Robert's Rebellion = A middle finger ?

Feliciano69

Well, "Robert's" Rebellion didn't start until well after Lyanna disapperance. It was Jon Arryn, not Robert, who started the whole thing when Aerys executed Elbert Arryn, Brandon and Rickard Stark and summarily called for Ned and Robert's head.

In fact, if you start looking closer at the events that lead to the rebellion, it was most of all a bunch of lords paramount drawing the line against a paranoid king's transgressions rather than a single guy being pissed at the crown prince.

True true, though it resonated very strongly to me that Rhaegar would "steal" Lyanna away, and what with Robert feeling entitled, it seemed too much like a subversion of the entire genre.

Personally I've found that to be the most fascinating aspect as a believer of the "Rhaegar and Lyanna loved each other" hypothesis, that Robert could've led an entire war on his own to rescue a woman that had no love for him whatsoever.

Makes me wonder, the Baratheon brothers never get what they want o_O ...

That's an interesting idea.

Imagine if Martin ever writes a Westeros story a thousand years in the future and Robert's sung as a gallant knight who slayed a real dragon to save a lady, then marries her and lives happily ever after.

It would be funny :)

No, Robert was face of the rebellion since he has targaryen blood. Ned and Jon Arryn played huge role like Robert ;

Damn you, Ned Stark. You and Jon Arryn, I loved you both. What have you done to me? You were the one should have been king, you or Jon.

In fact, if you start looking closer at the events that lead to the rebellion, it was most of all a bunch of lords paramount drawing the line against a paranoid king's transgressions rather than a single guy being pissed at the crown prince.

:agree:

I always saw Rhaegar "taking" Lyanna as the final straw that broke the camel's back and gave them a reason to rebel against Aerys. I also see the whole thing as being a lot closer to Troy and all that with Lyanna being Helen.

ETA:

GRRM seems to take little pieces here and there and then mix them all together to make his own story. I DM tabletop games and when I'm designing a campaign I always start with something well known, for instance in the current game I'm running the TV show "Lost", and then I add in other parts until its a completely different unrecognizable work from where I started. While Lyanna is a lot like Helen I'd say Rhaegar is a lot more like Hamlet than Paris.

I always saw Rhaegar "taking" Lyanna as the final straw that broke the camel's back and gave them a reason to rebel against Aerys. I also see the whole thing as being a lot closer to Troy and all that with Lyanna being Helen.

That's not what actually caused the Rebellion though it was Brandon not being able to simply petition the King in a calm voice.

Followed by the King killing a bunch of Lords and Heirs at Court. Lyanna and Rhaegar had nothing to do with that.

That's not what actually caused the Rebellion though it was Brandon not being able to simply petition the King in a calm voice.

Followed by the King killing a bunch of Lords and Heirs at Court. Lyanna and Rhaegar had nothing to do with that.

Brandon was petitioning the King BECAUSE Rhaegar took Lyanna. Lyanna and Rhaegar never run off together, Brandon never goes down to King's Landing demanding Rhaegar's head.

Isn't there a theory that Aerys was paranoid for a reason, that a Stark-Tully-Arryn-Baratheon power bloc was forming that would eventually pull down the Targaryens?

And that there was a plot to take out Aerys and put Rhaegar on the throne. Most theories around that generally agree (at least that I've seen) that the Tournament of the False Spring at Harrenhal was a meeting for all of those looking to take down Aerys. Varys got wind of it and told Aerys, so he went to the tournament which was his first time going out beyond Kings Landing willingly in a very long time

Brandon was petitioning the King BECAUSE Rhaegar took Lyanna. Lyanna and Rhaegar never run off together, Brandon never goes down to King's Landing demanding Rhaegar's head.

My idea of petitioning the king definitely does not include yelling for the son of the said king to come out and die :P

Nah, Rhaegar def. had a big role to play in Robert's Rebellion starting.

It makes you wonder why Barristan calls him dutiful.

What had Rhaegar actually done to deserve that?

Was he master of coin? Master of laws? Master of ships?

Elia certainly wasn't a hideous women, so what gives?

Yeah that was just frickin lunacy. I would think you could expect bad things to happen to you when you demand violence against the kings own son. What the hell was Brandon thinking?!

That's the point - we have only a very brief account, from hardly a reliable witness, but so far it seems that Brandon was more intent on killing Rhaegar than on saving the supposedly abducted sister. With GRRM, I don't think this is coincidence.

Archived