Too many resurecetions?

R.O.Edwards

Yeah I'm not a fan of the resurrections. I understand it's a fantasy series, but I don't like that a character can die, and then come back to life. It takes the surprise of the death away, and makes me weary for future deaths. When Ned and Robb died, I felt shocked, surprised, angry, distraught and many other emotions, but I like that. That's the true making of a great book when you feel that way for the characters. By the time we get to Jon's last scene in DwD, I had been accustomed to the resurrecting, and even though I was initially surprised, I said to myself, 'Oh, Melisandre will just bring him back to life.' That takes away from the series IMO.

I don't mind the resurrections, but with all the resurrections that are happening, I wonder how GRRM got his reputation for being a GRRiM Reaper.

Possibly for having a couple of "hero" characters die as opposed to the traditional "zero good guy casualties" policy of fantasy.

Well, GRRM pretty much established the resurrection theme in ASoI&F in the first few scenes with the wights and WWs. With corrupt maesters and curious red priests wandering around a land that spawned dragons, weirwoods and abnormal ice physics, I don't have a problem with resurrections. If one wants to kill someone in ASoI&F, one must needs to really, really kill them, then dismember them, then burn them. A simple quarrel in the chest, or a dagger in the neck, is not enough, my friends.

Archived