Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The amount of human relics in this episode would have had me shit-faced had I decided to play the drinking game. And the D&D dice had me rolling. :lol:

On the plus side nobody got held prisoner for half the episode.

I have no clue what the world this is set in looks like, where everything is in relation to other places or who lives where. For some reason their Mordor seems awfully close to the elven capital, given how quickly people travel between those two locations. Or maybe our bumbling heroes are just going in circles and they didn't actually have to cross that imposing mountain chain.

Not establishing the world seems like a big oversight. I don't really know who in this world is even worth saving from the demon armies. It's certainly not the people whose misadventures we've been following, or any of the groups they've encountered along the way.

17 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I must say that I laughed at Poppy Drayton's crazy eyes when she showed Will the dices.

'Dice' is already the plural form, the singular being 'die'. Sorry, but that was just driving me crazy.;)

Not that I'm defending this show, but you don't need to have nudity every time you have sexual innuendo, teasing, etc. Yes, we all know what a naked body looks like. Yes, it's kind of a silly standard we have where everything about the breast is ok to show, except the nipple. But the target audience is younger than HBO fare. The tone is fine.

That's like saying if they are shooting guns, then they should show heads exploding or actual looking gun wounds. While there are some who would say that's better than glorifying war with bloodless violence, not every show needs to be realistic to this degree.

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Not that I'm defending this show, but you don't need to have nudity every time you have sexual innuendo, teasing, etc. Yes, we all know what a naked body looks like. Yes, it's kind of a silly standard we have where everything about the breast is ok to show, except the nipple. But the target audience is younger than HBO fare. The tone is fine.

That's like saying if they are shooting guns, then they should show heads exploding or actual looking gun wounds. While there are some who would say that's better than glorifying war with bloodless violence, not every show needs to be realistic to this degree.

Well, its certainly a minus in my book. Stick to the general tone in everything and try to be consistant.

Edit: Its like having a gun show with constant dialogues on how bloody and violent weapons are, how horrible war is and the suffering of the victim and their families. Yet, when the actual battle arrives all who dies are not seen directly, no blood is visible and those suffering families are never mentioned again. Either make it realistic or don´t.

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Yes, we all know what a naked body looks like.

The fact that we're still watching this show is counterevidence to that statement :P 

18 hours ago, Myrddin said:

While there are some who would say that's better than glorifying war with bloodless violence, 

I generally tend to fall in this camp. The way some films go about slaughtering millions on screen, without showing a bit of blood is so damn uncomfortable to watch. PG-13 has gone bonkers.

18 hours ago, Jon AS said:

'Dice' is already the plural form, the singular being 'die'. Sorry, but that was just driving me crazy.;)

Woops, I'll change that straight away ;) 

19 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Oh, okay ! Thanks for the info ! 

I have learned something today ! ^^

It's probably very difficult for the actors to say with a straight face that Will's ears are smaller than usual elven ears, when in fact they are no different from the ears of the any other elf in the show.

And I simply can't stand when the characters are teleporting all over the place. It bothered me in GoT, it bothered me in the Hobbit movies but here it simply destroys the whole atmosphere for me. 

I have to agree about their world building.  I have read all of the Shannara books and even I am confused on where everything is.  On that note, did the creators have to sell the "post apocalyptic" aspect of the show to get funded, cause holy hell they will not let the old world crap die.

The one thing that actually pissed me off was the elf hunter chick had a knife that was straight out of a Rambo movie.  Like, I think I actually own that knife in my collection.  Why not have a more fantasy appealing dagger?

I am getting more irritated by the fact that Bennett hasn't thrown some Druid fire yet.

I guess I'm the last of the Mohicans on this thread, but I watched the last episode today. It's bad, like really bad. Syphilis is dead. Ethiopia and Amberle time as BFF's might be over. Will almost scored with the Elven princess, but he was cockblocked by Syphilis, the experienced rover guy who wasn't even smart enough to avoid one of the most obvious traps ever.  The whole town they stayed was boring as fuck. This show is such a fucking mess. And we didn't even get a good creature battle out it. Those stupid trolls were boring and where the fuck did they get all those gasmasks from? Oh, and Uncle Incest and the Undefeated Druid were also in there. Just boring as fuck. 

33 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I guess I'm the last of the Mohicans on this thread, but I watched the last episode today. It's bad, like really bad. Syphilis is dead. Ethiopia and Amberle time as BFF's might be over. Will almost scored with the Elven princess, but he was cockblocked by Syphilis, the experienced rover guy who wasn't even smart enough to avoid one of the most obvious traps ever.  The whole town they stayed was boring as fuck. This show is such a fucking mess. And we didn't even get a good creature battle out it. Those stupid trolls were boring and where the fuck did they get all those gasmasks from? Oh, and Uncle Incest and the Undefeated Druid were also in there. Just boring as fuck. 

I'm still watching :)

46 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Come on... How will you know what's good if you don't see the bad? Or that is what I have told my friends when niece dragged me to Twilight movies :)

I have to say, MVP for the worst actor goes to Uncle "I don't want to be a King"... It was pathetic... 

The more I watch this show, the more I understand how important a good director is, one who can look at a scene and understand why it's implausible and think of a solution.... and the more I realize how few decent writers there are.

So much of what's wrong with this show --in theory-- should be easy to fix.... but the first step would be for a showrunner to recognize the flaws.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I guess I'm the last of the Mohicans on this thread, but I watched the last episode today.

I watched it, too. In the sense that I switched it on and then proceeded to do other things while it was running in the background. I'm sure I missed lots of terribly subtle details, but I think I got the gist of it. We got another capture/escape and everybody is still a moron.

One thing that registered was Will giving Ethiopia shit for going to a party while they were looking for her when he was perfectly willing to take a break from the search if it meant scoring with Amberle.

Also: heredetary monarchy is bad, Slade. Why are you not only supporting it, but encouraging a guy who's clearly not suited for the job to take it? Are you secretly evil after all?

8 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I'm still watching :)

Great to see that I'm not the only one with too much time on my hands :P We should all be ashamed of ourselves :P 

8 hours ago, Risto said:

Come on... How will you know what's good if you don't see the bad? Or that is what I have told my friends when niece dragged me to Twilight movies :)

I have to say, MVP for the worst actor goes to Uncle "I don't want to be a King"... It was pathetic... 

His name is Uncle Incest Risto :P You should have learned that by now :P And yes, he was awful.

7 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

The more I watch this show, the more I understand how important a good director is, one who can look at a scene and understand why it's implausible and think of a solution.... and the more I realize how few decent writers there are.

So much of what's wrong with this show --in theory-- should be easy to fix.... but the first step would be for a showrunner to recognize the flaws.

I wonder if it will get a second season? Like, is it doing well in its target demo's?

2 hours ago, Jon AS said:

One thing that registered was Will giving Ethiopia shit for going to a party while they were looking for her when he was perfectly willing to take a break from the search if it meant scoring with Amberle.

Can you really blame him though? :P 

2 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Also: heredetary monarchy is bad, Slade. Why are you not only supporting it, but encouraging a guy who's clearly not suited for the job to take it? Are you secretly evil after all?

Crixus would have never stood for this. That guy was a revolutionary at the end! I would really respect this show if it said fuck the king and installed a democracy or something like it. From what we've seen from the show, the Elven kingdom is absolute monarchy at its worst. 

Just now, Veltigar said:

His name is Uncle Incest Risto :P You should have learned that by now :P And yes, he was awful.

Don't get it, sorry :)

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

I wonder if it will get a second season? Like, is it doing well in its target demo's?

Well, the ratings are below one million. Have no idea what it means for MTV. 

21 minutes ago, Risto said:

Don't get it, sorry :)

I'm going to let that one slide because you warned me for the cows! :P

22 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, the ratings are below one million. Have no idea what it means for MTV. 

Can anyone shed a light? Come on, any faithful MTV watchers on here? ;) 

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

I'm going to let that one slide because you warned me for the cows! :P

Thank you :)

And do we really expect someone to come out as MTV watcher :)

ETA: Says he, who watches this every week :)

43 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I don't know anything about MTV's numbers or expectations and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched the channel in about 15 years (nowadays its German incarnation is a premium cable channel anyway), but here is a general overview of the ratings so far. It hasn't actually lost that many viewers, but the numbers seem pretty low to begin with.

Of course, maybe it's doing really well internationally on Amazon Prime or whatever other streaming services it's available on, so that might save it.

46 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Ok, I need to ask, why "Uncle Incest"? :P

I don't get it.

It's a reference to his interactions with Amberle. I think it took my reading comments on the net to realise that the two of them were supposed to be uncle and niece, not a potential couple.

Archived