Why did Jon Arryn ask Robert to marry Cersei?

Ser Vaibhav Sharma

It was a good match, in fact. But Cersei already loved her brother, and Robert hadn't forgotten Lyana. Robert called her Lyana when they layed together. She tried to avoid him since that. Because of that, Robert found what he couldn't get from Cersei in other women, making her angrier.

Jon Arryn only knew they were a rich and powerful House, and the only hint of treason he had seen in them was Jaime killing the Mad King he had sworn to protect, and that had helped he and his allies win the war.

Why would he?

I think it's fairly obvious if Ned hadn't turned up the Lannisters weren't going to give up Kings Landing.

Tywins order to sack the city isn't initially throwing in his lot with Roberts Rebellion, he's readying himself to fight the remains of Roberts army and declare himself King, Neds flying column turns up before they are ready for a siege dashing Tywins plan.

Jon Arryn knows this, knows they need to get Tywin onside by giving him the sop of a royal marriage so he doesn't go for the crown himself.

He betrayed one, what's stopping him from betraying the other?

The other king not being an insane tyrant who kills innocent people?

I mean, he's taught Ned and Robert all they know and they're pretty smart the former is honourable(in his dying moments we learn that Robert has honour too) but Arryn of all people should've known that the Lannisters are devious and evil and hence they cannot be trusted.This has really baffled me.

LOL

Ned is not stupid but he's pretty naive, especially when it comes to the political games... and Robert was really one of the stupider people in the series, and had no idea how to rule. And Jon really doesn't seem to have been very competent himself - the crown had gone into a large debt and things really weren't great.

Not to mention he was stupid enough to raise Littlefinger to the position of treasurer on his wife's instigation.

The other king not being an insane tyrant who kills innocent people?

LOL

Ned is not stupid but he's pretty naive, especially when it comes to the political games... and Robert was really one of the stupider people in the series, and had no idea how to rule. And Jon really doesn't seem to have been very competent himself - the crown had gone into a large debt and things really weren't great.

Not to mention he was stupid enough to raise Littlefinger to the position of treasurer on his wife's instigation.

He swore to protect his King.

Also, Ned is smart on the battlefield, he is not cunning, just like Robert. According to what I've read till now Robert did a much better job then Malfoy's successor and The Mad King. See, he lost Lyanna, that really changed him. Ive read about Robert and his warhammer. His wife is cunning and devious, like I mentioned earlier. They were brave warriors. Killed by deceit and treachery.

As for the debt, yes Robert was not a great ruler, he was drunk most of the time.

They were not cunning enough.

Cersei was right "When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die, there is no middle ground".

Also, Ned is smart on the battlefield, he is not cunning, just like Robert. According to what I've read till now Robert did a much better job then Malfoy's successor and The Mad King.

Being a better king than the Mad King really isn't a high standard to set.

His wife is cunning and devious, like I mentioned earlier.

About Cersei being cunning... how much of the series have you read already?

He also swore to obey his father... and to protect the innocent.

Being a better king than the Mad King really isn't a high standard to set.

About Cersei being cunning... how much of the series have you read already?

He also swore to obey his father... and to protect the innocent.

Ive read the 1st book,.. just begun reading the second

Cersei is cunning, Robert died because for her and for all we know she might be responsible for Jon Arryns death too. She did all that to bring the Lannisters into power.

Cersei is cunning, Robert died because for her and for all we know she might be responsible for Jon Arryns death too. She did all that to bring the Lannisters into power.

I'd say Robert died because of his own stupidity more than anything else. I mean seriously Bob? Getting drunk while on a hunt?

Btw enjoy the book series.

I would say keep on reading......

Politically speaking it was a wise decision. Cersei brought with her the wealth of Casterly Rock (the Kingdom needed to be rebuilt after the sacking of KL & the general chaos war had brought which needed money which a newly crowned king was unlikely to have) & the strength & power of Lord Tywin Lannister. The Lannisters were devious & hence it made perfect sense to marry one of them, so as to ensure no harm came to the new King. History had already proved that things got nasty only when someone stood against Lord Tywin. So Jon advised Robert to marry Cersei & unite the two families in the strong bond of matrimony.

Also, Ned is smart on the battlefield, he is not cunning, just like Robert. According to what I've read till now Robert did a much better job then Malfoy's successor and The Mad King. See, he lost Lyanna, that really changed him. Ive read about Robert and his warhammer. His wife is cunning and devious, like I mentioned earlier. They were brave warriors. Killed by deceit and treachery.

As for the debt, yes Robert was not a great ruler, he was drunk most of the time.

They were not cunning enough.

Cersei was right "When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die, there is no middle ground".

That's one way of looking at it. They weren't cunning enough. On the other hand, you could view it as, family.

A strong marriage would have completely changed the situation. Robert's rule failed because his marriage failed.

Also, there appear to be very few Baratheons, and the few that there are don't all get on. Just as the side having greater numbers has the advantage on the field, is it not so in the political fighting?

Archived