Ned Stark, who is this man he's thinking about?

If it was Tywin I'd say they would have worked together breaking the siege of Storm's End as Tywin himself said they needed to prove themselves as they came late into Robert's Rebellion.

Could be Godric Borrell (Lord of one of the Three Sisters) we know that Ned's boat crashed there when he was trying to get back to the North to call his banners and Borrell helped him despite being a rebl.. Borrell is a smuggler I can't see Ned liking him.too much.

The implications of what few conversations they had is that they had very little, if anything, to do with each other between the throne room incident and Jaime coming to Winterfell. Presumably Jaime stayed at Kings Landing to protect the queen (hah) while Robert was punching jaws on the Iron Islands.

It's gotta be Tywin. Remember Ned stayed in the North except for the Greyjoy rebellion, so it can only be Tywin (or perhaps Roose, although we've got no real info on their interactions).

Wasn't it Jaime and Thoros of Myr who went first through the breach at Pyke? Pretty sure that Jaime was boasting about it to Jory in the TV series but can't quite find the location in the book atm. Robert and Ned commanded the battles on Pyke, if I'm not mistaken.

Wasn't it Jaime and Thoros of Myr who went first through the breach at Pyke? Pretty sure that Jaime was boasting about it to Jory in the TV series but can't quite find the location in the book atm. Robert and Ned commanded the battles on Pyke, if I'm not mistaken.

I think that you are thinking about Jorah Mormont who won his spurs at Pyke if I recall. We have no mentioning of what Jaime was doing during the Greyjoy Rebellion.

I agree with a majority of posters that it should be a Lannister. But I imagine "common cause" as something more narrow than a whole Robert's Rebellion, or a war against Greyjoy. I think this "common cause" is making Robert the King, and then Ned is thinking of both Tywin and Jaime. The time is right before and right after the sack of KL.

It should be Jorah and Thoros, not Jaime. He was in King's Landing "guarding" Cersei and conceiving Myrcella.

I think the answer is Tywin, after the sack and Elia's Children, and during the Greyjoy Rebellion.

I always thought it was Roose Bolton having fought together in Robert's Rebellion and I assume in the Greyjoy Rebellion.

I agree. Roose is who I thought of when I reread that chapter. It would be an irony (or foreshadow) if Ned always disliked the man who eventually betrayed & killed his son.

Archived