Notable Releases
From the Store
Game of Thrones House Sigil Wine Glasses [Set of 4]
Sigil Wine Glass Set
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Ned Stark, who is this man he's thinking about?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Slavers Bay City Rollers

Slavers Bay City Rollers

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas? 

#2 LordStoneheart

LordStoneheart

Husband of the Damned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

I read the title and thought Robert. Definitely Robert.

Not sure about the actual question posed though.

#3 Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark

blank

• Banned
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas? 

Greyjoy Rebellion?

#4 Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think is Littlefinger

Edit: I read that would be the first time

I believe it is was Tywin

Edited by Bruce Wayne, 11 November 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#5 David Selig

David Selig

Council Member

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Tywin probably.

Edited by David Selig, 11 November 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#6 Mad Monkey

Mad Monkey

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

I always assumed it was Tywin, who was his ally against the Greyjoy rebellion.

#7 MotherMerciless

MotherMerciless

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Rhaegar? Because of Jon?

#8 The Fallen

The Fallen

If at first you don't succeed, catapult them again.

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

` In his life I'd say it's been many. But I second David Selig and say it's Tywin first and foremost.

Edited by The Fallen, 11 November 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#9 Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark

blank

• Banned
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Rhaegar? Because of Jon?

I was thinking that too.

#10 Borsabil

Borsabil

Council Member

• Banned
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Tywin I suppose, when the Lannisters joined Roberts rebellion before the sack of KL.

#11 Bloodraven's Lost Eye

Bloodraven's Lost Eye

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

I believe it is Jaime Lannister.

#12 Slavers Bay City Rollers

Slavers Bay City Rollers

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I always assumed it was Tywin, who was his ally against the Greyjoy rebellion.

Did Tywin take part in the crushing of the Greyjoy's? I suppose that's the most logical answer.

#13 Usrnmhsnomning

Usrnmhsnomning

mynmismike

• Banned
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I believe it is Jaime Lannister.

The implications of what few conversations they had is that they had very little, if anything, to do with each other between the throne room incident and Jaime coming to Winterfell. Presumably Jaime stayed at Kings Landing to protect the queen (hah) while Robert was punching jaws on the Iron Islands.

It's gotta be Tywin. Remember Ned stayed in the North except for the Greyjoy rebellion, so it can only be Tywin (or perhaps Roose, although we've got no real info on their interactions).

#14 LordStoneheart

LordStoneheart

Husband of the Damned

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

Rhaegar? Because of Jon?

I don't think so. Ned didn't seem to despise Rhaegar at all in his thoughts.

#15 Ally Cat of the canals

Ally Cat of the canals

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Tywin Jamie one of those two I would guess. Or it could even be Roose Bolton Ned would haveknown what the man was really like but not have been able to do anything I think its pretty common knowledge that Roose enjoyed rape and flaying and I can't imagine Ned and his honor liked that very much but Roose was very useful and the North probably wouldn't have been very supportive in Roose being removed as head of house Bolton. In fact this is one of those questions the more you think about it the more people you can think of Ned not liking clegane, frey,

#16 Arya kiddin'

Arya kiddin'

Needle's Sheath

• Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Jaime or Tywin I believe.

#17 Mad Monkey

Mad Monkey

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Did Tywin take part in the crushing of the Greyjoy's? I suppose that's the most logical answer.

The Lannisters fought the ironborn at Lannisport (and lost). I also think they were part of the Iron Throne force that Robert assembled when he called his banners.

#18 Bloodraven's Lost Eye

Bloodraven's Lost Eye

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

The implications of what few conversations they had is that they had very little, if anything, to do with each other between the throne room incident and Jaime coming to Winterfell. Presumably Jaime stayed at Kings Landing to protect the queen (hah) while Robert was punching jaws on the Iron Islands.

It's gotta be Tywin. Remember Ned stayed in the North except for the Greyjoy rebellion, so it can only be Tywin (or perhaps Roose, although we've got no real info on their interactions).

Yes, but the few things they did have to do with each other is exactly making comon cause with somebody he despises. He's the first one to enter the throne-room and if it were up to him he'd have Jaime put to trail for breaking his vows, but it's Robert that talks him out of it. All other times they meet it's very clear Ned despises Jaime, more than any other character.

He would despise Tywin aswell, but unlike Jaime Ned would respect him as a competent battle commander and leader.

Edited by Bloodraven's Lost Eye, 11 November 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#19 MotherMerciless

MotherMerciless

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't think so. Ned didn't seem to despise Rhaegar at all in his thoughts.

Yes, that is the only problem I had with that. I came up with reasons though: He impregnated his sister out of wedlock (maybe, don't know if they married), he stole his sister from his best friend, to whom she was betrothed. I don't think he'd hate him over what his father did though.

Now, I don't recall him ever thinking about Rhaegar, much less in the sense thst he hated him. This may have been intentional, so Martin makes people even more surprised with R+L=J.

Does fit quite well if he did in fact hate him.

#20 Usrnmhsnomning

Usrnmhsnomning

mynmismike

• Banned
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yes, but the few things they did have to do with each other is exactly making comon cause with somebody he despises. He's the first one to enter the throne-room and if it were up to him he'd have Jaime put to trail for breaking his vows, but it's Robert that talks him out of it. All other times they meet it's very clear Ned despises Jaime, more than any other character.

He would despise Tywin aswell, but unlike Jaime Ned would respect him as a competent battle commander and leader.

Ned and Jaime have never had "common cause". They have never had to work side by side for anything. The throne room incident wasn't "common cause".