is not.

Oh I don't, I actually kind of like it in fact. 

#13 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yes its nice to have a superhero movie where the males are objectified. It does bring in a group that might not otherwise go see it. I didn't bother to see Captain America in the theaters and I still haven't seen the last two Iron Man movies but I will be there opening weekend for Thor 2 as I was the first Thor movie.

#14 Galactus

Galactus

• Members
  • 26,720 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Oh yeah, and the movie is genuinely funny. There were several moments that made me laugh, and tons more that had the entire cinema laughing. 

#15 BearShin

BearShin

Land of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yes its nice to have a superhero movie where the males are objectified. It does bring in a group that might not otherwise go see it. I didn't bother to see Captain America in the theaters and I still haven't seen the last two Iron Man movies but I will be there opening weekend for Thor 2 as I was the first Thor movie.

There was plenty of male objectification in Captain America, though.

#16 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

There was plenty of male objectification in Captain America, though.

Maybe for some tastes. But the actor who plays Captain America is no Chris Hemsworth. And not just in physical appearance but the voice as well.

#17 Mosi Wanostracht

Mosi Wanostracht

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Loki is, obviously, wonderful. 

Is this a spoiler thread?

Given the end of the film, what the hell happened to Odin??

#18 kairparavel

kairparavel

MIND THE GAP

• Members
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

You can keep Thor. I'll take Loki, thanks! Love love love Tom Hiddleston.

#19 denstorebog

denstorebog

?

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

My review of Thor 2 with mild, non-spoiling spoilers:

Measuring this against the other Marvel movies requires that you regard Thor 2 as two movies: The first half and the second half. The first half, which sets up the plot, is a godawful mess. It has a lot of Shakespeare-in-the-park without the self-awareness that made Thor 1 so great. The villain is easily the worst in any of the Marvel movies, including The Abomination and Mickey Rourke. Quite simply, the villain wants to destroy the universe, and there's not a single scene - not a *single scene* - that gives us any indication why or whatfor. In summary, the first half of Thor 2 is down there with Hulk and Iron Man 2.

The second half (which, in my impression, begins when the setup is over and Thor embarks on a veritable quest with a few familiar faces), is very reminiscent of Thor 1 in its pacing and its wit. It's really good. The interaction between Loki and Thor is balanced between funny, threatening and honest. It's really worth waiting for. Even when it devolves into the mandatory mindless action climax, it literally does so in an out-of-this-world fashion. The final set piece is what you'd get if Valve made a Marvel movie. It's physics gone haywire, it's interdimensional, it's hugely entertaining.

The highlights:

- Loki and Thor interactions, especially in the second half.

- More of that fish-out-of-water comedy that made Thor 1 great.

- The whole climax. Some great ideas.

- A reeeeaally smooth cameo from a fellow Avenger that I hadn't heard about. It comes right out of the blue, and it's really funny.

- An actual, gods-honest ambivalent ending that'll have you smiling and wondering...

The downers:

- Worst villain in any Marvel movie so far, and worst threat/MacGuffin too.

- Convoluted setup in the first half; the editing and the pacing is actually really weird.

All in all, Thor 2 falls somewhere in the middle of the Marvel line-up. Thor 1 was cleaner and more focused, so it doesn't rank up there. At the same time, Thor 2 is not another Hulk or Iron Man 2; when it works well, it works well. A hit-and-miss that had me entertained.

#20 Calibandar

Calibandar

Herald of Winter

• Members
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Overall and this is weird, but in some ways... The movie felt like a chick flick.

I have a number of things to say about this film, having just seen it. But this is certainly one of the sentiments I had as well.

Very much so in fact.

This films feels a couple of things to me.

1) Childish. Dumbed down. It really lacks a serious vibe. The second half of the film especially seems to go off on comic relief, gags, a general lack of real drama. There were so many jokes that seemed to go down very well with the kids and teenagers in the cinema, but the gf and I found it too childish really.

2) The supporting cast is really bad. If I wrote this movie I would write out characters like Darcy, the intern, Erik Selvig ( who's just bad here). They get way too much screen time. Mind you, all the girls in the cinema loved the Darcy character like nothing else ( except maybe the Thor shirtless scene). The intern guy is just terrible, I despised his character. But the teen girls laughed their ass of at him and found him cute.

3) The villains are totally of the marvel villain variety. Incredible tech, sci-fi feel, but you just don't give a damn about their characters or about what their plans are. Not a single one of these films has a compelling villain IMO. Same for the Aether Macguffin.

No, the first Thor film definitely ranks higher on my list. I really liked that film and this one only has some nice moments, but feels too slight and lightweight on the whole. And like I said, we both came out of the cinema feeling that it's really targeted at a Young Adult audience. Maybe most of the Marvels films do, but then again I find most of them plain bad. The first Thor really appealed to me.

So what *did* I like?

Asgard looks awesome. Just gorgeous.

Heimdall is in it.

Thor has a few disappointing fights, but he does get some great hammer throwing scenes as well. I would re-watch this film just for those moments when he lays down the law.

The few Odin and Thor moments there are.

The Thor-Loki dynamic.

Overall, I really like Hopkins as Odin and they don't nearly give him enough to do. Give him more time please next time around and cut down on the human teens. Hiddlestone and Hemsworth also really inhabit their roles very well and that makes nearly any scene with one of these three in it, worth watching. Frigga is good to watch as well.

Reply to this topic