who are the six factions vying for the throne?

salladhorsaanpimpslap

So I've read the book and everything, but was just curious who the six factions are in regards to this description of the book:

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.

Obviously:

1. Robb Stark's Army/ The King in the North/ Northmen

2. Tywin Lannister's Army representing King Joffrey

3. Stannis Baratheon's Army

4. Renly Baratheon's Army

5. Iron Men/ Balon Greyjoy's Army/ Fleet

The sixth and final faction is not as apparent to me however...there are a few obvious candidates:

-The Brotherhood Without Banners (is this group even big enough to be considered a faction and it seems to me that they have no interest in taking the Iron Throne)

-The Wildlings/ Free Folk- I don't really remember them being very involved in this book; they also seem to have no interest in the Iron Throne

-Daenerys Targaryen and her followers- Not even in Westeros and at no point do they engage any of the above factions militarily...

just curious because I was slightly confused when I read that description...maybe I missed something..an

It's "their claims". Not necessarily to the Iron Throne.

Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Dany are claiming the IT (even though Dany is still not there to actually do it in Westeros). Robb is claiming the old Stark title of king of the North, Balon Greyjoy is claiming the title of the king of the Iron Islands and the North.

The Brotherhood and the wildlings don't have any claims.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived