Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

13 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I'm still watching :)

Me too, but not with a lot of interest. I don't like starting a tv show and not finishing it, but the only thing keeping me in is Crixus the Manus who we don't see enough of, Eretria's ass who we don't see enough of, and the expectation that with so much money spent in the vfx, MAYBE it lead to a good battle somewhere, but probably not.

And yeah, what the hell is up with one of the best Rover around, falling in a debutant trap like that. And again. the elve chick playing the ''we will do the dumb thing and listen to you but we will kill you if you're untrustworthy'' even though he showed you a gazillion times that he would screw you over at first chance. And Mongrel boy about to do the princess but is pissed at Eretria for getting kidnapped and ending up having fun ? Yeah sure...

Well, this looks to be mTV's 2nd most popular show behind Teen Wolf which is in season 5; based on that solely I'd say they are looking at this like a success.  I don't think they really care that we wince, groan and close our eyes through half the episodes as long as we see the episodes.

Scream and Faking It rank below Shannara for ratings and are both renewed for next season.

I like it, but mostly cause it's terrible and the cheese works for me. I don't pay much attention but it does entertain me and my gf. I don't think too hard about the terribleness of it though since it's so incredibly bad. But at least it has Crixus.

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Can anyone shed a light? Come on, any faithful MTV watchers on here? ;) 

I'm an MTV watcher (this, Teen Wolf, the Challenge, faking it, Scream and Finding Carter), but I have no idea what those other shows numbers are like to say how this is compared.

I've given up on hoping for it to be anything like the book.  They took some of the plot and some of the characters and did their own thing with it.  It isn't the best show on TV, but the people in it are pretty and I am mildly entertained for a bit, so I will stay through at least this season.

Ok, I wasn't sure until this last episode but it's clear. 3000 years since human civilization fell, yet the English language survived intact. Awesome.

And I love how shit just happens. Stand here, a light comes on. Go there, stuff comes out of the ground. And Eretria, one episode a mysterious guy tells her she is the vessel, next episode, BOOM, destiny fulfilled, and maybe she is dead, I don't know. Also, funny how in the last episode with the "modern" humans, this girl who was a slave and a rover her whole life just went full sensual dance mode on club music.

But... I'm here for the full season ride. Lets see what they do with the battle in the finale.

Underwhelming, as expected.  An another case of the characters teleporting to where the story needed them to be despite the great distances involved.

Book spoiler:

Spoiler

I guess they thought having Perk the Wing Rider take them back to Arborlon like in the book would be too similar to Lord of the Rings with the Eagles.

So I guess Bandar is now a Mord Wraith.

And the series will not actually do any more plotlines from the books but just make up its own plot with more adventures of Wil and Eritrea.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Underwhelming, as expected.  An another case of the characters teleporting to where the story needed them to be despite the great distances involved.

Book spoiler:

Hide contents

I guess they thought having Perk the Wing Rider take them back to Arborlon like in the book would be too similar to Lord of the Rings with the Eagles.

So I guess Bandar is now a Mord Wraith.

And the series will not actually do any more plotlines from the books but just make up its own plot with more adventures of Wil and Eritrea.

Yeah, I just...just small things that were stupid in addition to the dumpster fire it has been.  At least if they are no longer following the books then it will be just a dumpster fire and not a disappointing adaption turned into one.

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The moment I saw how quickly they were getting back, I realized that this whole Bloodfire quest had been massive Skyrim dungeon crawl, with the way back being a secret, quick path that could be taken only once the main goal was achieved. :P

Well, not much else to say. Possibly the worst show I've seen in 2016 so far, though Supergirl is a strong contender. 

I came, I saw, I'm outta here.

So that predictably ended up being something between underwhelming and terrible. I guess I can count it as a plus that the person escaping capture and the person being captured were two different people this time. That's quite a twist by this show's standard.

What's with the speculation about another season? Has it been renewed? Because if so I've got to pitch some ideas to MTV, they'll clearly shell out money for anything.

--It took 5 episodes to get to San Francisco.... and 5 minutes to get back....lol

--"Hey... our city is being invaded by demons who are killing everyone, but lets take a quick sex break.... and then spoon for a while"

-- I blame Varo's wife for all future evil

-- I can't believe we got Amber-tree... I thought for sure it would have been Era-tree-a ...Then again, her bark is worse than her bite... it's time Wil branched out anyway... put down roots...  But you know what they say, Tree's a crowd ....

I had my share of doubts and misgivings about this show, but not in my wildest dreams I thought it was going to be as bad as it was. Only reason to watch all 10 eps: Manu Bennett. 

12 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

THAT's why she looked familiar... I'm usually really good with making actor connections between shows (used to drive my wife crazy, but now she plays the game too). Thanks. :)

13 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

--It took 5 episodes to get to San Francisco.... and 5 minutes to get back....lol

--"Hey... our city is being invaded by demons who are killing everyone, but lets take a quick sex break.... and then spoon for a while"

-- I can't believe we got Amber-tree... I thought for sure it would have been Era-tree-a ...Then again, her bark is worse than her bite... it's time Wil branched out anyway... put down roots...  But you know what they say, Tree's a crowd ....

I'd have been really surprised if they had switched it so that Eretria was the seed.  What I found funny was the thought after they had sex - did they just ruin the chance to save the tree?

Though with how he was with his two companions - I don't think he would have believed Tree's a crowd.

Bennett has been the highlight of this, but him having to be All Batman Voice All The Time got annoying as well.

I mean, the mere fact that druid knew that Amberly was supposed to be tree and that there was no obvious reason for her to go to Bloodfire and Savehaven (All glory to San Francisco) thus potentially saving thousands of lives is beyond me. Like seriously, WTF?

25 minutes ago, Risto said:

I mean, the mere fact that druid knew that Amberly was supposed to be tree and that there was no obvious reason for her to go to Bloodfire and Savehaven (All glory to San Francisco) thus potentially saving thousands of lives is beyond me. Like seriously, WTF?

I think that was just their obtuse writing.  Amberle was the seed, but there was also an actual seed that she'd merge with (I guess), and both needed to be quickened in the Bloodfire.

46 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think that was just their obtuse writing.  Amberle was the seed, but there was also an actual seed that she'd merge with (I guess), and both needed to be quickened in the Bloodfire.

So, she was a seed who was carrying the other seed so they could be seed-merged and then the one seed would travel back to be seeded. God, this is amazing. It keeps getting better and better :) 

17 minutes ago, Risto said:

So, she was a seed who was carrying the other seed so they could be seed-merged and then the one seed would travel back to be seeded. God, this is amazing. It keeps getting better and better :) 

I read the books a zillion yrs ago, and although I don't remember much I think the original plot was the same regarding Amberle and the one seed to rule them all or whatever. Everything else feels very different, though. Iirc, there was no hot teen sex, Will had a momentary infatuation with Amberle but the rover girl was his real love interest. I also don't remember anything specific about The Four Lands being some post-apocalyptic Earth. I *think* later books got into that a bit more, but I could be wrong. I read these when I was 12 or so, so a really long time ago. Looking back, the books weren't awesome but fun enough to read; the show is almost painful to watch. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

I read the books a zillion yrs ago, and although I don't remember much I think the original plot was the same regarding Amberle and the one seed to rule them all or whatever. Everything else feels very different, though. Iirc, there was no hot teen sex, Will had a momentary infatuation with Amberle but the rover girl was his real love interest. I also don't remember anything specific about The Four Lands being some post-apocalyptic Earth. I *think* later books got into that a bit more, but I could be wrong. I read these when I was 12 or so, so a really long time ago. Looking back, the books weren't awesome but fun enough to read; the show is almost painful to watch. 

I have never read them. I mean, I know that "books are always better", but this simply isn't the story I am interested in. Even without MTV cheesy factor, the story wasn't as interesting as I originally thought it would be. 

3 minutes ago, Risto said:

I have never read them. I mean, I know that "books are always better", but this simply isn't the story I am interested in. Even without MTV cheesy factor, the story wasn't as interesting as I originally thought it would be. 

It was a fun read for a 12-yr-old. Now? Nah, I wouldn't bother.

ETA - yeah, Martin is right, the books are always better. In this case, as formulaic as the books are, they are a gazillion times better, but b/c the show is really awful. :)

Archived