Community: Apparently, We Like Dan Harmon Anyway

Datepalm

I'm not arguing how you feel about both shows but I can see why in regard to the world-building it sounds like you really dislike TBBT compared to Community.

Thank you! I'm not so much bothered that someone isn't getting what i'm trying to say (thats just fair) as by the notion I was so careful to hedge my words and not insult what I know to be the more popular show that I undercut my own point. Which is seems I did, a bit. Darn. Well, I shall have to carry this stain on my integrity as a random internet commentator person forever, it seems.

Ok, that's enough navel-gazing from me for one 24 hour stretch. What did people make of Coat-check girl? I want to like her, but on re-watch she's a touch precious, cutesy, manic-pixie-dream-girl. I do want to see Abed go through some kind of emotional something-or-other that isn't just channeling everything into the friendship with Troy, but they have to give her more of a personality than that.

In this claymation Christmas episode, at the end the group takes the cordoned off Christmas tree from the cafeteria and brings it to Abed's room.

What I didn't realize was Shirley comes back and grabs the Minorah for Annie.

Thank you! I'm not so much bothered that someone isn't getting what i'm trying to say (thats just fair) as by the notion I was so careful to hedge my words and not insult what I know to be the more popular show that I undercut my own point. Which is seems I did, a bit. Darn. Well, I shall have to carry this stain on my integrity as a random internet commentator person forever, it seems.

No worries - it happens to the best of us. Still a good read though and it did get me thinking why on the occasions i see an episode of TBBT I usually enjoy it despite all the things I know are wrong with it. It could just be that it's a very well made traditional/bad sitcom. With Community I tend to forgive it's weak moments as a "flawed episode that at leasts tries to be different".

Ok, that's enough navel-gazing from me for one 24 hour stretch. What did people make of Coat-check girl? I want to like her, but on re-watch she's a touch precious, cutesy, manic-pixie-dream-girl. I do want to see Abed go through some kind of emotional something-or-other that isn't just channeling everything into the friendship with Troy, but they have to give her more of a personality than that.

I think I'd need to see more of her as from what we've seen so far she just seems to be very laid back. The scene with them watching TV together just left me cold but I tend to think that was intentional in that Abed wants a Troy replacement. Not entirely sure what she's getting out of it though. Guess we'll have to wait and see although I'd be happy for it to be an off-screen relationship.

Guys, I have to ask - because the comments over there are baffling me completely - does it seem like I don't like TBBT from this, in favour of Community? Seriously, or I'll have to write another one that will be really mean.

I thought I was going to get attacked for being too harsh on Community - I all but call it pandering and simplistic. How can anyone possibly regard "goes out of it's way to make you feel smart and hopeful" as higher praise than "sad, subversive and refusing to provide easy satisfaction"?

I think TBBT definitely comes off a lot worse in that article, which I know you didn't really intend. I do think that's because you have a fairly unique take on it, and probably get out of it a lot more than most of us. I don't really think it's a very good show, and I don't ever buy that it has any kind of intentionality in its "subversiveness" or "depth", but as with any text it's not about what's intended but what you get out of it. I do think your arguments make a lot of sense even I'm not really convinced.

As for Community, it is the One True Geek Show, and that is all I need to know. And it features not one but two actors from Breaking Bad (I really hope Gilbert and Hickey meet at some point...).

I think I'd need to see more of her as from what we've seen so far she just seems to be very laid back. The scene with them watching TV together just left me cold but I tend to think that was intentional in that Abed wants a Troy replacement.

I don't think watching TV with someone is really so uncommon that it'd be a replacing Troy activity.

Maybe they could have gone out for coffee but I didn't really see it as anything more than a date....though maybe Abed got some action?

I don't think watching TV with someone is really so uncommon that it'd be a replacing Troy activity.

Maybe they could have gone out for coffee but I didn't really see it as anything more than a date....though maybe Abed got some action?

He says let's get dinner, but they end up watching tv - is this after dinner? Are we to assume tv and popcorn is Abed's idea of dinner? Another night alltogether? It seems to be going well, but there's an ambivalence to the scene somehow. :dunno:

I think TBBT definitely comes off a lot worse in that article, which I know you didn't really intend. I do think that's because you have a fairly unique take on it, and probably get out of it a lot more than most of us. I don't really think it's a very good show, and I don't ever buy that it has any kind of intentionality in its "subversiveness" or "depth", but as with any text it's not about what's intended but what you get out of it. I do think your arguments make a lot of sense even I'm not really convinced.

The frustrating thing is, I swear I'm not reaching or doing a deliberately backwards reading or anything - it's really my organic, immediate take. I'm doing some justification of why with all the analysis, but the thing honestly made me sad - really sad - right from watching the first few episodes.

Guys, I have to ask - because the comments over there are baffling me completely - does it seem like I don't like TBBT from this, in favour of Community?

Hmmm how to put this delicately but in the same time emphasize all the layers and implications of both question and response...yes....

I was little put off by last season but this one is getting me back as a fan. :)

Archived