[Spoilers] The Princess and the Queen, complete spoilers discussion

chrisdaw

For those of us who have read the story or don't care if they're fully spoiled.

Some copies are in the wild in various forms and countries, if you're looking for such info it's probably best to look in the other thread as there's some there and you won't get spoiled. There's enough out there that a mod gave this thread the go ahead.

Dragon jumping Dark Sister to the eye, hell yeah Daemon.

Blood and Cheese, gruesome.

Nettles turned her dragon toward the Bay of Crabs, and vanished in the morning mists, never

to be seen again at court or castle.

Interesting, and what of Silverwing?

"Our uncle calls us Strongs, and claims we are bastards, but when the lords see us on dragonback they will know that for a lie. Only Targaryens ride dragons."

Hint hint?

I was a bit disappointed in the story, it had its moments but overall it felt more like an info dump than entertainment.

Some really epic moments in this:

- Aemond vs Daemon was a personal highlight. What an ending for all involved.

- Blood and Cheese was an enticing passage but a heartbreaking moment for the Greens. The only time I felt bad for that side.

- The Arryk vs Erryk duel was completed omitted. What the hell??

- I read it half asleep both last night and this morning; Is Silverwing, Sheepstealer & the Cannibal the last living dragons at the end?

I hope we learn more about Addam Velaryon. Complete hero!

Questions;

- Is Alyn of Hull the future Alyn 'Oakenfist' Velaryon? Will he be the Velaryon Hand of Aegon III? Seeing as there were no other Velaryons mentioned other than Corlys & Addam.

- What happened to Rhaena of Pentos?

- What happened to Viserys II??

Dragon jumping Dark Sister to the eye, hell yeah Daemon.

A definite highlight, that. And really, TPatQ only gives a taste of his badassery. All the stuff from his youth, and the fighting over the Stepstones that the text only hints at, is omitted.

Blood and Cheese, gruesome.

Yep. George is good with the horror.

Interesting, and what of Silverwing?

The dragon's story goes past the Dance of the Dragons. There'll be a bit more in the world book.

- The Arryk vs Erryk duel was completed omitted. What the hell??

That gets fleshed out in the world book, at least a bit. You're right, it was something Gardner Dozois decided had to be cut to fit the story into the antyhology.

- I read it half asleep both last night and this morning; Is Silverwing, Sheepstealer & the Cannibal the last living dragons at the end?

There's one more that was omitted from TPatQ. So four dragons in total.

I hope we learn more about Addam Velaryon. Complete hero!

There's a really affecting bit that I see TPatQ omits, regarding Alyn's reaction to his elder brother's death.

- Is Alyn of Hull the future Alyn 'Oakenfist' Velaryon?

Yes.

Will he be the Velaryon Hand of Aegon III?

No. Way back you'll find in the SSM that George had once envisioned a Velaryon Hand putting the realm back together, but that changed.

- What happened to Rhaena of Pentos?

This and that.

What happened to Viserys II??

Quite a lot. ;)

ETA: Spoiler code is not required, but I was showing how to do it correctly if one wanted to use it.

"Our uncle calls us Strongs, and claims we are bastards, but when the lords see us on dragonback they will know that for a lie. Only Targaryens ride dragons."

and also Addam Velaryon gets legitamised because he can ride a dragon.

I don't like the whole dragons as paternity test thing but this shows it does happen.

LB,

For some reason you keep using color codes that are messing up actual codes like the spoiler code. Not sure what's up with that.

Theon,

It will be published in the US on the 3rd, as part of the Dangerous Women anthology. You can find it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076533206X/westeros-20/ref=nosim?tag=westeros-20]here.

From the excerpts that I read on the Internet, Rhaenyra is unduly cruel.

LB,

For some reason you keep using color codes that are messing up actual codes like the spoiler code. Not sure what's up with that.

Theon,

It will be published in the US on the 3rd, as part of the Dangerous Women anthology. You can find it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076533206X/westeros-20/ref=nosim?tag=westeros-20]here.

Oh, I don't know where it comes from. Will check again

snip

Brilliant! Thanks Ran.

Two new Valyrian steel blades for us to ponder over their fate. Roxton isn't a big house in the present so maybe Orphan-maker is still with them. I reckon Vigilance is with the Hightowers aswell. Locked with Leyton in the Hightower?

The story talks about the death of Jason Lannister as if you should already know about it. Is that Gyladyn's writing or thanks to GD's editing?

I was really surprised that Alicent outlived Rhaenyra.

I also loved how every single time a dragon fights another there is always a death. Retreat is not an option!

There's a lot more about the various battles between the westermen and the riverlords in the source material, and in the world book, then what was left in TPatQ since the story was so generally focused down.

From the excerpts that I read on the Internet, Rhaenyra is unduly cruel.

Don't assume they're all correct, like the one you posted earlier that got deleted about the confrontation at Storm's End, that's not in the final text and the details are wrong, there was no agreed duel. That's not to say Rhaenyra couldn't be considered cruel, her death sentence for Nettles wasn't taken well.

Archived