Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

Yeah.... he's in a few other books so there's no way he could be dead.  I'm guessing the sword sent him through to the Forbidding, so it's like a mini-Ellcrys.  Except evil?  He did say the sword was evil magic.  Maybe some other dimension then.

man, that episode was really, really bad.

Wtf was that opening music video? Didn't the series get the memo, mtv doesn't do music videos anymore.

It was basically saw meats LOTR right? 

EDIT: I do still like Will. Every character that uses the potential apocalypse to date way out of his league gets mad respect :P 

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

EDIT: I do still like Will. Every character that uses the potential apocalypse to date way out of his league gets mad respect :P 

LOL .... right.... and remember he did just that with Thea Queen as well

Overall... this is really just like ShadowHunters on Freeform/ABC Family (maybe a 'lil better than that) .... it's a Y.A. show that will have it's moments, but ultimately it's meant for the Twightlight crowd... so it'll disappoint people who are hoping it would be Game of Thrones

4 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

LOL .... right.... and remember he did just that with Thea Queen as well

Overall... this is really just like ShadowHunters on Freeform/ABC Family (maybe a 'lil better than that) .... it's a Y.A. show that will have it's moments, but ultimately it's meant for the Twightlight crowd... so it'll disappoint people who are hoping it would be Game of Thrones

I think I'm enjoying Shadowhunters more overall.

I feel that portentous visions of doom needs to be added to the drinking game. Also another capture and escape sequence in this episode. Everybody drink! Do the writers know that there are different ways to build tension?

At least we seem to have narrowed down the number of questing dumbasses down to four. I wonder how many times creepy wannabe rapist guy has to betray the other three before they'll finally no longer put up with him? I think answering that question will be my main reason to continue following this show until the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Arkash said:

Should check Shadowhunter, but I feel like it's Supernatural for YA so, well... 

It's free on Netflix for me, so I gave it a look. It's pretty damn bad. Shannara at least has some nice visuals from time to time and is trying for an epic scale, Shadowhunters just has a bunch of pretty, angsty teens being angsty and looking pretty.

I really must be bored right now, because I can't think of any other reason for me to have watched yet another episode of Shannara. The writing is  so very, very bad.

Spoiler

The Elf Hunters in theory were a pretty interesting villain of the week (despite the fact that their look was ripped straight out of an early Mad Max film), but obviously the lead hunter needed to have shagged Ethiopia, because the fact that these were for profit murderers just wasn't hardcore enough for Shannara. To make mathers worse, the show pulls a classic Shannara move by stretching yet another villain of the week out over two weeks. That's not how this is supposed to work damn it. Add to that that these hunters were excruciatingly stupid (why leave but one guard? Why spread out? Why leave the dragon alive? And most disappointingly of all, if your leader promises a double share to the hunter who brings the head of the elven princess to her, why hesitate when you have her right in your fucking sights).

The sideplot was just as stupid. I'm glad to see the Undefeated druid back, but how he was used was fucking drizzle. How can I take any threat to that character seriously if he keeps returning from the dead? And my God, if the Dagda Mor + evil sword can't even cope against him to slay one measily prince inside his own HQ, why the fuck should the rest of the world be worried exactly? It seems to me that if they would stop dicking around, this would all be over in five minutes flat.

Other observations:

1) That guy playing the dragonrider (Pern or something) was fucking horrendous. Tonally that guy was all over the place
2) How the fuck did the Reaper, which survived a poisonous gas explosion, die from a fall if those three douchesnozzles of leads survived it?
3) Fucking D&D dices. So stupid.
4) Where the fuck is that mountain anyway? And for that mather, why is that dragon rider guy flying around in a place where no elf should be living? Is it that much to ask for the writing staff to remember dialogue from the episode right before this one?
5) "We're both orphans, don't feel at home and have the hots for the same guy, bla bla bla" must be the most redundant (and ill-conceived) piece of dialogue of the year. Are all these people vying for the title of Captain Obvious?
6) How did Amberley cut herself on a jagged rock while floating downriver? She fell from a fucking huge mountain, wouldn't that be a better explanation for a potential wound?
7) Why the fuck did Amberley and Ethiopia leave the weapons of the guys they defeated behind? Why do they don't make any sense? Is it not fucking logical to arm yourself with their crossbows if your opponents have range weapons and you don't?

There is probably more, but I'm stopping here. 

I'm committed to seeing this through to the end, but I can't see this improving at all.

On 10-2-2016 at 10:43 PM, Pliskin said:

I don't think it's a dragon. More like a griffin or something, no? But I see what you did there with Pern.

ETA: It seems to have a beak, but definitely not a griffin.

He says he was on a scouting mission to warn outlying villages of Elfs no? But last episode we heard from the Saw wannabe that the place beyond Pyken was no place for Elves? 

On 10-2-2016 at 10:43 PM, Pliskin said:

I don't think it's a dragon. More like a griffin or something, no? But I see what you did there with Pern.

Thanks :) To be honest, I thought the character was a sort of nod to that series (wasn't the guy called Perm?)

On 10-2-2016 at 4:47 PM, Arkash said:

I totally agree with all your points, but one : I really laughed and loved the roleplaying dices ! :D

I must say that I laughed at Poppy Drayton's crazy eyes when she showed Will the dice. It was like the whole show suddingly came to a halt to scream "HEY NERDS DO YOU SEE THIS HOT GIRL/SEXY WARRIOR PRINCES WITH D&D DICES IN HER HANDS? JUST HANG IN THERE NERDS! YOU'LL EVENTUALLY BE ABLE TO BANG CHICKS LIKE THAT! THEY'LL EVENTUALLY REALIZE HOW COOL ALL OF THIS REALLY IS." :P 

From the book the Wing Rider's name is Perk.  He's a Sky Elf, which is a tribe of elves not affiliated with Arbolon.  I vaguely remember they hid their society from Arbolon, could be wrong. 

Genevieve is a Roc.  Basically a giant eagle.  They're from Wing Cove, which oddly, the series decided to go to at the beginning of the season where the King's sister died by the Furie.  But no Rocs or Sky Elves in sight...  they are cliff dwellers, so impossible to find if you don't have a Roc.   I don't know why they had that location then, since this would have been the natural time to set this episode there.  Even though there are no damn elf hunters in the book.

I am having a problem with the lack of nudity in a series that clearly have a lot of teasing, pretty crude sexual references, attempted rapes and innuendos. Keep it child friedly or go full mode (Am I the only one getting annoyed with this tone - it is far too common in tv-series for my taste).

If you don´t want to show anything - fine, but please them remove scenes like the bathing scene with the women (Which was only fanservice, yet showed nothing).

Allanon was also very clearly not dead since he needs to be around

Spoiler

to kill Dagda Mor in a duel later

and there was really no reason to expect him to be after the second last episode.

My impression so far - very cheesy but could be entertaining if I had been younger. Just fix the goddamm tone.

Also,

Spoiler

King Eventine is supposed to die by the Changeling later when the war/siege starts (The changeling was in Manx in the book as well - I am a bit annoyed that they spoiled that early) and they clearly want to have the changeling as a threat longer so they expanded the arc. The King is 100% dead - trust me.

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I must say that I laughed at Poppy Drayton's crazy eyes when she showed Will the dices. It was like the whole show suddingly came to a halt to scream "HEY NERDS DO YOU SEE THIS HOT GIRL/SEXY WARRIOR PRINCES WITH D&D DICES IN HER HANDS? JUST HANG IN THERE NERDS! YOU'LL EVENTUALLY BE ABLE TO BANG CHICKS LIKE THAT! THEY'LL EVENTUALLY REALIZE HOW COOL ALL OF THIS REALLY IS." :P 

Yeah, okay, I admit it's true, the writers probably wanted to make a "subtle as a troll in the dungeons" appeal to the rolepalying community, but it's so rare to see that kind of item on screen that I must admit it really amused me ! ^^

12 hours ago, Protagoras said:

I am having a problem with the lack of nudity in a series that clearly have a lot of teasing, pretty crude sexual references, attempted rapes and innuendos. Keep it child friedly or go full mode (Am I the only one getting annoyed with this tone - it is far too common in tv-series for my taste).

If you don´t want to show anything - fine, but please them remove scenes like the bathing scene with the women (Which was only fanservice, yet showed nothing).

Allanon was also very clearly not dead since he needs to be around

Hide contents

to kill Dagda Mor in a duel later

and there was really no reason to expect him to be after the second last episode.

My impression so far - very cheesy but could be entertaining if I had been younger. Just fix the goddamm tone.

Also,

Hide contents

King Eventine is supposed to die by the Changeling later when the war/siege starts (The changeling was in Manx in the book as well - I am a bit annoyed that they spoiled that early) and they clearly want to have the changeling as a threat longer so they expanded the arc. The King is 100% dead - trust me.

It's mTV, not HBO - they can't do nudity.

Yes, they are deviating from the books in great amounts so I really wouldn't put the bank on who killed who when being something they hold hard and fast to.

My wife looked at me last night as I was watching this and asked if my shoulder was bothering me because I had a pained look on my face.

Varsity jacket?  dice?  GandalfAllanon?

1 minute ago, Greywolf2375 said:

It's mTV, not HBO - they can't do nudity.

Then please remove the sexual scenes, innuendos, teasing etc. The sexual tone is far, far too high for a series who can´t (or won´t) do nudity.  Why have scenes like the bath scene (who is 100% fanservice and helps the plot in no way whatsoever) if you are not willing to commit? Its the worst kind of "american adolescent puperty issues" (Yeah, we cant show nipples because nipples are satan, but we must add sexual scenes with naked women barely covering the sweet spots in sexy environments. Hooters are a place for gentemen, but nipples and actual nudity - thats bad).

Archived