Why do some fans think Vic is dumb?

Brad Rivers

@Mad Monkey: Poison him how? By giving him STD?

@Welease Woger: So Vic is ignorant about Essosi geography. There's a difference between ignorant and stupid

He's a sailor, from a land that makes it's living mainly from the sea and from reaving. Not knowing that the Dothraki fear the sea is pretty bad when even Ned from the landlocked North knows that.

Mind, I find I cannot be even close to unbiased when it comes to Vic: I despise him.

Intelligence isn't the black-and-white attribute that many believe it to be.

There are many branches of intelligence.

The absent minded professor or socially awkward scientist are easy examples. Some people have a well developed intuition on how to deal with different types of people, while others are excellent in discrete dynamic systems. Still others have an intelligence branch that favors learning multiple languages.

Victorion seems to have little capacity for political thought and relatively poor emotional intelligence, but there is an intelligence to fleet management and even martial prowess. He may be good at geometric understanding or have the capacity for blackjack. Who knows?

@Mad Monkey: Poison him how? By giving him STD?

Figuratively. 'Poisoning' him figuratively. As in, she's not on his side. She's not his friend. When she treats his wounds, and they fester even worse, at least be a little suspicious even if you don't know anything for certain. At least wonder briefly.

Mad Monkey, remember Vic is a swaggering badass, always careless about his personal safety. That is not to say he is stupid. He simply doesn't give a hoot about the woman, friend or no friend. Can you imagine Vic saying to himself "Oh, Euron's gifts are always poisoned. I'd better be careful about that woman. She may not be my friend. She may not wash my clothes or clean my cabin as I would like her to". As for "treating his wounds", that should be the maester's job, no? And why should Vic suspect that Euron wants him incapacitated (by instructing the woman to mess with his wounds) while he's still not completed his mission?

Archived