Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

“He thought about his people without sentimentality, with a strict closing of his accounts with life, beginning to understand how much he really loved the people he hated the most.”

- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Carry on.

Another thing that's interesting is the number of suggestions that everything is just a dream.

It's been brought up as a possibility for BBT, but I think there's been more hints Community ends with everything being in one person's head.

eta:

-Inception reference with Betty White in Africa talking about the film.

-Dreamatorium episode with Annie and Abed which takes place on the campus.

-Clipshow episode, with Troy going through Inception levels screaming (suggested by AVClub IIRC)

-Episode where fake psychiatrist tells them they imagined Greendale.

-Season 4 Finale....though Season 4 may not be canon Megan Ganz may have been basing this on something Harmon said?

I'm confident there's more but can't recall them at the moment.

All that makes me thing it's less likely that this would be an actual direction the show would actually take. It uses questions of perception and imagination too regularly as a source of humor to default to that for a depressing ending. Besides, this is one show I don't think is going to have a sad ending. Bizarre and possibly very dark, but not sad as such.

All that makes me thing it's less likely that this would be an actual direction the show would actually take. It uses questions of perception and imagination too regularly as a source of humor to default to that for a depressing ending. Besides, this is one show I don't think is going to have a sad ending. Bizarre and possibly very dark, but not sad as such.

I don't think it'll actually happen [overtly] and it's possible Harmon has expressly said it wouldn't, but I think Harmon likes suggesting it.

I've seen Dan Harmon say something about having a rule for not breaking the Community universe with zaniness where no plot should get so out-there that it would make 'national news,' or something along those lines. IIRC correctly 'Epidemiology' was referenced in that discussion, which certainly seems to toe-the-line, if not outright break the rule and cheat its way out. In any case, it seems strange to me that he'd have a rule for how weird he'll allow things at Greendale to get while also setting that table for an 'all in X's head' reveal.

Whoops -> Yeah, Harmon promised it wouldn't all be in someone's head.

I've seen Dan Harmon say something about having a rule for not breaking the Community universe with zaniness where no plot should get so out-there that it would make 'national news,' or something along those lines. IIRC correctly 'Epidemiology' was referenced in that discussion, which certainly seems to toe-the-line, if not outright break the rule and cheat its way out. In any case, it seems strange to me that he'd have a rule for how weird he'll allow things at Greendale to get while also setting that table for an 'all in X's head' reveal.

Yeah, it was for Epidemiology.

Not 2nd?

American college football has blown up from just being on all major American TV networks all day New Year's day, to being on all American TV networks all day every day for most the first week of the new year.

So, no back to Greendale on the 2nd...unless it was an actual Greendale vs. City college game or something.

Community's continued quest for all the cult TV stars leads inevitably to Chris Elliott

After wending its way back through years of cult television to cull its fifth season guest stars, Community has at last landed one of the oldest-school originators of fiercely, if not widely beloved television. Chris Elliott will appear in an upcoming episode as Russell Borchert, the eccentric, Chris Elliott-like founder of Greendale who disappeared decades ago in the wake of a mysterious sex scandal—the particulars of which may or may not involve the attempted founding of a splinter “Handsome Boy Modeling School.”

=-=-=

Yeah, I already started doing a sort of rewatch, largely playing it in the background but it is tempting to stop what I'm doing and actually just watch.

Who's Chris Elliott and why is this cool?

You'd probably instantly recognize him. He's one goofy, funny guy.

Yeah, I already started doing a sort of rewatch, largely playing it in the background but it is tempting to stop what I'm doing and actually just watch.

Heck, maybe one weekend a month (usually more than one) I'll put a season on and just let it play all day as background noise, and end up getting sucked in. I have literally watched most of the episodes, from the first three seasons at least, at least half a dozen times and my favorites more than a dozen. It just never gets old. I don't understand it, but the show just never gets old for me.

Archived