Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

Latest trailer.

The effects shots all look great. The scenes with actors in them...less so.

That doesn't really seem like a fair critique to me as the trailer had exactly one line of dialogue. We also know that at least one of these actors is going to be great as John Rhys Davies has never delivered a substandard performance, 

I am not sold on the leather pants, the elven make-up or the lead actor, who seems to have the charisma of a watermelon.

The fact that we've now had two trailers and no-ones actually spoken in them is a bit concerning. But you're right, more data needed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So Shannara's two-hour premiere is Tuesday, January 5th, on MTV.  I thought I'd do a round-up of recent reviews for first couple of episodes:

Forbes thinks it's the next Game of Thrones! No, the next Star Wars!   C'mon Forbes, you're drunk.  (No spoilers)

Terri Schwartz is not drunk, though she's probably wants to be.  IGN review with spoilers, and goes into specifics of deviations from the source material.

Will Ohmsford is Shea's son, instead of grandson, and Uncle Flick is alive and in the show.

io9 says it's very much what you'd expect from MTV, but it kind of works.  No spoilers.

SpoilerTV.com gushes.  Includes a section listing favorite quotes from the first two episodes giving an idea of the quippy quippiness of the dialogue.

I trust the reviews on this messageboard more than that of any self- indulgent jizzbucket writing for some entertainment magazine... I'm looking forward to this show even though I know nothing about the source material.... I have some trepidation because MTV is not a channel a ever watch.... but I'll give it a shot.

I forgot that this was coming out until I saw this weird advertisement that tries to tie in climate change awareness with Shannara. It appears like they are going to bring the destruction of the world more to the forefront than it was in the books. I actually read the Word and Void series recently so I remember the bridge concepts.

They really took a Ginsu knife to the book's plot, and zipped around like they had Littlefinger's teleporter.  Was anybody unfamiliar with the book able to figure out what was going on?

Haven't read the books (Well I read the first two chapters IIRC so I got through Allanon's first info dump) but I think I got it pretty well what's happening. The Elcrys is dying, & the demons imprisoned in the other world are escaping one by one. Furthermore, I enjoyed the hell out of it. There might still be some "initial reaction hype" going on, but if it continues like this it might find itself at the very top of my all time favorite TV shows by the end of the season. Personally I found the first two episodes of Shannara to be better than the two first episodes of GOT. As it's only two episodes long at the moment, I remain a bit cautious with it.

The characters were good and quite funny, the CGI and magic looked great and the setting was beautiful.

Missed this last night due to the Expanse but apparently MTV.com has the first four episodes up for streaming - will start watching those tonight.

Good to see there is some positive initial reaction.

Seriously? Awesome! Thank you.

I like your name by the way. ;)

They really took a Ginsu knife to the book's plot, and zipped around like they had Littlefinger's teleporter.  Was anybody unfamiliar with the book able to figure out what was going on?

I haven't read the book but it wasn't hard to follow along, though I thought things moved pretty rapidly. Overall, I was impressed with it.

Archived