Big Bang Theory 6: The Suffering of Being Unable to Love

Datepalm

This last episode was great. :thumbsup:

I thought the beginning with

"I am feeling the urge to hug you.

Three ... two ... gone."

was really horrid, and somewhere in the middle of the train journey, I was asking myself more than ever before why Amy does not leave him for good. But then the ending was really cute.

And as has been said, a big step for Sheldon.

Is anybody wondering if they mean to take the Raj/vet storyline further? Poor Cinammon if he is going to use her from now on to visit the vet!

A shallow comment: I really really like Bernadette's dress.

And I think I've finally nailed one of the things that mightily bugs me with the show these last seasons.

Amy was introduced as basically a male version of Sheldon. Instead, these geniuses managed to turn her into a needy weak woman that needs the comfort of a man and is so pitiful she sticks to an oaf like Sheldon.

That's quite an awful bastardization of what we could've hoped for at first - not necessarily a copy of Sheldon, but at least a female character who wouldn't give a damn about romantic relationship, sex, and all the usual cliches of sitcom. Instead, it looks like they're trying to turn TBBT into some weird rom-com.

I wouldn't have as much issue with Amy's character, had she not been introduced with such awesome potential. (I would still have a lot of issues with how they stupidly try to "develop" the show, which just doesn't need development since it's not BSG or HIMYM, with a beginning and an end)

Oh no, you've got it all wrong. Amy is not a needy weak woman that needs the comfort of a man--Amy is Arthur and Sheldon is the Sword in the Stone, she is trying to seize her destiny and unsheath that sword from it's stony, frozen prison.

;)

Oh no, you've got it all wrong. Amy is not a needy weak woman that needs the comfort of a man--Amy is Arthur and Sheldon is the Sword in the Stone, she is trying to seize her destiny and unsheath that sword from it's stony, frozen prison.

;)

Nah, I'm pretty sure that she is trying to sheathe that sword. Almost positive.

I liked the episode. It showed off a lot of character growth.It was nice to see Raj interact with a lady in a fairly normal way. (Normal for Raj at least). It was nice to see Penny make at least a small effort on Valentine's day, at least she bought the flowers! It was also nice to see Lenard not go completely over the top. Howard and Bernadette where likewise great in this episode.

But of course Amy and Sheldon where the stars. It was nice to see so much emotion from Sheldon in one episode. He gets genuinely mad, and then he seems to have his most tender. Amy for a lot of reasons seems determined to stick this relationship out. It's nice to see her making headway! I might have squeed a bit when he leaned in/ :love:

I liked the episode. It showed off a lot of character growth.It was nice to see Raj interact with a lady in a fairly normal way. (Normal for Raj at least).

Yeah, but it was Alex Rousseau. You know Ben Linus is lurking around somewhere, about to mess up Raj's life. He'll be in Room 23 be season's end.

Yeah, but it was Alex Rousseau. You know Ben Linus is lurking around somewhere, about to mess up Raj's life. He'll be in Room 23 be season's end.

Come to think of it, BBT/Person of Interest would a good crossover. A lot of solid thematic stuff there.

Datepalm, on 07 Feb 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:
But he did drop the shockingly - for Sheldon - sensual detail that her lips tasted like brownies...

And yeah, I definitely cheered a bit when he stepped into the kiss, but I don't think it would ever have gone to him kissing Amy and hating it. I mean, the whole thing does labour under the assumption he's got the more-or-less usual capacity for this kind of thing, he's just messed up, repressed and adolescent about it, not actually inherently and changelessly averse, deep down. There have been other times when he's participated in stuff, but always hedged it - she hugs him and he says he hates it, but tells her not to stop, that kind of thing. This one was honest. I doubt it's smooth sailing from here on for them, but this did feel like a breakthrough.
I agree that it was a good detail to give, but from him I'm not sure I could categorize that as sensual or him providing data.
Yes, this was definitely a breakthrough - I think it starts to show the meeting in the middle a relationship has to have. While Amy has tried to share experiences in the past, this one finally gets through to Sheldon that part of being together is that it is mutual and shared. Her going with him at the end shows that for both of them. Now, while it was a little chuckle, I would have liked to have seen Sheldon stop the UPS guy from following at the end - make this trip forward just for he and Amy.

Datepalm, on 07 Feb 2014 - 2:09 PM, said:
Do you hate Rachel or Ross? I finally watched the last season of Friends a while back, and she totally should have gone to Paris and dumped his ass. Growing past him should totally have been her arc. For Amy...dunno. I do kind of want Sheldon to come through for her, because they do have this...you know, something, weird, unique connection that they - particularly Sheldon - are very bad at turning into a more satisfying romance. With Ross/Rachel I just thought it was him pining after Rachel because of stupid highschool revenge-of-the-nerds fantasies and her panicking.
I can't stand Ross, couldn't from the first episodes all the way through. I enjoyed the show and the other characters enough to overcome him, but I really disliked Ross all the way through. Completely agree - her arc should have been left at the altar to begin the series, goes on her own to end.
For Amy and Sheldon, yeah, I would like to see them together in the end - I just have a VERY difficult time getting over the "but really, WHY are they friends with him" after the way he has treated them and things he has done over the past.

I agree that it was a good detail to give, but from him I'm not sure I could categorize that as sensual or him providing data.

I'm sure he thinks it's a dry piece of data, but that doesn't make it so - any number of other bits of trivia that could have been on his mind, but the one that was is how her lips tasted. :wub: It's the fun thing about the character - he's so totally lacking in this stuff usually that little things really stand out.

I can't stand Ross, couldn't from the first episodes all the way through. I enjoyed the show and other characters enough to overcome him, but I really disliked Ross all the way through. Completely agree - her arc should have been left at the altar to begin the series, goes on her own to end.

Watching as an adult now, I can see what an insufferable whiny pain Ross is, and how much the show contorts itself to accommodate him and somehow convince us that he's at all a good idea for Rachel - at least in the later seasons. I can't remember if he's that bad at the beginning too, or if I was more tolerant when I watched that stuff when I was 13. (Even then, Chandler and Monica always struck me as the warmest, most romantic ones of that show - these two neurotic basketcases that calm each other down a little. They did a lot to redeem the Ross/Rachel awfulness.) And Rachel should have gone - I think that's part of why I kind of want to see Leonard and Penny split up, even though they're miles more sympathetic than Ross/Rachel - I just want to see a will-they-won't-they arc that actually has the guts to end on a definitive won't.

For Amy and Sheldon, yeah, I would like to see them together in the end - I just have a VERY difficult time getting over the "but really, WHY are they friends with him" after the way he has treated them and things he has done over the past.

True, but i've always had a soft spot for him and Amy (I find Sheldon vis Leonard or even Howard more troubling, I guess.) They're like Chandler and Monica dialed up to 11. I just have this weird sense of compassion/pity for them together, even when they're being terrible to one another. Plus, when Amy was first introduced, and was even more awkward and obnoxious than he way, it was really Sheldon bringing out a nicer side in her...

There was just a streak of fantastic Sheldon/Amy moments at the end of season 4/ beginning of 5 that kind of made me ship them to the death and get through all the nastier stuff until the end of season 6. The episode where she kisses him, which was this great, melancholy mix of selfishness and generosity from her ("an honest kiss, a little kindness" ;) ) their desperately awkward cuddle episode (whoever came up with the idea for that bit of physical comedy, hats off to them. They're both just so...broken there) and then the tiara episode...probably a bunch more i'm forgetting. It just all hit this wonderfully weird, sad, awkward note, and such an unlikely one for a romance and for a sitcom, that I was fascinated despite all common sense.

I thought this time was more in the spirit of tolerant mockery - not the nicest, perhaps, but still just teasing between friends - than the genuinely hurtful, 'you're pathetic and your robot is pathetic', stuff in the MONTE episode. (Which is still maybe my favorite of the whole show.)

I've started voicing the subtext when watching with my wife. After Penny speaks, there's two phrases which could logically be inserted so many times:

"...because we don't have any common interests"

"...because we don't respect each other."

The most recent ep was interesting though. The culmination of Amy/ Sheldon's relationship is so much more interesting than Leonard/ Penny. I'm rooting for those lovebirds.

I'm sure he thinks it's a dry piece of data, but that doesn't make it so - any number of other bits of trivia that could have been on his mind, but the one that was is how her lips tasted. :wub: It's the fun thing about the character - he's so totally lacking in this stuff usually that little things really stand out.

Watching as an adult now, I can see what an insufferable whiny pain Ross is, and how much the show contorts itself to accommodate him and somehow convince us that he's at all a good idea for Rachel - at least in the later seasons. I can't remember if he's that bad at the beginning too, or if I was more tolerant when I watched that stuff when I was 13. (Even then, Chandler and Monica always struck me as the warmest, most romantic ones of that show - these two neurotic basketcases that calm each other down a little. They did a lot to redeem the Ross/Rachel awfulness.) And Rachel should have gone - I think that's part of why I kind of want to see Leonard and Penny split up, even though they're miles more sympathetic than Ross/Rachel - I just want to see a will-they-won't-they arc that actually has the guts to end on a definitive won't.

True, but i've always had a soft spot for him and Amy (I find Sheldon vis Leonard or even Howard more troubling, I guess.) They're like Chandler and Monica dialed up to 11. I just have this weird sense of compassion/pity for them together, even when they're being terrible to one another. Plus, when Amy was first introduced, and was even more awkward and obnoxious than he way, it was really Sheldon bringing out a nicer side in her...

There was just a streak of fantastic Sheldon/Amy moments at the end of season 4/ beginning of 5 that kind of made me ship them to the death and get through all the nastier stuff until the end of season 6. The episode where she kisses him, which was this great, melancholy mix of selfishness and generosity from her ("an honest kiss, a little kindness" ;) ) their desperately awkward cuddle episode (whoever came up with the idea for that bit of physical comedy, hats off to them. They're both just so...broken there) and then the tiara episode...probably a bunch more i'm forgetting. It just all hit this wonderfully weird, sad, awkward note, and such an unlikely one for a romance and for a sitcom, that I was fascinated despite all common sense.

re: Brownies - rethought this, yeah - you're right. he could have gone in any different direction - like he had with the lip gloss earlier, but what came to mind for him was something...I don't know..."non functional".

I think the only "will they/won't they" that I remember ending in "won't" was The Wonder Years with the final voice over saying Kevin and Winnie remained friends but didn't end up together. I think this one because it is the central point of the show I'd rather see them together, but I think when we see Raj & Howard end up together and Bernadette divorces him.

The more I see Leonard and Penny together the more i wonder what they see in each other.

Well, for Penny she sees someone who actually cares about her as a person and not just the blonde hottie. For Leonard, however awkward it might be, he sees someone who doesn't completely get him but is trying to see who he really is beyond the geek. While the writing recently hasn't tried to show it, Penny does try to "improve" herself (taking classes, trying to understand phsyics more, etc) so that they have a better connection and Leonard has done the same.

I think the only "will they/won't they" that I remember ending in "won't" was The Wonder Years with the final voice over saying Kevin and Winnie remained friends but didn't end up together. I think this one because it is the central point of the show I'd rather see them together,

I think it could go either way. Like, if Sheldon and Amy don't end up together that would be disappointing, since that's been their particular tangent of significant character development for a long time, in a fairly linear way, neither of them has ever had another romantic interest, etc. Letting that fail I think would make a lot of the show seem pointless. Leonard and Penny though...for Leonard in particular pining-after-Penny is kind of his default state right from episode one. Getting-over-fantasy-blondes might be a perfectly coherent arc for him.

Well, for Penny she sees someone who actually cares about her as a person and not just the blonde hottie. For Leonard, however awkward it might be, he sees someone who doesn't completely get him but is trying to see who he really is beyond the geek. While the writing recently hasn't tried to show it, Penny does try to "improve" herself (taking classes, trying to understand phsyics more, etc) so that they have a better connection and Leonard has done the same.

Is she still in school? That plotline seems to have been dropped this season - can't recall a single mention of it. Maybe if the quitting waitressing thing ever comes to ahead and she has to make a decision about looking for work again or going to school full-time or something, if the acting doesn't pan out. (I will be really disappointed if it does, unless it's somehow terribly cleverly done.)

I think it could go either way. Like, if Sheldon and Amy don't end up together that would be disappointing, since that's been their particular tangent of significant character development for a long time, in a fairly linear way, neither of them has ever had another romantic interest, etc. Letting that fail I think would make a lot of the show seem pointless. Leonard and Penny though...for Leonard in particular pining-after-Penny is kind of his default state right from episode one. Getting-over-fantasy-blondes might be a perfectly coherent arc for him.

None of the other women that Leonard has been with have been blonde...Leslie Winkle, Priya, Doctor, Comic Book Girl, the Chinese Spy...maybe he's meant to be with a blonde...it's Penny's one characteristic that is consistent with his mother... :p

None of the other women that Leonard has been with have been blonde...Leslie Winkle, Priya, Doctor, Comic Book Girl, the Chinese Spy...maybe he's meant to be with a blonde...it's Penny's one characteristic that is consistent with his mother... :P

They do tend to gang up on him...

On rewatch (cheered during the kiss even knowing it was coming, somehow) you know who's horrible? Raj. When Yvette is just the vet, he's a funny, goofy guy who really loves his dog. When he realizes she's a potentially available woman, he becomes a blathering idiot with a terrible sense of humor who's first instinct is to poison his dog.

DP,

I'm am really embarrased to say that once upon a time I was similar to Raj. As soon as I romantically interested in a woman I lost the ability to interact with them normally. My conversation became stilted and awkward. It's stupid but it happened.

that's called "being male". ba dum ching.

Being nervous is one thing, he turns from what appears to be an intelligent, sort of balanced person into another person entirely - unhinged to the point of ludicrous. Did you ever think of poisoning someone so you could be the (for example) pre-law coed because she would be doing research on your case?

Archived