Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

Was that ("Graymark") actually a good episode?  I wasn't really paying attention, but I think it was...  

Am I actually shipping Wil and Eretria as a couple this season too?  What is happening?  If only he'd stop pining for his ex.  Maybe I'm just enjoying Eretria dying inside every time Wil mentions Amb, and Eretria then not showing jealousy (for now).  I'm not too familiar with CW-type-show tropes, is that one?  Perhaps I'm just saying she's a good actress despite the material.  That's it -- let's go with that.

ETA:  So this episode basically is the plot to A New Hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely wedding.  A bit,

Spoiler

red,

shall we say?

Also, I only know the name not the novel but making Eretria one of

Spoiler

the descendents of Armageddon's Children seems like a cool connection to Brook's prequel series.  Probably directly descended from a character named Angel Perez.

On 26/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Was that ("Graymark") actually a good episode?  I wasn't really paying attention, but I think it was...  

Nope. I wasn't planning to watch Season 2 but my TV box remembered from last year and recorded the first few episodes, so I thought I'd give them a watch.

Somehow Season 2 is a lot worse than Season 1. I am genuinely impressed. Maybe it's a combination of the lack of John-Rhys Davies and the new evil general dude being possibly the worst actor to walk on screen in at least the last decade?

Manu Bennett and Ivana Baquero are doing a lot of the heavy lifting on this show on the acting front, it has to be said (even if Baquero seems to be saddled with lesbian titillation scenes for want of actual character development). Absolutely everyone else is terrible.

8 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Am I alone in finding it perfectly watchable? It's not exactly high-quality, but it is serviceable candyfloss. 

Nope... this is exactly how how I feel too... I have different expectations for different shows... I went into Westworld with a more strict predilection that I did with Ash vs Evil Dead....  and the SC is pretty much what i expected it to be... will it ever make my top ten?... not even close... but can I enjoy it as part of my weekly rotation?... easily. 

It's interesting how people's mileages vary. Shannara's problem isn't that it's simple cheesy but fun fare. So is something like The 100, which like Shannara is post-apocalyptic and has a ridiculously photogenic cast. It's also based on a (albeit far more obscure and less well-known) novel series which it's pretty much completely departed from five minutes into the first episode. But The 100 has a far better cast of stronger actors (and not just the relatively well-known refugees from BSG and Lost), the story is much more coherent (although still cheesy with somewhat inconsistent worldbuilding) and it's not scared to kill off characters when the story puts them in insanely dangerous positions. Shannara is simply bad: the writing is poor, the acting (apart from those two honourable exceptions) is risible and there's no real emotional investment in anything that's going on. It's veering heavily towards the Legend of the Seeker end of the quality table at the moment.

It could be worse, though. It's light years ahead of The Magicians in quality, at least.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

It could be worse, though. It's light years ahead of The Magicians in quality, at least.

Wert, I drink almost all your posts as the graal, but you always lose me on The Magicians. I really don't understand your hate for the show. It's the best show that ever went to SyFy since BSG. It's just... so amazing I don't have words for it. And the fact that you didn't give it a chance really saddens me. You issue with the characters at the start of the show, I can understand, but you should give them a chance to grow on you. They're actually wonderfully written throughout the show.

But I agree that The Shannara Chronicles is much more akin to Legend of the Seeker than The 100, that goes without saying. The 100 is leagues ahead and a great drama on its own, despite the teen show style at first and some problems each season. On the other hand, I would still watch TSC anytime over LS simply because it's completely serialized. There is no additional cheesiness associated with the weekly adventure. And the story, even though laughable, is enough of a drive to go on.

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I believe The Expanse wants to have a word.

The Expanse is far from giving me as much satisfaction while watching it. The main problem of the show is that it's just too slow and bloated with unnecessary filler. Still great, but not as great as it could have been.

• 2 weeks later...

Why no King of the Silver River or whatever his name was (Tom Bomdadil stand-in though he is)? 

Spoilers from what I read from the wiki regarding the Dark Legacy of Shannara books:

Spoiler

Wil stuck in the Forbidding... I assume the writers are going to pile on the basic story of any Ohmsford from the books onto Wil's shoulders, so looks like next season would be Wil finding the other four sets of Elfstones, as his descendent Redden did, particularly the crimson stones.

On 11/11/2017 at 0:21 AM, Werthead said:

It's interesting how people's mileages vary. Shannara's problem isn't that it's simple cheesy but fun fare. So is something like The 100, which like Shannara is post-apocalyptic and has a ridiculously photogenic cast. It's also based on a (albeit far more obscure and less well-known) novel series which it's pretty much completely departed from five minutes into the first episode. But The 100 has a far better cast of stronger actors (and not just the relatively well-known refugees from BSG and Lost), the story is much more coherent (although still cheesy with somewhat inconsistent worldbuilding) and it's not scared to kill off characters when the story puts them in insanely dangerous positions. Shannara is simply bad: the writing is poor, the acting (apart from those two honourable exceptions) is risible and there's no real emotional investment in anything that's going on. It's veering heavily towards the Legend of the Seeker end of the quality table at the moment.

The 100 is simply light years and light years ahead of Shannara. I mean Shannara Chronicles is like...okay??? The 100 is genuinely great TV. 

On 11/10/2017 at 5:21 PM, Werthead said:

I kind of fondly remember Legend of the Seeker. I'd turn it on Saturday nights--it was back when my son was sick, so I didn't go out much, and while it was on, I'd play video games and 12 percent pay attention to the awful show. I don't know why. I just liked having it on in the background.

In regards to Shannara being a flawed, yet fun show to watch... The show I draw a parallel to is Shadowhunters... both are Y.A.... filled with way-too-attractive people with swords who conjure magic a-la-carte as long as it moves the plot forward... it often doesn't make much sense... the bad logic and horrible decisions are laughable... but in the end its light fare entertainment that appeals to my sense of nerdity... So at 10 P.M. on Wednesdays,  I watch this, *and* Mr. Robot... for completely different reasons.

Magicians creates tension and stakes that I don't feel from Shannara.  If you accept a pot smoking creator deity as the source, the resulting world becomes surprisingly plausible.   

Seeker and now Shannara both have great brunettes for 9 minutes or so each week,  fisticuffs of fun , and just enough magic theory content to feel like you're getting your fix.  The rest of the oh- so- important talky-talk content is silly and to be forgotten as soon as possible.   But I do like the effort they put into it.  They're serious so we can giggle.  The sets, the politics of species, the inter- species humping.   I don't buy into a nuclear meltdown causing elves and gnomes , but whatever.

OK. let we clear something up right now. Legend of the Seeker was a masterpiece and you are all wrong for not seeing that :D

Honestly, I can't enjoy in Chronicles as much as I have enjoyed in the Seeker. I loved the aesthetics of that show and even though the acting was,  WAS NOT that good, they did a good job in selling some things. I loved it and was saddened when it was cancelled. If Shannara gets cancelled, I honestly wouldn't mind if this gets axed.

I am on episode 5 now. And it is same old, same old...

That said. it is OK. It is watchable. It is not some good TV product, butI expect nothing, and I get nothing :D

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Now that that's off the books, y'all should hunt down a little single season (AFAIK) web series called AFK.

Looks like Shannara had their same budget. 

Ok. Snarky exaggeration. But not in the costume department. :)

Archived