The Wheel of Time sidenotes: This is not the beginning.

Wicked Woodpecker of West

OK, then. This is not the beginning.

I decided to give Wheel of Time one more shot, after failing twice. And to please my OCD I'm gonna write down my life time reactions and put them here in form of sidenotes (is it even a proper word?, hell with it). Yeah, I know all the warnings about annoying female characters, annoying human characters, slow plot lines, Aes Sedai spanking orgies and "No Book With 'Twilight' In Title Can Be Even Remotely Readable" Law. No need for that warnings.

No spoilers, please. I'm gonna reading chronologically so prequels first.

So let's begin with...

The Strike at Shayol Ghul

(which aren't exactly the prequel, but who cares)

- I suppose, we can all agree that places named like Shayol Ghul should be nuked preventively.

we can only be thankful that the art of printing survived the Breaking of the World when so much else did not

- ... what?! Weren't the Breaking kind of second close to Ragnarok itself? End of days, continents shifting, oceans rising, global warming, no more Christmas? And you're telling me that during all those fun Emmerich-events, people of Wheelworld had time, will and resources to save printing? And to print multi-volume history of recent events? I mean printing machines are kinda heavy. Not really handy if you wanna survive in post-apocalyptic universe filled with mad sorcerers. I somehow doubt they used HP Laser Jets.

The fragmentary manuscript was readable

- Printed manuscript?

- So, you're losing a war against The Ultimate Evil. You built a magical, nuclear Saint Grail able to defeat evil completely (or almost completely, which is good enough in your situation). Why not wasting more time and war casualties worrying around that oh' those things are too powerful (!). That their power could destroy the world. What a terrible threat considering your current situation.

- The Dark One's lieutenants are called Sammael and Bel'al. You know, in case we would ever forget that they are evil guys.

- Even if all chances for safer plan quite literally wen to hell, its supporters would never support Lews Therin's more risky plan. Hell, even more magical chicks gonna join this Fateful Boeing. I suppose now I can understand all those warnings about annoying female characters and stupid sex wars I read before. Damn, and that's just a prequel short story.

and the "re-emergence of the peace faction" is mentioned, apparently a group demanding negotiations with the Forsaken

- Oh, cool. Hippie-satanists.

the lines of division had hardened to a point where many female Aes Sedai refused to speak to male Aes Sedai, and the reverse as well

- Kill. Me. Now.

The seals were placed safely

- Unfortunately with only 3000 years warranty.

By chance, all thirteen of the Forsaken were at Shayol Ghul (perhaps summoned for a conference with the Dark One?)

- Some guys will never learn. You never, ever, hellever, puts all your commanding officers in one place. Believe me I know something about it. I'm Polish.

Lews Therin and the sixty-eight survivors of the Hundred Companions went insane on the instant.

- So they went mad, and turned into homicidal, geography-ruining maniacs that destroyed basically all civilization that left after War of Shadow. So who and how exactly counted how many of them survived the Strike at Shayol Ghul?

Whoever read this, if any remain to read it, weep for us who have no more tears.

- But thankfully we have enough of ink, paper and free time to print this sad story for future generations. So sad.

- Hell, this way of reviewing made me much more malicious than classic one.

- So basically short story that contains basic historical information, I've already knew before from Wikipedia. And some new stuff that was really unnecessary and story would be better without it. Plus few interesting details that would probably arise in novels (Saint Grail, Forsaken, seals.) Not it's time to Dream of Spring... I mean for a New Spring.

On the subject of those wanting to negoiate with the Forsaken, you need to remember that the War of Power was among the single most brutal and horrific conflicts in the history of the world, it was arguably worse then the Trolloc Wars and the Last battle itself. So towards the end of the conflict, any option that allowed humanity to continue was considered.

As for the reliability of the Seals, Culliendar was, and still is, the most indestructible and tough substances ever created by man, even Balefire can't damage it. It wasn't a bad assumption that the Seals would last that long.

On the subject of those wanting to negoiate with the Forsaken, you need to remember that the War of Power was among the single most brutal and horrific conflicts in the history of the world, it was arguably worse then the Trolloc Wars and the Last battle itself. So towards the end of the conflict, any option that allowed humanity to continue was considered.

Yeah, I get some people would do such a thing, even if its stupid. That was just a joke, not a real allusion.

As for the reliability of the Seals, Culliendar was, and still is, the most indestructible and tough substances ever created by man, even Balefire can't damage it. It wasn't a bad assumption that the Seals would last that long.

I've not bloody idea what's those cuenthing is, I just assumed that if Dragon Reborn gonna fight with The Dark One in main series, that means that the Dark One (and Forsaken) would have to destroyed this lock somehow ;)

I downloaded these ebooks and I *was* gonna read them but eh, you've talked me out of it

Oi, don't be so discouraged. I mean that's just some special prequel short story written for some anthology. I read something about 1/3 of New Spring and while it's definitely no GRRM level of excitement it was much better stuff. (Or maybe that was before I get addicted to Cinema Sins and HISHE.) Give it a try ;)

Well it would be cool, if some others first timers wrote their feelings too :)

Edit:

I'm still in the 5th book, so don't know most things about it...

Well you're far far far further than me ;)

Yeah, I get some people would do such a thing, even if its stupid. That was just a joke, not a real allusion.

I've not bloody idea what's those cuenthing is, I just assumed that if Dragon Reborn gonna fight with The Dark One in main series, that means that the Dark One (and Forsaken) would have to destroyed this lock somehow ;)

Oi, don't be so discouraged. I mean that's just some special prequel short story written for some anthology. I read something about 1/3 of New Spring and while it's definitely no GRRM level of excitement it was much better stuff. (Or maybe that was before I get addicted to Cinema Sins and HISHE.) Give it a try ;)

Well it would be cool, if some others first timers wrote their feelings too :)

Edit:

Well you're far far far further than me ;)

Oh well, guess that means I can read this unworried :)

The name of each Forsaken was given to him/her when they joined the Shadow. Only exception was Lanfear who chose her name. So yes, their names do mean something in relation to evil, therefore it makes sense to have guys called Sammael or Be'lal.

I'm still halfway through book four in my first read, but I think I'm finally back into the story after taking a break for a couple weeks.

I'll try to contribute some non-spoilery and intelligent observations as I go.

Not all the commanders were at Shayol Ghul, there were more than 13 forsaken - the ones we know about just happened to be the ones trapped in the Bore.

Let me quote: "By chance, all thirteen of the Forsaken were at Shayol Ghul (perhaps summoned for a conference with the Dark One?), and they were trapped in the sealing, thus decapitating at one stroke the Shadow's leadership. "

So I understand that The Forsaken whoever they were exactly were his main commanders, and there were exactly 13 of them at that point. Like generals or admirals. And when they were trapped the less important leaders of bad guys turned on each other.

The name of each Forsaken was given to him/her when they joined the Shadow. Only exception was Lanfear who chose her name. So yes, their names do mean something in relation to evil, therefore it makes sense to have guys called Sammael or Be'lal.

OK, that made more sense.

Yes, several of the Forsaken are reincarnated into new bodies.

And that's helluva spoiler dear Walrus. Please avoid it!

It's a bad idea to go chronologically rather than order of publication. You're also trying *really* hard to find fault. Here are a few answers:

- Names of the Forsaken are chosen by them as a way of breaking away from the Light, so they are very consciously evil-sounding.

- Printing / writing remains because the Aes Sedai before the breaking were researchers and academics first and foremost. It is one of the things they considered most worth saving. Not to mention that Tar Valon is founded within the lifetime of many of the survivors, so there wasn't exactly a total loss of all knowledge.

- The sa'angrael are later described as powerful enough to "crack the world like an egg." Although the stakes of their war are very high, the Aes Sedai are primarily interested in saving the world, not total war to destroy the Dark One at literally any cost. As for LTT's plan, as I recall it was simply considered too risky, not opposed on any particular ideological grounds. It could have been a trap, after all, and the loss of LTT and the Companions would've more or less ensured defeat.

- The stupidity of gathering all of your generals (though at least three or four of the "Forsaken" were not really all that powerful or important in the War) can be handwaved by understanding that 1. they didn't realize LTT could or would attempt to attack them and 2. prior to this one, war was so far removed from the consciousness of people that even the concept was strange, so they had to invent their own tactics. Evidently they never considered a decapitating strike at all since they never attempted one of their own.

As you read the series you will also learn about Stasis Boxes. They are basically near indestructible safes that people would store things in. People kept valuables and whatnot and when the world went to pot these things got kind of randomly scattered. This is why you have an odd assortment of stuff found in them.

- The sa'angrael are later described as powerful enough to "crack the world like an egg." Although the stakes of their war are very high, the Aes Sedai are primarily interested in saving the world, not total war to destroy the Dark One at literally any cost. As for LTT's plan, as I recall it was simply considered too risky, not opposed on any particular ideological grounds. It could have been a trap, after all, and the loss of LTT and the Companions would've more or less ensured defeat.

It's been a while, but wasn't there also and argument about not being sure if re-sealing the bore would work, or accidentally rip the entire bore open wide?

Let me quote: "By chance, all thirteen of the Forsaken were at Shayol Ghul (perhaps summoned for a conference with the Dark One?), and they were trapped in the sealing, thus decapitating at one stroke the Shadow's leadership. "

So I understand that The Forsaken whoever they were exactly were his main commanders, and there were exactly 13 of them at that point. Like generals or admirals. And when they were trapped the less important leaders of bad guys turned on each other.

I think there's a bit of unreliable narration going on there, what people of the later Age think about the Age of Legends often isn't entirely accurate.

I think there's a bit of unreliable narration going on there, what people of the later Age think about the Age of Legends often isn't entirely accurate.

That's a good point, an example being the belief that the Aes Sedai of the Age of Legends could fly, when in reality flight was accomplished by various types of Sho'Jihn (i think it's how that is spelled)

It's a bad idea to go chronologically rather than order of publication.

I heard it. But it is too late for me. And I always prefer to read stories chronologically. Even with prequels. I mean I know there are stories that are out of order for really important reasons, but I hope that's not one of them. I mean that's a prequel written long after saga began, no carefully planned retrospection within a story.

You're also trying *really* hard to find fault. Here are a few answers:

Nah, I'm just messing around. I mean most of those thing aren't real faults, only things that cracked me for some reason. Of course still printing and counting are valid faults I suppose.

- Names of the Forsaken are chosen by them as a way of breaking away from the Light, so they are very consciously evil-sounding.

Ehm... Walrus up there wrote that only one of them chose its own name. Rest were named by the people. Anyway I haven't read about it yet, so no more detail please.

- Printing / writing remains because the Aes Sedai before the breaking were researchers and academics first and foremost. It is one of the things they considered most worth saving. Not to mention that Tar Valon is founded within the lifetime of many of the survivors, so there wasn't exactly a total loss of all knowledge.

Oh, I get that people saved art of writing. That's not a problem. Printing books during Apocalypse, yes that's quite crazy from my perspective even if you are powerful sorceress. Because you know there are still those mad sorcerers around, killing everybody.

Yeah I get it. I just mean that considering situation showed by an author, well destruction of world was well matter of time. The Dark One is Anti-Creator, right? It wanna to unravel fabric of reality. So worrying that our weapon are too powerful is well, least of things you should be worrying about. And about LTT's plan I have to concerns. First is well gender opposition. Second is that after Latra's plan failed, and they lost all chances to use Saint Grails then, well there were no more options. So I would expect that some women would break and join Dragon. Not that even more join Latra's Concord.

- The stupidity of gathering all of your generals (though at least three or four of the "Forsaken" were not really all that powerful or important in the War) can be handwaved by understanding that 1. they didn't realize LTT could or would attempt to attack them and 2. prior to this one, war was so far removed from the consciousness of people that even the concept was strange, so they had to invent their own tactics. Evidently they never considered a decapitating strike at all since they never attempted one of their own.

Yeah, that's explain that mistake, but not justify's it. And at least The Dark One should now something about war. I mean he's an eternal evil.

It's been a while, but wasn't there also and argument about not being sure if re-sealing the bore would work, or accidentally rip the entire bore open wide?

Yep, there was. And while there was a chance to use Saint Grail I would be all into it. (Even though I'm of male persuasion). But after access devices were lost, and considering they have few months before total extermination. In a game of seals you win or you are annihilated.

Oh, right. That can be a point.

Anyway it's time to begin New Spring.

One True Cover.

Chapter 01: The Hook

A cold wind gusted through the night, across the snow-covered land where men had been killing one another for the past three days

- Beware! The most awaited book premiere finally here! Prepare yourself for The Winds of Winter!

- Considering that Aes Sedai wielded immense amount of Power, nuclear Saint Grail and other fun continent rising stuff, I'm somehow surprised they found unbreakable sword to be useful weapons. Still cool thing.

- Lan wakes up and reprimands sleeping sentries rather than order their immediate execution. Tywin Lannister disapproves.

- Apparently Aes Sedai these days are considered to be manipulative sorceresses that any wise man should avoid. Still better than Age of Legends.

- Lan is basically Aragorn raised by Obi-Wan Kenobi.

- No wonder Bukama is so grumpy. Wearing tight leather cord around your head, all your life. Headaches have to be really terrible.

He glanced north, toward his distant home. Most people would have thought it a strange place to call home, but he had felt the pull of it ever since he came south.

- Oh, Craster's Keep. Will I ever see you again!

- Honorable northerners coming south. That cannot end well.

- The Dark One's true name is Shai'tan. Ah, some parents are just so incredibly thoughtless. Sinestro, Severus meet your new mate...

The Dark One and all the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul, bound by the Creator at the moment of creation.

- Moment of creation?

If they aren’t, then why are we here?” Bukama said sourly. And surprisingly. He liked to grumble, but always about inconsequential things or prospects for the future. Never the present.

“I gave my word to stay until the end,” Lan replied mildly.

- And I think Bukama, you should know it well, after two years of war.

- Wheelworld apparently has its own Millennium Bug.

Lan’s hand drifted to his sword hilt, half consciously easing the blade in its sheath. A faint rasp of steel on leather came from Bukama doing the same. Neither feared an attack; Aiel rode only at great need, and reluctantly even then. But a lone horseman at this hour had to be a messenger, and messengers rarely brought good news, these days

- So they prepared themselves to fight bad news, huh?

- Stark, honorable northerners versus prancing, perfumed-beard southerners. So classic.

- Man, Tairens are assholes.

- So the chapter's title weren't a hidden reference to "Peter Pan". Pity.

- Oh, and here we have our volcano of the Prophecy. I supposed they are made in China.

and as surely as peaches were poison

- Like, really? Peaches are poisonous in the Wheelworld? But that would mean that Goodkind basically ripped off from Jordan even his fruits. Blimey.

- What specifically differs horsebow from other kinds of bow?

- First time I read about Aiel I imagined Eastern horde of savage riders, like Dothraki or Genghis Khan's Mongols, but I have to say that long-distance running Bedouins seem to be more intriguing option. Hope we see more of them.

“Embrace death,” Bukama muttered, sounding like cold steel, and Lan heard other Borderlanders echo the words.

- Borderlanders are commie death-choosers.

- One Man Alone? Maybe they wanna to resolve this battle in a single fight?

- Apparently not. Aiel are leaving. And no one died.

- I mean it was obvious that Lan would not die like all proper prologue POV should do, because it's evidently him pictured on a cover with some cute girl in blue. Considering his aversion for Aes Sedai, probably one of them.

“Maybe they’re going back to the Waste,” Caniedrin called. He sounded disappointed.

- Yeah, such a shame they haven't decided to stay till mutual extermination.

The general view was that the Aiel would never leave until they were all killed.

- And you think they would leave after that? Well I tell you something folk, I saw dead man rising and walking in the night, and I don't want to see them again.

- Anyway, that was quite cool first chapter. Lot of information, but only few times I had a feeling that it's only written, not showed. Two main characters Lan and Bukama seems to be quite generic, but I'm generally cool with well written generic characters, especially if author adds pinch of inversion, or two. And what the hell with Aielfolk and their weird scream. That could be important. RAFO.

Chapter 02: A Wish Fulfilled

- So, it's Aes Sedai time.

- Meet Moiraine. Her uncle started all this bloody mess with Aiel.

- Amyrlin Seat sounds a little bit like piece of baroque furniture. I wonder how they translated it in Polish edition.

- I love when English authors accidentally use Polish words as a names in their novels. Gitara is Polish word for guitar. Well that's still better than Stara (which means old women) in one of Canavan's books.

For her, the hardest thing about being a novice had been dressing in plain white day after day.

- Well girl if that's your greatest problem as an initiate of powerful, magical order then you are or incredible gifted with magic, or not very smart.

- Tairens outlawed magic. Another proof they are assholes. Well, except Siuan I suppose. Because she is Ender of this world.

- Aes Sedai drinks tea with milk. Gross.

- I'm not sure if keeping an adult woman in state of prolonged schoolgirlness is a healthy idea. And calling them "children".

Unfortunately, there were subjects Moraine felt uncomfortable talking about with just anyone. There was such a thing as decorum.

- Indeed. Harlequins should not be read, mentioned or discussed. For a good of decorum and common sense.

For that matter, novices were not supposed to point out that an Accepted had asked a foolish question.

- That's how you prepare girls to become powerful sorceresses wielding magical power and ancient knowledge.

“He is born again!” Gitara cried. “I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slope of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!”

- Hell, yeah! (Well, poor little Dragon. Born on a slope of volcano in a middle of cruel winter.)

- Poor Gitara.

- So Aes Sedai cannot lie. It have to make them even more mysterious and manipulative.

I wished to hear a Foretelling, Moiraine thought as she made her final curtsy before leaving, and what I received was a Foretelling of doom. Now, she wished very much that she had been more careful of what she wished for.

- Sorry, Moiraine. Only one wish per day granted.

- And whoa it went quick. And now the question is: what would Tamra Ospenya do? But that will have to wait till next day.
Good Night and Creator Bless You.

Archived