What is house baelish' sigil?

CassBlackfyre

Okay so just so im getting it right..

House baelish of midlor point = titan of braavos

House baelish of harrenhal = mockingbirds

even though there is only is one house, and one member of that house, is has two sigils, depending on the titles?

Okay so just so im getting it right..

House baelish of midlor point = titan of braavos

House baelish of harrenhal = mockingbirds

even though there is only is one house, and one member of that house, is has two sigils, depending on the titles?

Nope. That's some :bs: made up by somebody editing the Wiki.

House Baelish = Titan of Braavos

Petyr Baelish himself = Mockingbird

Which would help distinguish between him and his brothers/father/uncles/sons - if he had any. But the Titan of Braavos is the House's sigil.

Nope. That's some :bs: made up by somebody editing the Wiki.

House Baelish = Titan of Braavos

Petyr Baelish himself = Mockingbird

Which would help distinguish between him and his brothers/father/uncles/sons - if he had any. But the Titan of Braavos is the House's sigil.

Thank you :]

I always thought the mockingbird was more of his personal sigil, whereas the Titan remains the house sigil?

I don't think it matters all that much, except that it points to LF as a giant with a big head who likes the sound of his own voice.

We know from D&E that only the trueborn son has the right to bear the sigil of the father but I suppose a designated heir or grandson born to a daughter where there are no sons would have the same right. But is the opposite true? Does the son have to bear the sigil of the father?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Label_%28heraldry%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadency

Varied widely across Europe. Important fact: everybody had to be identifiable in his own right.

I don't think it matters all that much, except that it points to LF as a giant with a big head who likes the sound of his own voice.

We know from D&E that only the trueborn son has the right to bear the sigil of the father but I suppose a designated heir or grandson born to a daughter where there are no sons would have the same right. But is the opposite true? Does the son have to bear the sigil of the father?

It would be an insult not to. And stating that the son doesn't claim kinship or inheritance.

• 1 year later...

@Firefawkz In real world medieval history, it wasn't uncommon that a single person would have different sigils for different titles. In the later periods, it was pretty much the norm. That doesn't really seem to be the case in Westeros, so take from that what you will. Just throwing that fact out there.

On the topic of his sigil, I was always convinced that his sigil was the titan's head. I found this thread while searching because I was confused. The sigil shown for House Baelish in A World of Ice and Fire is the mockingbirds on green. This confuses me because the sigil on display at Petyr's seat is the titan's head and I seem to remember somebody in AGoT saying that he just likes the mockingbird and that it wasn't actually his sigil.

In A World of Ice and Fire, the mockingbird sigil is shown among sigils of Arryn bannermen, implying that it's used in the vale. This, I'm sure, is the source for the Citadel's listing of his sigil as mockingbirds. However, we've never seen that sigil in the books and if I'm remembering that AGoT incident correctly, I'm pretty sure his house's sigil is still the titan's head.

Archived