Worst Romance in Westeros...

Lady Howell

Please share. Which romance do you genuinely despise?

Please suggest real romances, however. Robert and Cersei don't count as a romance, nor do the sadistic marriages of Ramsay Snow so don't you dare even suggest them jokingly. I'm serious.

Mine is Lyanna/Rhaegar.

Besides Rhaegar and Lyannna I would say San/San but they're not actually together and they might never be. San/San has that typical woobify the male character. He's a bad boy who will be good for her. This is in so many romance novels I can't stand it. There's also that Beauty and the Beast trope which has been too much for me and was better done elsewhere. I would rather the female be the ugly one since the female is almost always the one who sees the beauty in the ugly male. Having said that I don't care for Jamie and Brienne regardless of the fact that the setup is better to me.

I would say San/San but they're not actually together and they might never be. San/San has that typical woobify the male character. He's a bad boy who will be good for her. This is in so many romance novels I can't stand it. There's also that Beauty and the Beast trope which has been too much for me and was better done elsewhere.

You've said it all.

Besides Rhaegar and Lyannna I would say San/San but they're not actually together and they might never be. San/San has that typical woobify the male character. He's a bad boy who will be good for her. This is in so many romance novels I can't stand it. There's also that Beauty and the Beast trope which has been too much for me and was better done elsewhere. I would rather the female be the ugly one since the female is almost always the one who sees the beauty in the ugly male. Having said that I don't care for Jamie and Brienne regardless of the fact that the setup is better to me.

Agreed. I don't believe I've ever been as creeped out by any fanfom pairing as I am by SanSan. Not to mention she's a child during the entire time they spend together.

But, yeah, hopefully SanSan will stay just a figment of imagination in the minds of certain shippers.

Of the actual "romances" we've seen described the very worst is probably Dany/Drogo. I honestly can't tell if we're meant to think Dany is deluding herself into thinking she had some sort of epic romance in order to survive her ordeal with the slaving, raping barbarian horselord or if this is really what passes for romance in GRRM's mind...

Agreed. I don't believe I've ever been as creeped out by any fanfom pairing as I am by SanSan. Not to mention she's a child during the entire time they spend together.

But, yeah, hopefully SanSan will stay just a figment of imagination in the minds of certain shippers.

Of the actual "romances" we've seen described the very worst is probably Dany/Drogo. I honestly can't tell if we're meant to think Dany is deluding herself into thinking she had some sort of epic romance in order to survive her ordeal with the slaving, raping barbarian horselord or if this is really what passes for romance in GRRM's mind...

I also hate Dany/Drogo. He couldn't sell that to me.

There was a romance in another series and I remember the male character was like don't romanticize me. I'm not good. This is how I am and take it or leave it. I would prefer that than whitewashing, romanticizing, and some half assed redemption.

Archived