How many men to take down Gregor Clegane?

LordFirkraag

Why take him on the battlefield when you can slip something in his drink?

That's for women, craven and eunuchs! :P

I'd go with the dragon approach - one well-aimed arrow through the eye could do the trick...

That's for women, craven and eunuchs! :P

I'd go with the dragon approach - one well-aimed arrow through the eye could do the trick...

So you're saying that while it might take many men, one woman could do it? :smug:

I also like the arrow approach. I know that we're all expecting a final showdown between the mountain and the hound, but part of me hopes that Theon (a skilled archer) will be the one who takes down Robert Strong. Extremely unlikely, but I want him to redeem himself in a big way!

A creature like Gregor has to be put down with extreme prejudice. He has a lot of endurance, so if you can light him on fire from a distance with flaming arrows (how flammable is a knight in armor?) or fling rocks at him somehow that would be ideal. I don't think i's a good idea to get in close quarters contact with him because he can inflict a ridiculous amount of damage in no time at all if you give him even a tiny opening. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending anything less than an armored tank or 3-4 fighter jets after him. The freak can probably catch a missile in his teeth though...

So you're saying that while it might take many men, one woman could do it? :smug:

Well, the few women who are taught how to fight in this series tend to be conditioned to be cool, unemotional, and methodical in their fighting. I can't imagine Brienne or even Arya standing over a fallen but not defeated opponent and waiting to get pulverized.

Can't say it hadn't cross(bow)ed my mind when after I read the title! :D A bit too Tolkienesque, perhaps...

I know many would like Sandor to finish him off for good, but I like to play around with the idea of the Clegane little sister who died under suspicious circumstances... Wouldn't it be ironic if the Mountain would end up dead in the hands of some little girl, Arya would be the first one to come to mind, or perhaps one of Varys' little birds!

There are individuals that outclass Gregor so much in terms of skill that his size, reach, and strength advantages can be overcame with relative ease in some cases...

Oberyn Martell, prime Jaime Lannister, a younger Barristan Selmy, and Arthur Dayne all come to mind as too skilled for Gregor.

Bronn on a good day sounds like a bad matchup for Gregor aswell. I see him exhausting the oaf and then getting him off his feet somehow, game over..

Victarion would be my dream matchup for Gregor though because I doubt he'd be intimidated and he'd attack Gregor head first which would make for a very entertaining fight.

0,1 % of the Tyrell army. One Dornish woman. One archer from the Marches. One crippled, clumsy Northman(since they are worth any ten southerners). One giant with similar equipment.

Clegans armour and fighting prowess doesn't stand up to King Bob and his Warhammer. Or the really skilled fighters (although I'd give any of them a decent chance at death, Oberyn uses a spear to counter the reach, but Jaime, Arthur, Barristan and Bronn seem to be primarily swordsmen).

I wouldn't send less than 20 normal men at arms against him, 100 or more if I had them. You're going to kill someone like Clegane then you'd make sure he ends up dead, with no chance of survival.

Clegans armour and fighting prowess doesn't stand up to King Bob and his Warhammer. Or the really skilled fighters (although I'd give any of them a decent chance at death, Oberyn uses a spear to counter the reach, but Jaime, Arthur, Barristan and Bronn seem to be primarily swordsmen).

I wouldn't send less than 20 normal men at arms against him, 100 or more if I had them. You're going to kill someone like Clegane then you'd make sure he ends up dead, with no chance of survival.

I see Gregors reach with that 6 ft greatsword and his unusually thick plate negating Robert's warhammer advantage. In fact Gregor is sorta a walking anti-Robert for the following reasons.

-Robert isn't fast enough to get in and out of Gregor's reach.

-Robert isn't known for intelligence and would likely attack Gregor head on.

-Gregor's thick plate would see that only heavy blows cause any actual damage and In doing so leaves Robert vulnerable while loading up for hard swings.

-Warhammers are slower to wield than a sword.

If you are talking in a scrap with average men, then three to be sure. Anything less is too much of a gamble. There isn't a man alive who can beat three opponents unless they come at him one at a time in the traditional movie/TV style. Except Chuck Norris, obviously.

That's "IF" all three men aren't intimidated...

Which is typically not the case when the average man sees the 8ft 420+ lb Mountain that rides.

Archived