Reasons why Jon would be a good king.

Jon's Queen Consort

The way I see it, Jon's greatest mistake was not communicating the political reality of the North to his men.

Jon Snow is Ned Stark's last living son. He had a bull's eye painted on his back. The Lannisters and Boltons would never let him be.

When he chose to go south with only wildlings to confront Ramsey, he was protecting the NW from any political fallout. He was Ceasared for one of two reasons:

1) Marsh & co. panicked and hoped to placate Ramsey when he showed up with his forces with Jon's body.

2) They were already planning on assassinating him to make the IT happy, and simply stepped up their time-table.

I hope Jon learns what Ned and Robb never did; just because you treat someone with honor doesn't mean they will return the favor.

Oh, and ALWAYS keep your giant wolf by your side!

I'm indifferent to Jon as a possible king. IMO, he'd be better than most candidates and not the disaster so many previous rulers have been.

What I care about deeply is the effect of his becoming king on the story. So many readers, critics, TV critics, fans of books and show say we love how twisty and unpredictable it is. I am personally jaded by years of studying English and American and some international literature and writing. So unpredictability is a mantra with me. It happens all too rarely. Ned is my favourite character, but in a way I relished his tragic death for the zing and uplift it gave to the story. Jon becoming king is predictable--he's just the new Cinder-fella. So if it happens, unless GRRM can find some way to make it really new and different, I will mourn this saga falling into the same old pattern. And if he marries a princess (either Dany or Val)--my teeth gnashing will be audible on both sides of the Atlantic.

Jon becoming king is predictable...

But is it really? I mean, those who either worked out R+L or read it here (or somewhere on the net, heard it from a friend...) it seems to be the direction we are heading. But the majority of the readers have no idea who Jon's mother is. For them, Jon being king will be a surprise. They know about Robb's will, so probably expect some king-in-the North-stuff with him, but not on the IT. So I wouldn't call it predictable.

But is it really? I mean, those who either worked out R+L or read it here (or somewhere on the net, heard it from a friend...) it seems to be the direction we are heading. But the majority of the readers have no idea who Jon's mother is. For them, Jon being king will be a surprise. They know about Robb's will, so probably expect some king-in-the North-stuff with him, but not on the IT. So I wouldn't call it predictable.

Perhaps you're right. Even my first readthrough I picked up on foreshadowing and odd things about Jon and concluded one day he might be king. I didn't know how, perhaps by soldierly prowess. But if nothing else, he did strike me as a Cinder-fella.

Archived