NFL 2013-14 Week 12: Brady-Manning-Pocalypse Now

DanteGabriel

At the same time, I can definitely see the strain on the average NFL fan who is constantly being fed and re-fed this story of the two great QBs squaring off against each other.... again... and again. and again... and again only this time at Foxboro... or at RCA... or in the playoffs... and again... and again... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To me, its kinda similar to the way I fee when I hear - and you may not know this - that Eli and Peyton Manning are brothers and they play each other. This leads to hard hitting stories like "Which one of you is the better athlete" and "How competitive were you as kids" and "Which one of your sons, Archie, will you be rooting for?" Fuck, seriously, kill me.

Now.... to me... its special. Manning and Brady are that rare breed that comes around- almost literally- once in a generation. Not every boxer out there had the Frazier to their Ali; not ever Bird had a Magic; not every Kofax had a Gibson. And the times these guys got on the court or field together was so very rare. These two guys carry with them an almost equal time at the same position and also possess two VASTLY different stories and VASTLY different paths to both take over two languishing and forgotten franchises and brought them both to unprecedented levels of success.

Brady and Manning seem to be the best players at the most important position in America's greatest sport. To see them go against each other- even as their abilities wax and wane - is the continued enjoyment of watching a great saga time and time again because we all know its not going to happen for much longer.

Brady and Manning seem to be the best players at the most important position in America's greatest sport. To see them go against each other- even as their abilities wax and wane - is the continued enjoyment of watching a great saga time and time again because we all know its not going to happen for much longer.

Looks like AFC East will play AFC West in 2014, so if both guys are still around and healthy, we should see this matchup again next year. But yeah, we're perilously close to our last Brady-Manning duel (standard caveat that they play against each other's defenses, not each other, etc).

In recent NFL news, SI had a good article about Slingin Sammy Baugh. In the 1943 season, he led the NFL in pass completions, interceptions (caught, not thrown) and net punt yards. Here are a few gems:

Versatility was at a premium. This was especially true in 1943, when the NFL reduced squad sizes from 33 to 28 so its travel needs wouldn’t infringe too much on the war effort....That’s why Baugh, who before the war usually played only half the game, often went the full 60 minutes in 1943. It also helps explain why his statistics spiked dramatically—his touchdown passes from 16 to 23, his interceptions from five to 11. He might have been having a career year, sure, but he was on the field more, too. And he was hardly alone. Blocking back Ray Hare, according to one accounting, missed only 13 minutes in 12 games, playoffs included.

While very modern in his approach to the passing game, Baugh remained a strong believer in punting before fourth down, a practice that had begun to fall out of fashion. As offenses opened up and more points were scored, teams became reluctant to give up the ball before they had to. But Baugh still used the ancient weapon to dictate field position...In the big game against the Lions he quick-kicked on first down three straight times in the early going, for 54, 46 and 66 yards.

Then there was his work as a defensive back. He had a terrific sense of anticipation—as you’d expect. He was, after all, a quarterback.

It was a different time in the NFL then, and it is interesting to read about.

In recent NFL news, SI had a good article about Slingin Sammy Baugh. In the 1943 season, he led the NFL in pass completions, interceptions (caught, not thrown) and net punt yards. Here are a few gems:

It was a different time in the NFL then, and it is interesting to read about.

Heh, love that bit about quick kicking for field position. Interesting!

Brady quick-kicked for field position at the tail end of that Pats playoff game where they blew out Tebow's Broncos...

It gets brought up as the ultimate act of disrespect here in Denver.

Fortunately Tebow forgives.

ESPN's playoff machine is now active:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Here's what I got when I had predicted all the remaining games;

Denver (15-1)

Indianapolis (13-3)

New England (12-4)

Cincinnati (11-5)

Kansas City (13-3)

New York Jets (9-7)

Seattle (14-2)

New Orleans (12-4)

Detroit (12-4)

Dallas (8-8)

Carolina (12-4)

San Francisco (12-4)

In my simulation, Chicago also finishes 12-4, but that's not enough as they have lost twice to Detroit this year. Oh, and I just realized that I expect the Lions to win out.

Another simulation gave me 11-5 for the Panthers which gave me a wild card round of 49ers @ Cowboys...

ESPN's playoff machine is now active:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Here's what I got when I had predicted all the remaining games;

Denver (15-1)

Indianapolis (13-3)

New England (12-4)

Cincinnati (11-5)

Kansas City (13-3)

New York Jets (9-7)

Seattle (14-2)

New Orleans (12-4)

Detroit (12-4)

Dallas (8-8)

Carolina (12-4)

San Francisco (12-4)

In my simulation, Chicago also finishes 12-4, but that's not enough as they have lost twice to Detroit this year. Oh, and I just realized that I expect the Lions to win out.

Another simulation gave me 11-5 for the Panthers which gave me a wild card round of 49ers @ Cowboys...

With these simulations its always easy to think that the teams that are currently winning will sweep all their winnable games. It never works out that way. You have Detroit, Chicago and San Fran all going 6-0 down the stretch. You realize that those teams are all just 6-4?

This is why I love Adrian Peterson: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10004814/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-confidence-christian-ponder

How many other superstars who are being stifled due to incompetent QB play would come out and repeatedly give their QB a vote of confidence. Most would be demanding a trade, ripping him on the sideline, and throwing him under the bus in post game interviews. Hell, just watch Tom Brady throw a fucking fit whenever one of his rookie receivers drops a ball.

Brady quick-kicked for field position at the tail end of that Pats playoff game where they blew out Tebow's Broncos...

Yeah, I remember that. What I find kind of fascinating about what Baugh did there, though, is that they would do it on early downs and even early in games in an attempt to get better field position, etc. It truly was a different game then, I think.

With these simulations its always easy to think that the teams that are currently winning will sweep all their winnable games. It never works out that way. You have Detroit, Chicago and San Fran all going 6-0 down the stretch. You realize that those teams are all just 6-4?

its really more useful in terms of plotting scenarios and gets more useful as it gets closer to the end. but for kicks i did one, its kinda fun

denver 14-2(losing week 17 without peyton)

cincy 12-4

new england 11-5

kansas city 11-5(also dropping 17 with spot locked in)

indy 10-6

baltimore 8-8(winning tiebreaker over jets and chargers)

seattle 14-2

new orleans 12-4

detroit 11-5

dallas 10-6

carolina 11-5

chicago 11-5

san fran misses at 10-6 as they lose to arizona in week 17 while cutler returns to lead chicago to victory over green bay)

My scenario:

AFC:

1) Denver

2) Indianapolis

3) New England

4) Cincinnati

5) Kansas City

6) Jets

NFC:

1) Seattle

2) New Orleans

3) Detroit

4) Dallas

5) Chicago

6) Carolina

Lot's of flipping and flopping between Chicago and Detroit for the NFC North and Chicago/Detroit/San Francisco for the 6th seed depending on the last three weeks of the season, while Carolina seems fairly secure in a WC spot at least.

Ahmad Brooks fined $15,750 for hit on Brees.

I am speechless.

Touch the Breesus at your peril... :bang:

I think we all knew it was coming. Doesn't make it any more palatable though.

This is where I have the problem with it. Its bad enough when the ref makes the call on the field in the moment to turn the game as its being played. Intent shouldn't have anything to do with it in that situation, either it meets the letter of the rulebook for a foul or it doesn't. (Sadly, even I can't argue that the Brooks hit does meet that criteria.) However, when the league has the chance to go back and look at the play in its entirety and it is obvious that he was going for a textbook wrap up tackle that just so happened to be on a 6'0" QB instead of a 6'4" QB; the league should be able to look at that and recognize there was no malicious intent and therefore no fine is warranted.

Playing defense in this league is becoming a thankless job. You won't see Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, or Andrew Luck ever getting fined for a penalty on the field... but random defender #11 can come in for a play and get fined $16K with nary a thought.

However, when the league has the chance to go back and look at the play in its entirety and it is obvious that he was going for a textbook wrap up tackle that just so happened to be on a 6'0" QB instead of a 6'4" QB; the league should be able to look at that and recognize there was no malicious intent and therefore no fine is warranted.

You might argue that it shouldn't be penalised anyway but I think this stuff about Brees' height is overstated. I mean Brooks really can't get his shoulder lower that five and a half feet off the ground to make the tackle? It's not like he doesn't know Brees isn't 6'4".

It looked to me like he made the tackle that high because he was trying to strike for the ball while he made the tackle. You could argue that pass rushers should be allowed to do that but they are going to be having their arms up around the head and neck area of the qb if they do regardless of whether they're 6'0" or 6'4".

Why do I listen to sports radio all day while sitting at my desk? The amount of people still thinking that Josh McCown is a better option than Jay Cutler. Short and long term. Because of two games.

Sports talk radio taht accepts callers is by far the worst entertainment programming available in any medium. Why do I want to listen to losers whose time is of so little value that they can spend it waiting on hold to get the chance to talk to some radio guy who would rather take a screwdriver to the temple than listen to what the caller has to say?

Archived