Theory: Darkstar works for Varys, and here's why

Jon of the Dead

Apologies if this has been mentioned before

Ok, first off, I do think Darkstar's blade was poisoned and Myrcella is dead or dying, and I think there's plenty of evidence for that, but that's for another day.

The focus here is that DS tried to kill Myrcella. It wasn't a thing of the moment, he was planning it from the start:

“The one in her own den.” Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. “This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel.”

But why wouldn't Arianne's plan cause a war? Half of Dorne is itching for war, crowning Myrcella could have been a proper instigator:

Hotah paid more note to those who did not drink: Ser Daemon Sand, Lord Tremond Gargalen, the Fowler twins, Dagos Manwoody, the Ullers of the Hellholt, the Wyls of the Boneway. If there is trouble, it could start with one of them. Dorne was an angry and divided land, and Prince Doran’s hold on it was not as firm as it might be. Many of his own lords thought him weak and would have welcomed open war with the Lannisters and the boy king on the Iron Throne.

If he wanted that he just had to let Arianne's plan run its course. And why would he want a war, really? He's bored or something?

Was he following Doran's orders? Unlikely. Doran is not ready to go to war unless he has the support of Aegon or Dany. He said so himself in aDwD

Varys is the one who has more to gain if Myrcella dies:

1. Myrcella is Tommen's heir. As long as the Lannisters, Tyrells and Martells can gather around Myrcella, she's a legitimate threat for Aegon's claim.

2. If Arianne's plan had succeeded, then Dorne would have less need of Aegon. We know that Team Aegon is counting pretty hard on Dorne because

JonCon sent a letter to Doran in WoW asking for his support

Varys wants Aegon to be Dorne's best and only option. By crowning Myrcella, Aegon and her would have even become enemies. By killing her, Varys leaves Dorne with no other options than Aegon.

3. By killing Myrcella, Varys also kickstarts the feud between Lannisters and Martells that Doran is still attempting to delay. Varys needs for it to happens now.

And by setting the Iron Throne against the Martells, Varys makes sure they turn to Aegon to protect themselves.

So the question is why? Why would DS do the Spider's bidding? What does he hope to gain from this?

Well, the one thing he wanted:

“My House goes back ten thousand years, unto the dawn of days,” he complained. “Why is it that my cousin is the only Dayne that anyone remembers?”

He wants to be a legend like Arthur Dayne, and Aegon can give him that:

He had tried his best to dissuade the prince from giving Duckfield that cloak, pointing out that the honor might best be held in reserve for warriors of greater renown whose fealty would add luster to their cause, and the younger sons of great lords whose support they would need in the coming struggle, but the boy would not be moved.

At least I convinced him to leave the other six slots open, else Duck might have six ducklings trailing after him, each more blindingly adequate than the last.

To sum up, by killing Myrcella, Varys: eliminates another claimant to the throne, leaves Dorne without options, starts a feud between Lannisters and Martells, thus making sure that they turn to Aegon

And what's in for Darkstar? A place in Aegon's kingsguard, a chance to become a legend like Arthur and forge his own reputation.

I mean, another Dayne serving as a kingsguard for Rhaegar's son? A brilliant PR move and a win-win situation

Note: When I say Varys, I don't necessarily mean him in person (although he had to be doing something during aDwD), but could also be someone working for him

EXTRA: This from the convo between IIIlyrio and Tyrion could be evidence of this:

Tyrion was beginning to suspect that a certain freckled washerwoman knew more of the Common Speech than she pretended. “My niece Myrcella is in Dorne, as it happens. And I have half a mind to make her a queen.”

Illyrio smiled as his serving men spooned out bowls of black cherries in sweet cream for them both. “What has this poor child done to you that you would wish her dead?”

“Even a kinslayer is not required to slay all his kin,” said Tyrion, wounded. “Queen her, I said. Not kill her.”

The cheesemonger spooned up cherries. “In Volantis they use a coin with a crown on one face and a death’s-head on the other. Yet it is the same coin. To queen her is to kill her. Dorne might rise for Myrcella, but Dorne alone is not enough. If you are as clever as our friend insists, you know this.”

Good job, Jon of the Dead, I agree but with the poisoned blade and Myrcella dying, I don't see why Martin would make her survive the attack just to let her die 2 bookss later.

Agreed. I know I'm a horrible person to say this out loud, but your theory makes some sense in all other ways but the poisoned blade - I think Darkstar just missed his target, I mean he just botched it, no conspiracy theories on him trying to fail on purpose. If Myrcella's horse hadn't saved the day, she would have been dead meat then and there.

I agree with you, from the beginning I knew Darkstar was either that stupid to just try to kill a princess or under someone's orders;

But please do speak about that poisonous blade of yours, I am truly intrigued

Could you please link a Darkstar used a poison blade theory?

I haven't found a theory about that especifically, but I think it was mentioned on some posts of this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96886-dorans-law-the-grass-that-hides-the-viper/page-2

And I was looking for evidence and there's lots of it, like Darkstar saying:

“I was weaned on venom, Dalt. Any viper takes a bite of me will rue it.”

And Arianne recalling that Oberyn said

Darkstar was poison and being wary of the man

And then there's the emphasis placed on how much Rosamund looks like Myrcella. It's brought upon several times:

“Dressed in Myrcella’s bedrobe with the maester’s salve smeared across her face... she might even have fooled me, in a dim light.”

And Myrcella said she and Rosamund changed places during the journey by sea in case Stannis intercepted their ship, and she said they looked very alike.

So Rosamund could be the girl waiting for Balon Swann in the Water Gardens, I assume Doran could use Arianne's same trick, painting red spots and some salve, plus the bandages I assume she has around her head to cover the (hopefully fake) ear wound.

The thing wrong with this theory is that Doran says he plans on sending Myrcella back to KL with Lady Nym, but who knows if he's telling Arianne the truth. And we know Balon went to hunt DS, so maybe Doran is stalling until he gets either Aegon's or Dany's support. Then he could reveal Myrcella is dead with no fear of Cersei's retribution

Well, I don't know, I'm more convinced of DS working for Varys than I am of the poison thing, but I do think it's a possibility (but poor Myrcella :crying: )

i thought darkstar aspired to wield dawn, Perhaps that and being Lord of Starfall is what was promised in the new dynasty

True! I think he also wants Dawn, but at the same time I get the impression he wants to create his own image, and Arthur is so closely related to the sword that they're almost remembered as one

And good point about Starfall. With Edric missing, Gerold has a short way to go to get Starfall, and Varys maybe promised him help in that regard

I'd say its 50/50 for who Darkstar works for: Varys or Littlefinger. Both seem to gain just as much from Myrcella's death as the other does, to where it could be either of them.

I thought about LF as well. Darkstar fits the type of scum on his payroll: young, petty, amoral lords like Lyn Cobray

BUT, there are a couple of things:

1. The best thing that could happen for LF is that the Lannisters, Tyrells and Martells destroy each other because they are at the moment his biggest oposition. He could have benefitted a lot from a war between Myrcella and Tommen, so why stop Arianne's plot?

2. LF has nothing to give Darkstar as valuable as the chance to reach the level of fame of Arthur Dayne. LF is far away at the Vale, he has no power in Dorne. And his scheme with Sansa is still uncertain at best, while Aegon is already on Westeros.

OooOooOoooOooo

I like it! I LIKE IT! Not sure about the poison part but i LIKE IT! It may make a spot on my Top Crackpots List! Varys could possibly allow for Darkstar to wind up with Dawn. If Varys has intent on placing Darkstar in Aegon's Kingsguard, whos to say Dawn wont come with it?

I LIKE IT!

OooOooOoooOooo

I like it! I LIKE IT! Not sure about the poison part but i LIKE IT! It may make a spot on my Top Crackpots List! Varys could possibly allow for Darkstar to wind up with Dawn. If Varys has intent on placing Darkstar in Aegon's Kingsguard, whos to say Dawn wont come with it?

I LIKE IT!

I'm not sure guys but my womanly intuition tells me that Flo likes it.

I'd say its 50/50 for who Darkstar works for: Varys or Littlefinger. Both seem to gain just as much from Myrcella's death as the other does, to where it could be either of them.

i like the connection with littlefinger. he knows fully well myrcella got shipped off with tyrion's "tests," myrcella would be the last wildcard lannister to stop his schemes with sansa. take her out while everyone else is thinking about kings landing's tommen.

All hail the future Sword of the Evening

Archived