What we're reading in July 2006

Calibandar

Just finished Hobb's Royal Assassin. It read quite a bit slower than Assassin's Apprentice, and had a rather different feel to it. Assassin's Apprentice had a fairly childish feel in a lot of ways, though less so towards the end. It read fast and easy. Royal Assassin, however, took a while to read, and was both depressing (one of those "everything goes wrong for the heroes" stories) and somewhat confusing. Decent enough, I expect to pick up Assassin's Quest come my next Amazon order, but not spectacular.

Grabbed Lucifer's Hammer to start today. If you're noticing a trend towards books reccomended here, it's because I put a large Amazon order together consisting primarily of books reccomended here.

I just finished reading American Gods by Gaiman and Jitterbug Perfume by Robbins.

Gods didn't exactly live up to my expectations. Definitely a well-written book, but it could have used a lot more detail and a more interesting plot.

Jitterbug Perfume is the first book i've read by Tom Robbins, and I enjoyed it thouroughly. I've noticed in my short time on these boards that people hardly ever mention Robbins, Vonnegut, or other contemporary satire/humor writers, you guys need to lighten up :P . Anyway, Robbins has a really unique writing style and uses some of the most ridiculous (in a good way) analogies that i've ever read. Very interesting plot and original characters, i would recommend this book to anyone (well...as long as they didn't mind gratuitous sex).

I'm reading Scott Lynch (like everyone else) and have been enjoying it thoroughly so far. I've also been listening to ACOK on audiobook, which forces me to slow down the pace at which I read the book. I've found that to be a good thing for re-reads (having done a similar thing with The Silmarillion and LotR).

I'm going to be having a fair bit of time to read when I'm visiting my parents in Denmark, but I'm not sure what I should bring with me to read. I might use the opportunity to read something that they have. Might force me to read something other than what I'd otherwise be exposed to. I'm also just hoping to move on and listen to the rest of the ACOK and move along with ASOS.

I just finished Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, and am currently NOT reading Lynch like everyone else, but that may have something to do with Xray reading our copy at the moment.

Currently I am reading Glasshouse by Charles Stross.

Finally starting Bakker's Prince of Nothing series. I've been meaning to read it for awhile, just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm not very far, about halfway through the first book, but I'm really enjoying it.

Then it's on to Angela's Ashes and Oliver Twist, which are required for eleventh grade English next year. We had no choice at all this year. No free read either. Format used to be pick one of two and have a free read, then it was changed to any three of a list of eight or so, but now they've decided to make these two books required. Ugh.

Two days ago I finished Stranger from a Strange Land by Heinlein via audibobook. It is the first book I've read by him and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I felt that was mediocre was the portrayal of women-- to me they seemed the same/ very very similar. (Vacant might be applicable as well).

Making another attempt at Memories of Ice. I haven't gotten very far yet, but it's already managed to annoy me.

SPOILER: Memories of Ice
Our first encounter with the Crippled God turns out to be nothing more than a "AND THE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE!!!1!" scene. I was not amused.

How about you, me, and M-Xray go find Charlie, and when he asks for drinks, turn him down, eh? :rofl:

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

(actually, Xray and I missed out on snubbing Stross for drinks at Boskone, thanks to the whole 'staying with my sister in the suburbs' thing)

The Warrior-Prophet has been finished off and pretty good it was as well. The final battle was a bit unconvincing, but Bakker interestingly pulled it off by suddenly switching from his over-the-general's-shoulder view used earlier in the book to a more grand, Silmarillion-style epic clash. Unfortunately I can't read the third one yet as I have to buy it at the Bakker signing in two weeks' time. Damn them.

Now reading Christopher Priest's The Separation. Great start as well. Bit puzzled as to all the negative reviews on Amazon (well, one) moaning "But this isn't SF!" since it is made abundantly clear within the first chapter why it's SF.

SPOILER: The Separation
Such as when the main character mentions Britain pulling out of WWII in May 1941 and Germany driving Russia to the Urals and accepting their surrender a year later: yep, parallel history time. Except it isn't. And is. And my head hurts. Great stuff anyway

Finished Stross' Glasshouse. It's fun, though I get a little lost in the whole civilization as a network descriptions now and then.

Now reading Ian McDonald's River of Gods.

Finshed The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold so as to get a heads up on what Peter Jackson & co are working on.

Took it to work to continue reading but made the mistake of reading some current events on a recent child killing in the paper that day and was too depressed to open the book up for a while after. But persevered and in the end I got a sense of catharsis and was content with the journey the characters went through. The characters that mattered to my mind that is. My sister read it just before I did and although she liked it she hated the ending. It will be interesting to see how PJ & Co bring it to the big screen.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman The perfect book to lift one's spirits after the malancholy The Lovely Bones. More humourous and fun to read than American Gods (though I liked that too but for other reasons). The plot is quite predictable which almost made it boring in the middle part but then it picks up well towards the end and before you know another part of the American Gods universe has been explored.

Legends II : Anthology edited by Robert Silverberg. Now you know why I've got this. I'm saving The Sword Sword to read last or for as long as I can. It helps that one of the stories is an American Gods novella The Monarch of the Glen so this is what I've just started reading.

I have not read the Legends(I) Anthology as I had picked up The Hedge Knight as a graphic novel so I will use this second collection to glimpse into the worlds of other fantasy writers before picking up on some of the numerous recommendations in the other threads.

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue. Shamelessly scoured Amazon to see what was popular, then requested it through the library and what do you know, it was there when I picked up Legends II. I will post thoughts once its read - maybe for August's thread if Legends II proves that good.

Finished Lies of Locke Lamora. Two thumbs up, fo sho.

Reading (oh yes I am!) Gardens of the Moon. I'm curious to see where on the continuum I'll fall (I really enjoyed Prince of Nothing, although I will not claim that it's fault-free) vis a vis Bakker/Erikson. So far, I'm bored. :unsure: I'll muscle through it, though. Tis only right and fair, and I know that Deadhouse Gates is supposed to be superiour.

Finished up Lamb by Chistopher Moore this weekend.

Damn, was that a fun book. I havent laughed this much at a book since reading HHGTTG.

more thoughts on it here.

I was debating what to start next... I'm still awaiting Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora. I finally decided on River of Gods by Ian MacDonald.

Archived