What if the boar ran away and Robert learned the truth?

LordPathera

I tend to agree with most of the suggestions here and only have a tuppence or two to add.

I don't think Varys would have Robert killed because the V-I plan was not yet ready. He was after all attempting to avert the WOT5K by convincing Ned to take the black. Now, Littlefinger would have been tempted to off Robert to create chaos and open up some ladder climbing spots. But LF would probably have refrained because he wouldn't want to take a chance on Stannis being the replacement.

I agree with most posters that Robert would not have killed Tommen or Myrcella, but IMO he wouldn't have had Joff killed either. Yes, Robert hated Joff and surely knew him for the cowardly rat he was. Nonetheless, he was aware of public opinion about the murder of the young Targs. And Ned probably could have dissuaded them. I think the idea that Robert would send the boys to the NW and Myrcella to the SS is right. Not only would that have gotten them out of the way and out of the line of succession, but it would have dedicated them to the betterment of the kingdom. Win win.

The story would be over by now and this forum would not exist. (probably)

Perhaps but the KL story arc is not the only one we still have story of Jon at the Wall, not to mention the parade of ladies to marry Robert from other houses and Dany in Essos, and I think Tywin would have initiate a war still, and of curse it wouldn`t be AFFC. I almost forgot Petyr Baelish

Stannis would be stripped of his lands and titles. Remember Stannis knew of this and fled KL when JA died. Robert would never forgive him. All this would happen after he decimated "his family".

Robert would definitely be pissed off at the Mannis, but I doubt Ned would let him go so far as to strip him of lands and titles. Robert would yell at Stannis, Stannis would sulk and brood and grind his teeth, in the end everything would be business as usual between the Baratheon brothers.

Robert would definitely be pissed off at the Mannis, but I doubt Ned would let him go so far as to strip him of lands and titles. Robert would yell at Stannis, Stannis would sulk and brood and grind his teeth, in the end everything would be business as usual between the Baratheon brothers.

Ned would not stand up for Stannis in this. Ned would think him honor bound to tell his brother. Both Stannis and Ned are about doing the what is 'right", but they go about it differently. Ned would feel bad for him, but that is it.

I don't think Robert would strip Stannis entirely, but I agree there would be consequences. I also agree Ned himself would be pretty unbelieving that Stannis knew and just...left.

I think Renly would benefit, riding above Stannis as next Hand in the event that Ned is released. Especially if the Tyrell bond he was orchestrating becomes reality.

• 9 months later...

Simple.

After hearing the truth Robert would be furious and will not believe it initially but slowly the reality will sink in.

He would then want to kill Cersei, Jaime and may be even the children but Ned will prevent thay.

Ned will propose trial for the twins.

He will also allow Jaime to choose trial by combat.

There were other methods in place to have Robert killed, even if he made it back.

If Cersei didn't flee, Ned would still keep the secret from Robert. Ned can never bring himself to be the cause of innocent children's death.

The truth, from Ned's mouth, would never reach Robert's ear until all 3 children were safely spirited away.

There were other methods in place to have Robert killed, even if he made it back.

If Cersei didn't flee, Ned would still keep the secret from Robert. Ned can never bring himself to be the cause of innocent children's death.

The truth, from Ned's mouth, would never reach Robert's ear until all 3 children were safely spirited away.

No, there weren't. That's just Varys bullshitting to convince Ned. He's oddly unspecific, and Cersei never even thinks about it, nor does she ever have a plan B.

And no, Ned would tell Robert.

I think that it would be a lot different conflict when the Targaryens returns. The Tyrells for instance won't have Ned's problems to get Daenerys executed and with no internal threat to the Tyrell rule these can focus on outside threats.

Lots of things that can change one way or another here.

Joffrey would inherit nothing. The heir to Casterly Rock is Tyrion. Then Kevan, then Lancel, then Daven. Joffrey would be killed by either Robert or Tywin. Cersei and Jaime would be killed on treason. Tywin would be allowed to keep his lands for he did nothing wrong.

Baelish killed Jon Arryn to start war for chaos and to widow Lysa. He was only allowed to marry her to "bring her into the fold" for the Lannisters.

To be honest, without the Stark/Lannister war, he would not be half as powerful as he is in AFFC. He would have no Harrenhal and therefore no status so the Lords of the Vale would not accept him as Robert Arryn's regent.

He would have to create a war. He would probably try to kill Robert and preserve Joffrey's reign

Joffrey would inherit nothing. The heir to Casterly Rock is Tyrion. Then Kevan, then Lancel, then Daven. Joffrey would be killed by either Robert or Tywin. Cersei and Jaime would be killed on treason. Tywin would be allowed to keep his lands for he did nothing wrong.

Baelish killed Jon Arryn to start war for chaos and to widow Lysa. He was only allowed to marry her to "bring her into the fold" for the Lannisters.

To be honest, without the Stark/Lannister war, he would not be half as powerful as he is in AFFC. He would have no Harrenhal and therefore no status so the Lords of the Vale would not accept him as Robert Arryn's regent.

He would have to create a war. He would probably try to kill Robert and preserve Joffrey's reign

Why would Tywin kill Joffrey?

And what about Myrcella and Tommen?

After killing Cersei Robert repudiates the debt to the Lannisters and demands that Tywin and Jaime report to KL. He might be angry enough to do an Aerys and roast one while strangling the other if the obey. If they don't he declares them traitors and sends an army to seize them. An army with a big Dornish contingent led by Oberyn.

After settling Tywin and Jaime he sets Tyrion up as lord of Casterly Rock.

The Dornish didn't like Robert either...Oberyn said he would crown Viserys...

If the boar didn't kill Robert, something (or someone) would have killed him instead. Too much hangs for too many people on Robert dying via convenient accident, and AGOT Cersei (in marked contrast to how she is later written) is no fool. Gambling everything on a single throw of the dice is not enough: there are plenty of ways to organise a hunting accident, and the boar is just one of them.

Archived