A moment in the series that made you feel dumb or angry with yourself.

Das_Boof

I felt dumb for having googled and read about what the "Red Wedding" so many people were commenting on was, before buying and reading the third book. :bang:

And I constantly feel dumb for forgetting many of the non-PoV names and who they're aligned with.

Mine was when I got too cocky thinking I had GRRM figured out.

In ADwD, the Red Woman, Melisandre tells Jon that she has seen one of his sisters approaching Castle Black on a dying garron in her fires. Jon of course thinks this is Arya but since we know she is in Essos, I thought I was clever in thinking that Sansa had escaped Littlefinger and was headed to Jon Snow... And then GRRM splashes water in our face when we realize its the KARSTARK girl.

That was out of left field and I felt dumb.

I probably missed most every subtlety on my first read, and right after that I searched the internet for every possible theory and analysis known to man, so no idea what I would have picked up on during rereads.

But I felt really stupid for not realizing that Daemon II Blackfyre aka. John the Fiddler was gay, since this is one of the few things that's seldomly mentioned, so I hadn't heard about that until today. I should have picked up on that on my own, but I didn't.

When TWOW comes out, I'll lock myself in my room and read it really carefully. Twice. Before I even think about visiting this site again. I really want to feel smart for figuring some subtle stuff out myself.

And I constantly feel dumb for forgetting many of the non-PoV names and who they're aligned with.

Don't beat yourself up too much over this. This story has the most named characters of any series ever as far as I know, so forgetting who people are or getting them confused with other people is expected. I think everyone does it, especially on the first read. The more rereads, the more you can expect to remember, at least that's been my experience :)

I, too, had ZERO idea that Loras and Renly were gay. Then again, I can't tell that IRL either. My Gaydar is non-functioning.

I thought Jon Arryn was poisoned by Cersei.

It took two reads for me to finally grasp the nuances in religion. You would think the difference between the Seven and the Old Gods would have been painfully obvious, but not to me, apparently.

Still not exactly sure*what* kind of story it is supposed to be.

I feel like it is some kind of giant twisted Vonnegut novel.... All these characters in some enormous diaspora that will somehow come together at the clambake at the end. :)

And by clambake I mean flaming war with dragons one on side and ice zombies on the other. You know, typical summer party at the beach.

I didn't think Ned could possibly be dead because (I) it happened so fast, (II) it happened in Arya's chapter, (III) she didn't see it and (IV) he was the protagonist.

I didn't see the Red Wedding coming at all until the massacre happens.

I couldn't work out how Arya killed that guy (the one she gave the poisoned coin too).

I also missed Renly/Loras until I saw it on TV although that one wasn't exactly obvious.

I had no idea about R+L=J until I saw it online. During my first read of AGOT I knew the identity of Jon's mother was going to be a mystery of the series that would be important. I had it in my head that Cersei was his mother and was SO proud of myself. Then I saw R+L=J all laid out and was floored.

But there have been so many little things I didn't see coming. Sarella/Alleras, JH being in the Citadel, Mance being Abel...all of those things made me feel pretty stupid for not seeing.

Archived