Joe Abercrombie: SPOILER THREAD for all of the First Law books

MisterOJ

I doubt that something that significant would be told in short story form.

I don't know, a little romantic encounter between Bayaz and Tolomei might work in short story form, or better yet, graphic novel.

ETA: On a serious note, it could actually work. There is no need to tell everything, a small part of their time together can be told in a short story without giving too much away. He could even write something that would make Bayaz even more mysterious.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I just finished Before they are hanged.

I was wondering if there's any precision about the chronology of the world later on in the books. Mostly, how long ago did Euz separated this world form the demons, for how long did the Old Empire exist, how long ago did Glustrod destroy Aulcus, how long ago did Juvens and Kanedias died, and how long ago did Bayaz help to found the Union?

I can make some basic guesstimates as the Union being many centuries old, but probably no more than a thousand years, possibly less, and (most) other events being thousands of years ago. I'm really curious to know if there was a long gap between the death of the Maker and the creation of the Union - I really have no idea there.

If there's some kind of timeline or at least more precise indications in Last Argument of Kings or the standalones, just tell me - I'll see it when I'll read them ;)

As for the book, it was great, I'm just annoyed that I have a handful of other readings waiting on my table before I allow myself to go and by the last part of the trilogy.

Loved Glokta contemplating the execution of the Gurkish "assassin" at the end, thinking "You can put a man to death and display his entrails to ladies but to let them see his naked cock, that would be obscene." Reminds me of some South Park quotes :D

I don't remember any precise timeline in the third book. But I wonder if Joe Abercrombie has a rule against timelines the same way he doesn't like giving away official maps for the series.

Anyway, I don't think the FL is the kind of series where a timeline is necessary, or even matters.

I was wondering if there's any precision about the chronology of the world later on in the books. Mostly, how long ago did Euz separated this world form the demons, for how long did the Old Empire exist, how long ago did Glustrod destroy Aulcus, how long ago did Juvens and Kanedias died, and how long ago did Bayaz help to found the Union?

I can make some basic guesstimates as the Union being many centuries old, but probably no more than a thousand years, possibly less, and (most) other events being thousands of years ago. I'm really curious to know if there was a long gap between the death of the Maker and the creation of the Union - I really have no idea there.

If there's some kind of timeline or at least more precise indications in Last Argument of Kings or the standalones, just tell me - I'll see it when I'll read them ;)

Joe revealed in an old thread from this forum that BTAH finishes year 577 after the founding of the Union by Harod the Great (and Bayaz). The text says that Juvens and Kenedias died "a thousand years ago", and that the Old Empire was on its height a couple of thousand years ago.

I'm not aware of any data regarding the chronology of the older events.

• 2 months later...

I decided to reread THE FIRST LAW Trilogy, Heroes, Best Served Cold and Red Country while waiting for GRRM.

Some question really popped up for me in Heroes and Red Country.

In The Blade Itself, Black Dow seems to actually show some concern for and sadness at the Death of Forley at the hands of Calder. Of course, these emotions are extremely muted given Dow's nature, but Abercrombie plants that seed. However, in Heroes, the hard, bloody, unforgiving Dow keeps Calder alive and, truth be told, in a pretty nice situation (loving wife, nice accomodations, etc.) and Dow even shows a bit of...trust(?) in Calder. Dow is all id and anger and I cannot for the life of me understand Dow's attitude here.Dow is hardly the one for forgiveness.

Secondly, why did Shivers take so many years to come after 'Lamb'? He seemed to come to some sort of acceptance with the death of his brother...why look for 'Lamb' at the far corners of the earth?

I trust Abercrombie enough to believe that there is an underlying motivation that I am simply missing.

1. Dow keeps Calder alive to keep Scale and other Bethod-loyalists in line, as well as keeping Reachey (who's daughter is married to Calder) happy. His patience is not endless, however. There is some talk of how he's had to suppress his id and anger to some degree in order to keep the bickering Northmen all marching in the same direction.

2. Shivers was sent by Calder, rumour of Lamb's continued existence having taken that long to reach him.

Secondly, why did Shivers take so many years to come after 'Lamb'? He seemed to come to some sort of acceptance with the death of his brother...why look for 'Lamb' at the far corners of the earth?

I trust Abercrombie enough to believe that there is an underlying motivation that I am simply missing.

Shivers told Monza in BSC: "I dreamed of it. My fondest wish for years. I had the chance more´n once. Vengeance on the Bloody-Nine".

So all the way, Shivers was probably very conflicted about getting even, and learned a lesson from Monza´s own (cold) revenge.

1. Dow keeps Calder alive to keep Scale and other Bethod-loyalists in line, as well as keeping Reachey (who's daughter is married to Calder) happy. His patience is not endless, however. There is some talk of how he's had to suppress his id and anger to some degree in order to keep the bickering Northmen all marching in the same direction.

2. Shivers was sent by Calder, rumour of Lamb's continued existence having taken that long to reach him.

Was I reading too much into Dow's great show of 'tenderness' (damned if I can think of a better word) toward Forley?

I would really like to see Shivers in his own story arc.

IMO, you did in the three standalones. His story is pretty much complete now. I would be perfectly content if we don't see him again and he has just ridden out into the sunset for the final time.

IMO, you did in the three standalones. His story is pretty much complete now. I would be perfectly content if we don't see him again and he has just ridden out into the sunset for the final time.

I don't think I'd want to see him as a main character, he's devoted himself to killing too much. Just because he let Logan off without a fight, doesn't mean he's a changed man.

But if we find ourselves back in the North I'd like him around to support and be generally terrifying.

These threads always do a slight mindfuck on me (the Lawrence ones too). You go along reading, without looking at names of posters, see something being explained and go "Yeah, that sound plausable." Then a few posts later realize.... "Wait... that was the writer who chimed in."

These threads always do a slight mindfuck on me (the Lawrence ones too). You go along reading, without looking at names of posters, see something being explained and go "Yeah, that sound plausable." Then a few posts later realize.... "Wait... that was the writer who chimed in."

It's not Joe, it's some guy who thinks he knows things. But upon closer analysis his timelines don't make sense.

Archived