Which is the most wealthiest house in the North ?

naik2902

I don't think Starks are poor, they control a large amount of land and bannermen pay taxes. However they don't control a city, don't have any natural resources (except woodland) and aren't located on the coast, so no port for trade.

House Manderly are probably the richest house in the north, they control the only city and largest port.

I don't think the Starks care about wealth that much, they are rich enough to throw occasional feasts, upkeep Winterfell, pay dowries and support their armed forces. That's enough for them.

The Starks are poor compared to the other Great Houses of Westeros (I believe only the Greyjoys are poorer) but they should still be richer than their bannermen, because they collect taxes from said bannermen. Of their bannermen the Manderlys are undoubtedly the richest, but Wyman Manderly still shows up at Winterfell in ACOK to ask his liege for gold to build a fleet.

And they can't be described as poor in an absolute sense, not even remotely. They live in a great big castle with a small army of servants and guardsmen to keep them safe and wait on their every need, they dress in fine silks and furs, they throw big feasts on a fairly regular basis, they even own a Valyrian Steel sword. They are very much members of the highest Westerosi elite. At most, there are maybe a couple dozen families richer than they are, namely the royal family, the southron Great Houses, some of the bigger bannerhouses in the Reach, and Westerlands houses with good gold mines.

it's definitely the starks imo they collect taxes from everyone and i can't see much expenses to eat away from that

here's what i thought to be weird , all that wealth (coins ,silver ,gold ,gems ,valuable items ) had to be stored in a treasury somewhere ,most likely Winterfell , your own safe in your own house , but what happened to it when Winterfell was taken ,did the ironborn plunder it (unlikely ,as they were under siege almost immediately after they took it ) do the boltons have it now ? or is the treasury hidden underground under winterfell , with only starks knowing where it is ?

i think Mr Martin just forgot about that :idea:

Isn't Barrowtown the second largest town in the North? Isn't it ruled by House Dustin? I'd say they are third wealthiest.

That would make Lady Dustin a very important ally in that front as well, might be why Roose seems to be especially interested to keep her on their side.

The Starks are poor compared to the other Great Houses of Westeros (I believe only the Greyjoys are poorer) but they should still be richer than their bannermen, because they collect taxes from said bannermen. Of their bannermen the Manderlys are undoubtedly the richest, but Wyman Manderly still shows up at Winterfell in ACOK to ask his liege for gold to build a fleet.

And they can't be described as poor in an absolute sense, not even remotely. They live in a great big castle with a small army of servants and guardsmen to keep them safe and wait on their every need, they dress in fine silks and furs, they throw big feasts on a fairly regular basis, they even own a Valyrian Steel sword. They are very much members of the highest Westerosi elite. At most, there are maybe a couple dozen families richer than they are, namely the royal family, the southron Great Houses, some of the bigger bannerhouses in the Reach, and Westerlands houses with good gold mines.

I'd wager the Starks outstrip a few great houses in wealth, primarily the Baratheons, Martells and Greyjoys.

None of those regions have the income of a major city lining their pockets.

The difference between the Starks and them, is merely lifestyle choice.

Could Robb be as ostentatious as Renly were a war not being waged? Sure, but what would be the point in Robb's eyes? The people he's surrounded by and rule over wouldn't be awed by the excess, but disdain it.

I think Manderly can put more coin on the table, but i doubt the Starks are far behind.

Archived