What role will the faith militant play in ths rest of the series?

Darkbringer

The sparrows are clearly here to stay for the foreseeable future. The question is, who will they side with? Tommen? Aegon? Dany? Lets look at the situation as it is, and the possibilities.

1. They will never back any candidate for the IT that doesn't worship the seven (obviously). This rules out: Most northerners, Stannis, Ironborn, some of the Dornish, and Dany, if she becomes a Rhillor girl through Moquorro.

2. Cersei is gonna be pissed. Real pissed. They have completely deconstructed her public image in the most humiliating way possible. Enemy for life? I think so. Assuming she survives her trial by combat.

3. What would the faith do if somehow it was proven that Tommen and Myrcella are abominations? Depose them? Install a Tyrell? Back Aegon? Which leader has shown the most devotion to the Seven? Or is easier to control?

4. The Quiet Isle. Can we agree that the Houmd is the Gravedigger? Will he come out to fight unGregor? I hope not, I am happy to leave him there. Also, when the Elder Brother speaks about 'waitin for the last ruby' my spidey senses went crazy. Something very important is going to happen on, or come out of, the QI, but what? I have no idea.

Thoughts? Theories? Gut feelings? Crackpots?

They are in charge so to speak as long as everybody has their armies away from the city.

They might just think Aegon is looking good.

Would be a gamble though, they might have to hold a seige or something if Aegon was to be defeated.

Their army isn't all that great at the moment but its gaining strength

Yeah hard to say how many of them there are, is there any quotes to give us an idea? That idiot Mace Tyrell may well try to prevent or influence Marge's trial with his army. If he does that, I think that the Faith will back Aegon (who had extensive training from a septa if we believe Varys).

I believe they're there to provide a quicker way for (f)Aegon to rise to the throne. No time for another Blackwater.

Tywin took KG by treachery, Stannis failed... I believe (f)Aegon will be let in by the High Sparrow.

The huge Tyrell army is a problem for Aegon, though, I'm curious as to how it will work out. Though it's getting old, if Tommen dies and the Tyrells try to marry her to Aegon it would be hilarious.

I believe they're there to provide a quicker way for (f)Aegon to rise to the throne. No time for another Blackwater.

Tywin took KG by treachery, Stannis failed... I believe (f)Aegon will be let in by the High Sparrow.

The huge Tyrell army is a problem for Aegon, though, I'm curious as to how it will work out. Though it's getting old, if Tommen dies and the Tyrells try to marry her to Aegon it would be hilarious.

Yeah the Tyrell numbers are huge. Pretty risky for southern lords to attack the faith, however. I think that Eurons mad attack on Oldtown will draw off a good portion of Tyrell strength, maybe enough for Martell/GC/Sparrow alliance to steal a win. Still have Lannister troops to deal with though...

Yeah hard to say how many of them there are, is there any quotes to give us an idea? That idiot Mace Tyrell may well try to prevent or influence Marge's trial with his army. If he does that, I think that the Faith will back Aegon (who had extensive training from a septa if we believe Varys).

From memory I get the idea they aren't much more than a ragtag bunch as of now, I think some minor Lords have thrown in with them so that would give them at least a few trained soldiers.

:agree:

Varys says that he couldn't let Kevan bind the Faith to Tommen, so he's pushing for Aegon. And the Tyrells' army may outnumber the Faith's, but Euron's possible attack on Oldtown could cause some Reach lords to jump ship, like Randyll, who conveniently volunteered to have the custody of Margaery and her cousins before the trial

:agree:

Varys says that he couldn't let Kevan bind the Faith to Tommen, so he's pushing for Aegon. And the Tyrells' army may outnumber the Faith's, but Euron's possible attack on Oldtown could cause some Reach lords to jump ship, like Randyll, who conveniently volunteered to have the custody of Margaery and her cousins before the trial

Wow Randyll Tarly as a turn cloak! I hadn't thought of that. My first reaction is that he's too much of a hard nosed, pridefull sonofabitch for that, but I guess he was a supporter of the Targs originally.

I have a feeling that cersei will possibly take the faith head on... no evidence to back up that claim, but cersei isn't one to forget such a shaming insult.

I'm not sure whether Lannister forces will be willing to follow her into battle though. if they are she will waste what little of it was left on trying to take out the faith. tyrells will be busy with euron but i still think they will have enough people to spare to take on the lannisters if they side with aegon. but the only way they will side with aegon is if tommen dies. the faith will probably side with aegon.

The faith although not an army of trained individuals, has a very populist appeal and the fact that anyone can join means that cersei is going to have a tough time taking them on. even if she doesn't wipe the whole movement out, i believe she'll do an aerys and burn down the sept of baelor with wildfire. she'll cut the head off but the movement will be even stronger and will actually get a martyr in the high sparrow (assuming he doesn't get out in time). I think varys might actually help the faith out in return for support for aegon.

Though it's getting old, if Tommen dies and the Tyrells try to marry her to Aegon it would be hilarious.

Margaery is what, seventeen years old and has been married to three kings? Tyrells are pretty desperate...

Still have Lannister troops to deal with though...

Lannisters don't really have power now. All troops they have left were seen in siege of Riverrun. Most of Tywin's host probably disbanded during AFfC.

I have a feeling that cersei will possibly take the faith head on... no evidence to back up that claim, but cersei isn't one to forget such a shaming insult.

I'm not sure whether Lannister forces will be willing to follow her into battle though. if they are she will waste what little of it was left on trying to take out the faith. tyrells will be busy with euron but i still think they will have enough people to spare to take on the lannisters if they side with aegon. but the only way they will side with aegon is if tommen dies. the faith will probably side with aegon.

The faith although not an army of trained individuals, has a very populist appeal and the fact that anyone can join means that cersei is going to have a tough time taking them on. even if she doesn't wipe the whole movement out, i believe she'll do an aerys and burn down the sept of baelor with wildfire. she'll cut the head off but the movement will be even stronger and will actually get a martyr in the high sparrow (assuming he doesn't get out in time). I think varys might actually help the faith out in return for support for aegon.

Yeah if the Martells join Aegon, then I think the Tyrells will probably oppose them. In that case they would probably end up with the sparrows joining Aegon.

Margaery is what, seventeen years old and has been married to three kings? Tyrells are pretty desperate...

Lannisters don't really have power now. All troops they have left were seen in siege of Riverrun. Most of Tywin's host probably disbanded during AFfC.

Yeah the Lannisters are down a few, but together the Lannisters and Tyrells could smash any one of Dorne, Golden Company, Faith Militant or the Vale. Lannisters don't have any decent generals left, but the Tyrells still got Tarly, probably the best general in the south ATM. There would need to be an alliance to defeat the IT.

Yeah the Lannisters are down a few, but together the Lannisters and Tyrells could smash any one of Dorne, Golden Company, Faith Militant or the Vale. Lannisters don't have any decent generals left, but the Tyrells still got Tarly, probably the best general in the south ATM. There would need to be an alliance to defeat the IT.

Actually that's not true. They've got Daven Lannister, Addam Marbrand and Jon Prester (?) who seems to be pretty competent.

Actually that's not true. They've got Daven Lannister, Addam Marbrand and Jon Prester (?) who seems to be pretty competent.

Daven made a total pig's arse of the siege of Riverrun. The seige was disorganised, the troops at each others throats, basically he was lucky Jamie showed up. And Jamie may be gone now too, wherever Brienne takes him. Face it, the Lannisters will be screwed if Cersei drives the Tyrells away.

Daven made a total pig's arse of the siege of Riverrun. The seige was disorganised, the troops at each others throats, basically he was lucky Jamie showed up. And Jamie may be gone now too, wherever Brienne takes him. Face it, the Lannisters will be screwed if Cersei drives the Tyrells away.

Totally agree about the Lannisters without the Tyrells. But it won't be because they don't have anyone who can lead the troops but due to other reasons. Unless the Lannister ally themselves with another pretender to the throne, should Tommen fall.

Don't bet on it. The Red God is not the god of the Andals nor the First Men.

So was Faith was Seven. It is not indigenous to Westeros. It was introduced by Andals. Several First Men accepted that, I don't see much problem with r'hllor aside from burning people. Moqorro, Thoros and Mel FTW.

Archived