Why would Lyanna consent to polygamy?

WeaselPie

Question in topic title.

Lyanna Stark could have married almost anyone, and Lord Rickard saw fit to arrange her betrothal to Robert. ASOIAF has made it very clear that betrothals are pretty much set in stone, and to break a betrothal is bad business.

Why would she consent to polygamy by marrying the already-married Rhaegar (a popular theory)?

I'm finding it hard to believe that Lyanna secretly, willingly married Rhaegar (the son of the man who tortured and killed her father and brother) as a second wife.

Maybe she couldn't resist Rhaegar's game: "hey girl, wanna come with me and make some princes that were promised?"

It could have been something pragmatic, like a "bang the Stark girl, save the world" scenario

Because she's a hypocrite?

*complains about Robert not staying in one bed, marries man who does the exact same thing*

Good point!

I don't think its a given that she accepted polygamy. We don't know what Rhaegar told her ... perhaps Rhaegar told her he would put Elia aside somehow.

There are plenty of women who will get involved with a man who is married or otherwise attached ... and they don't view it as polygamy but there often an the expectation even if its subconscious that the man will eventually leave their current wife/fiancee/etc.

The idea that Lyanna and/or Elia, both of high noble birth, were OK with a polygamous arrangement, based on some half-baked prophecy, that makes them about as interesting as Eva Braun. Which would stink for the series.

Because she's a hypocrite?

*complains about Robert not staying in one bed, marries man who does the exact same thing*

This. There is nothing more to it. Don't know why her (or somebody else) being a hypocrite still surprises people.

My biggest problem with the Polygamy theory is:

just because one person believes in it or someone in there family practiced it at some point doesn't mean anyone is going to recognize it, John Snow is still going to be a Bastard and Lyanna is a paramore at best.

I actually think the revaluation will only be meaningful to Jon. I dont ever seem him being king.

That's why it makes no sense. Robert doesn't stay in one bed but its Ok for Rhaegar. Robert wasnt married at the time and Rhaegar was. Unless the answer is that Lyanna was a gold digger. Crown Prince or Lord of Storms End?

She probably fell in love with him at Harrenhal, his harp playing made her cry.

Question in topic title.

Lyanna Stark could have married almost anyone, and Lord Rickard saw fit to arrange her betrothal to Robert. ASOIAF has made it very clear that betrothals are pretty much set in stone, and to break a betrothal is bad business.

Why would she consent to polygamy by marrying the already-married Rhaegar (a popular theory)?

I'm finding it hard to believe that Lyanna secretly, willingly married Rhaegar (the son of the man who tortured and killed her father and brother) as a second wife.

I guess a solid potential answer is that she loved him, and understood his marriage to Elia was a political marriage that wasn't going to have any intimacy going forward (after all, Elia could have no more children at this stage). It also got her out of marrying Robert.

Rhaegar could rightfully claim that he didn't not have much choice to marry Elia and it was for politcal reasons, etc.

On the other hand, its hard to claim you were forced to bang the barmaid

Robert at least has the excuse that he isn't even married yet.

Archived