"Yesterday, the self-styled Isil claimed responsibility for the attack. It said that Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel “carried out the operation in response to calls to target nationals of states fighting Islamic State”.
Police are trying to piece together Bouhlel’s terror network as they questioned five suspected associates after raids across Nice.
The French interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, said the attacker “appears to have become radicalised very quickly”. One neighbour of his estranged wife said: “Mohamed only started visiting a mosque in April.”
Bouhlel, who had a history of violence and mental health problems, had walked into a van rental office and said: “I want the heaviest truck you have.” He had also sent £82,000 to his family in Tunisia, suggesting a well planned suicide mission...
Four police vans that had blocked off the Promenade des Anglais to protect a military parade earlier in the day were removed before the attack on Thursday, according to eyewitnesses.
In a pessimistic interview with the Journal du Dimanche, Manual Valls, the French Prime Minister, has warned that terrorism will be a part of the country's daily life for a long time.
“The terrorism threat is will be a fundamental and enduring problem and other lives will be wrecked,” he said...
Isil claims responsibility for attack
Isil claimed responsibility Saturday for the attack by Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel who used a hired lorry to kill at least 84 people in a rampage during Bastille Day celebrations in Nice.
An Islamic State-run media outlet says the man who drove his truck into a crowd in the French coastal city of Nice is a "soldier" of the group.
The Aamaq news agency on Saturday cited a "security source" as saying the attacker "carried out the operation in response to calls to target the citizens of coalition countries fighting the Islamic State."
French authorities said they were checking the claim...
The French interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, said the attacker "appears to have become radicalised very quickly" as one neighbour of his estranged wife added: "Mohamed only started visiting a mosque in April."
Investigators examining Bouhlel’s phone records found evidence that he was in contact with known Islamic radicals.
However, an intelligence source cautioned: “That could just be a coincidence, given the neighbourhood where he lived. Everyone knows everyone there. He seems to have known people who knew Omar Diaby (a known local Islamist believed to be linked with the Al Nusra group close to Al Qaeda)."
Relatives have reportedly claimed Bouhlel, in the days before the attack, persuaded friends to smuggle £84,000 in cash back to his family in their hometown of Msaken, Tunisia. His brother Jaber also said he had not seen his brother for several years and the money had come as a complete surprise...
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel sent a text message minutes before the attack asking for more weapons, it has emerged.
The message, which read 'Bring more weapons, bring five of them to C', was sent to an unidentified figure at 10.27pm on Thursday, just minutes before he began his murderous ramage, according to the French television station BFM.
It suggests he may have had accomplices in the terrorist outrage."
Telegraph, full article is on the webpage