Baby Names of Ice and Fire

RhaenyraTargaryen

Listen, it can get ridiculous sometimes. Middle names, sure (I personally want to give my first born the middle name "Stannis"), but it can get out of hand. Naming your child "Khalessi" is one thing that pisses me off. Why? Cause it isn't a god damn name. It's a title. It's the equivalent of calling your child "wife".

Names like Jaime, Brienne, Robb, Arya and maybe Jon is okay. But I wouldn't want to name a child "Rhaegar", or "Eddard".

It's kind of insulting naming a child off characters off a show or book, as well. Imagine if your father said "well, your name is Frodo because he's my favourite character from the Lord of the Rings".

People can do as they like, but that's my opinion.

I'm pretty certain my kids aren't going to be ruined for life for having ASOIAF names.

Husband and I have been fans of the series for 13+ years and knew we'd borrow from the books. My daughter's middle name was Arya and son's first name is Brandon. Also, he's got a onesie with a direwolf on it.

I'm not saying his middle name.

All the Starks have conventional names, with just minor spelling variations, so you can be safe calling them by these names. Sansa is a little unusual although I am told it is Indian. Rickon is also I think a "real" if little used and Eddard is just a Frenchified version of Edward or Eduard.

Sam is just a variant of Samuel and of course Jeynes and Bethany and Barbary are also REAL names used in past generations. Arianne is a short version of the very pretty Arianna (a Greek name).

Peter Pan has had a much wider reach than ASoIaF or Game of Thrones will ever have and so Wendy will raise far fewer eyebrows than Jaehaerys. If you must do it, at least give the child a nickname from day 1 and stick to it, like Dany for Daenerys. My point is that I worry about parents giving their children "baby names" because they're "sweet" and not thinking about how the child will like it when they grow up. Don't give your child a "baby name" because they're not babies for very long.

Not that it's my place to tell parents what to do with their babies, of course.

This was common in the fifties: Betty, Connie, Patty, Kathy, etc. Nicknames do not belong on birthcertificates...formal names do.

• 6 months later...

Archived