Aussies: Even an American Can Start a Thread About Them

MercenaryChef

Something you'd be delighted with I'm sure, but it's hardly surprising. ;)

I suspect many of the remaining 52.6% are very nominal "Christians" at best, I believe less than 10% of the population actually attends church on anything approaching a regular basis.

You're pretty spot on with that less than 10% figure

Not sure if you're talking to me or Gears, Robin, but as a practising Christian who regularly attends church, I can tell you that no way do we represent 61.14% of the population.

I'll gladly take your money on that bet, though.

I'm sure there's a decent amount of the population that is generally supportive of Christian principles (which is probably where those high percentages come from), but in terms of having a personal belief and regularly attending church, that's where I'm pulling out the lesser figure. This is mainly because I'm from a Protestant background - generally Protestant and Catholic circles have different views on the matter. Most Protestants have stricter criteria, identifying a Christian as someone who holds a personal belief in Jesus Christ (which, by the way, means you could be a churchgoer and still not a Christian). While I'm not a Catholic, I have a feeling that many people who call themselves Catholic may be speaking about being 'culturally Catholic' (ie raised in a Catholic family or brought up in Catholic tradition) rather than a spiritual belief as such.

I'm the youngest of 6 with all of us raised Catholic by our 2 parents. One of those parents no longer attends church, I believe the oldest sibling does, the second oldest is non Catholic Christian and definitely does. Then you have 3 who would identify as Christian but are lucky to show up to even Easter and Christmas masses, followed by me the militant atheist. Doesn't get you down under 10%, but the percentage of this country that attends weekly church is way way lower than the amount that self identify in the census etc.

I know it's not the same in the US, we are more secular than we appear here.

I'm the only member of my extended family that wouldn't select christian on the census but I've never known a single one of them to walk into q church other than weddings and baptisms.

Even my great-grandparents had secular funerals.

So you're redefining Christian to justify bogus statistics. Bet you can't back up that 10% figure.

What are you talking about? No-one's redefining anything. Yes, as the Wikipedia article you quoted (for some reason) states; in 2011 we had about 60% and as the article I linked states that's gone down to 52.6% since then. Making them almost a minority.

The 10% figure is definitely accurate, and has been for years - as more Wikipedia research will no doubt demonstrate.

Haha pretty funny to lose a Premier over a bottle of wine. Let's hope the next one is anti-lockout!

Well the Penfolds Grange Hermitage in question isn't just a bottle of wine (proud South Aussie here)....

Certainly not something you would forget being given as a gift imho.... unless you are accustomed to getting $500 pressies every week?

Not sure if you're talking to me or Gears, Robin, but as a practising Christian who regularly attends church, I can tell you that no way do we represent 61.14% of the population.

I'll gladly take your money on that bet, though.

I'm sure there's a decent amount of the population that is generally supportive of Christian principles (which is probably where those high percentages come from), but in terms of having a personal belief and regularly attending church, that's where I'm pulling out the lesser figure. This is mainly because I'm from a Protestant background - generally Protestant and Catholic circles have different views on the matter. Most Protestants have stricter criteria, identifying a Christian as someone who holds a personal belief in Jesus Christ (which, by the way, means you could be a churchgoer and still not a Christian). While I'm not a Catholic, I have a feeling that many people who call themselves Catholic may be speaking about being 'culturally Catholic' (ie raised in a Catholic family or brought up in Catholic tradition) rather than a spiritual belief as such.

Hi Guys,

I would agree with this assessment that most of us were/are culturally raised in a faith (myself Catholic) yet I haven't set foot in a Catholic church since my kids went to school, about 14 years ago. Many of us choose the option of sending our kids to a religious school in an effort to get a decent education for our kids as well.

Coming from a mainly European influenced society Christianity was the core religion for many years with no options. Lots of Aussies practice what we might think of as 'Christian Principles' but those could just as easily be considered to be spiritual or karmic beliefs as well. I tend to tick the spiritual box more often now, maybe just because we are now given that choice.

Since the 1970's we had a huge influx of Asian refugees arrive & bring beliefs that are very different to anything we might have come across, but Aussies are very inclusive & don't much worry as long as you don't make it compulsory lol..... In the last 5-10 years the African refugees & migrants from the middle east have brought Islamic beliefs & with the terrorism scare that Islam, evokes for many people that's a bit scary, so on the flip side I know quite a few people who have never been baptised or set foot in a church identify as being Christian so they can display prejudice & religious bias, so it's not a static figure due to our high migration rate.

Also many of us choose the option of sending our kids to a religious school in an effort to get a decent education for our kids as well which is a pretty sad state.

But I'm not complaining, I've lived in the US for a few years & had fun but this is where I wanted to bring up my kids - we are pretty lucky overall.

Pretty much agree with the entirety of Jeor's post, particularly his thoughts on "cultural" Catholicism. My dad, for example, has an Italian background, identifies as Catholic, teaches at a Catholic school (has done for around 30 years) and even teaches religious education at that school, but doesn't have strong views on the existence of God and certainly doesn't attend church that regularly. My mum often refers to him as an RC: Retired Catholic.

Anyway, hope everyone had a nice Easter break :thumbsup:.

21/25 on the test. Liked the inventions question coz I wrote the Wikipedia article on that. Wasnt Mark Waugh's nickname Junior? I'm going to test myself here by saying I'm going to stay out of the politics.

Ha! Pretty awesome (especially liked "The Twins"). I somehow missed that, so thanks for posting.

Hope everyone here had a great long weekend (and didn't lose as much money as me playing two-up).

I hope it catches a few corrupt politicians, who cares what party they're affiliated with?

Indeed. But to move away from politics a bit, a little informal poll.

Is vegemite better on white bread?

Archived