Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

On 1/10/2016 at 6:54 AM, zelticgar said:

That is what I'm afraid of. I cant remember much detail but i think in one of the original books there was a friendly gnome or troll. Maybe they can invent a really good looking gnome to be a good character :)

In the first book, there is a good Troll character and they also explain how the bad guys in that book staged a coup against the Troll leadership and killed the leaders who wouldn't cooperate. Also some of the Gnome foot soldiers are shown to be decent guys with little understanding of what their leadership is actually aiming to achieve. In later books a human empire are the baddies and the Gnomes and Trolls are mostly left out of it, so there is some nuance in the world building, but none of these  examples are in elf stones and whether the show chooses to use this wold building is up  in the air. 

About the gnome, I have some spoilers I suppose:

Spoiler

Slanter helps Wil's son in the Wishsong of Shannara, so I'm guessing they're introducing his character early in the show (they even named the the gnome in the show Slanter), though he certainly wasn't in the Elfstones book. I also think gnomes didn't look like...whatever the hell they are in the show.

And man, the reaper really sucked. Literally the whole reason I tuned in. The books weren't amazing, it's true, but they were fun. This show is something else.

I had kind of forgotten this show was a thing, not sure I should be grateful for this thread reminding me of it. Five episodes in it's already getting repetitive. How many captures and escapes have there been so far? And are those part of the drinking game?

Bonus points for gratuitous sexual assault. I guess we hadn't already established that that character was a villain? Or is he going to have some kind of redemption arc, since he helped kill the monster that would have murdered him as well as the elves?

20 hours ago, Jon AS said:

And are those part of the drinking game?

I had some friends over this weekend. They hadn't seen Shannara yet and I invited them specifically with the drinking game in mind. It was honestly pretty boring, The Shannara Chronicles is not something that works very well in groups. And as a result the drinking game was pretty lackluster, although we had consumed our fair share of drinks after the first episode. We got tired of the series after that first episode though and we actually ended up playing poker and watching What We Do In The Shadows, which is actually a great comedy.

We had the following rules for the drinking game:

1) Junk from our world in sight: drink
2) Incest vibes: drink (although this evolved to: "Is uncle incest on screen?" If yes, than have a drink)
3) LOTR locations or actors: drink
4) Someone refers to ears: a drink per ear
5) Shirtless dudes: drink per shirtless guy
6) Blue stones sighting: drink
7) Fashion stolen from The Hunger Games: drink

I think that was all. 

54 minutes ago, Crixus said:

May I suggest an addition to your game, @Veltigar: Crixus sighting in Shannara aka he wasn't killed outside Rome after all! 

Crixus is the Ever Living Druid, the Bane of Jupiter's Cock, the One Whose Fuck Is Not Given. May the Gods make a place for him in their midst when the time comes for him to leave this world. 6,000 is too short a time for him to walk among us.

16 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Crixus is the Ever Living Druid, the Bane of Jupiter's Cock, the One Whose Fuck Is Not Given. May the Gods make a place for him in their midst when the time comes for him to leave this world. 6,000 is too short a time for him to walk among us.

Perfection. Crixus approves.

@Corvinus: haven't read the books. Does the Druid die? Also, how closely are they sticking to the books so far?

That last episode was too much "Fellowship of the Ring" to me... the Caradhras, the Moria, the Balrog trailing them... I truly expected the elven captain to not make it out of the fortress ! ^^

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

haven't read the books either

There are books with this name, sort of, and characters that have those names....but other than that they're not really following too closely.  The concept of the Ellcrys is still there, the demon army, Amberle and Will as names.

The sword from the cellar?  Nope.  What happened with the sword?  Nope.

It's a train wreck but I will continue to watch it just to see how they do the armies, etc.

3 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

There are books with this name, sort of, and characters that have those names....but other than that they're not really following too closely.  The concept of the Ellcrys is still there, the demon army, Amberle and Will as names.

The sword from the cellar?  Nope.  What happened with the sword?  Nope.

It's a train wreck but I will continue to watch it just to see how they do the armies, etc.

Will they have the budget for that?

Havent read the books, so I dunno, but I'd be damn surprised the Druid is dead. C'mon, I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but for me it's obvious he'll "surprisingly" come back from the dead at the hour of need... 

On the recent development, think we need to ask ourselves two questions:

1) How did LoTR handle this?

2) How would Brooks have copied it?

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I can't comment on 2), but we all know how LoTR handled that particular plotpoint :P 

5 minutes ago, Arkash said:
Spoiler

Havent read the books, so I dunno, but I'd be damn surprised the Druid is dead. C'mon, I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but for me it's obvious he'll "surprisingly" come back from the dead at the hour of need... 

You know this isn't a spoilerthread right :P 

On 3-2-2016 at 1:17 PM, Crixus said:

I have still only watched the first episode and reading everyone's views ain't exactly motivating...

May I suggest an addition to your game, @Veltigar: Crixus sighting in Shannara aka he wasn't killed outside Rome after all! 

I'll show myself out. 

When he first appeared, I introduced him to my friends as "The Undefeated Druid/Gandalf" after that, whenever he popped on screen we all shouted that moniker at the screen :P 

I don't think I'll play that drinking game anymore btw, it doesn't make the series better unfortunately :P 

Archived