Jon Snow's Vocabulary

Buckthorn

So I've been re-reading ASOS for the past 3 weeks and re-reads are great in my opinion, but it always makes me uncomfortable when I read a certain quote or scene that strikes me as out of place. In my case it is a certain word that Jon Snow uses in the Raiding of Castle Black by Styr Magnar of Thenn and during the Battle of Castle Black, the word is Whoreson. In the previous two novels I do not recall GRRM writing any Jon chapters where Jon uses such language, nor are we given any indication. Don't misinterpret my observation though, I only find it odd and funny to picture Jon Snow using such a word, I could picture a Sellsword like Bronn having the word Whoreson in his vocalbulary, but not Jon. So now I am curious as to whether Jon's contempt for Wildlings was so great that it would warrant him to call Styr a Whoreson. What do you guys think?

PS: I accidentally posted an unfinished version of this one, sorry.

I would think that Jon spent most of his life with highborn children and would have a very good vocabulary.

However, he has spent the last months/years training with lowborn "scum" sent to the Wall, and then with wildlings. It is very common to pick up the vernacular used by people around you to better fit in. I think he just picked up bad habits from his companions. Not to mention in the heat of battle I am sure a few curse words would be fitting.

Then when he becomes Commander, he returns to more refined comments.

What's with the hate?

Whoa, if there's hate, it's not coming from me! Just a lighthearted jest based on the fact that we know Jon feels he's a bastard, perhaps mothered by some camp follower, and was quite prickly about it.

But do they "even" know prostitution? I mean, it' not institutionalized beyond the Wall, is it? So do they actually curse like that? I have forgotten.

I don't think there is any society in our own world that has not had prostitutes, that's why its called "the world's oldest profession", I think it's the same in GRRM's world.

Archived