Big Bang Theory 6: The Suffering of Being Unable to Love

Datepalm

Pulled this nugget off of TVLine.com:

• Question: I hear something big happens between Sheldon and Amy in Big Bang‘s Valentine’s episode. Know anything? —Joyce
  • Ausiello: Molaro confirms that the slow-burn couple “have quite a moment” in the installment, which finds Sheldon/Amy and Howard/Bernadette enjoying a romantic double date on a train to nowhere. Elaborates fellow EP Bill Prady: “We keep dealing with the immovable object that is Sheldon and the irresistible force that is Amy, and inch-by-inch she moves things along.”

It doesn't completely remove the idea of some sorry of break up though...

You know, if they manage to hit that note of strangeness and vulnerability that they got with Sheldon and Amy and the D&D again, I might even forgive them for sappy lack-of-breakup.

I imagine that if there's anywhere Sheldon might be, er, seduced, it would be on a train...

that does lend to the "standing next to each other and accidentally kiss" theory if the train quickly stops.

Especially after seeing the episode last night - the scavenger hunt - that one showed that while Amy still is awkward about social situations, she does have traits that are attractive and other people find fun. I could see another Bert or someone being brought in and start to woo (woo) her away.

• 2 weeks later...

"Forget about your newborn child and think about the people that need you!"

I had such laugh when I read this comment...

OK, episode 14... Interestingly, with Datepalm's recent essay about consumer habits in nerd culture, we can analyze this episode rather nicely. First, I felt so empathic to the guys not going to Comic-con. TBH, as Con virgin, I don't get it, but I understand how important is it to them... And I like how Penny is introduced to the scene, and her line about sadness in 2 different ways... I imagine that there is a very subtle message in underline saying that no matter how trivial some things look to us, if they matter to someone, and if they are sad about losing it, then that's something to be respected...

Moving on to the dilemma right vs wrong... It was such delight to look guys not knowing what to do... There is a huge truth in the saying "ignorance is bliss", for when you don't think about the possible consequences, when your brain is not working like a Swiss clock, then breaking the rules is much easier.

Then, Sheldon and James Earl Jones (who btw, has the best voice of all times... He shares that honor with Christopher Lee)... I was so glad for Sheldon when Jones was all he expected, and I was even more amazed how all of that ended... It felt like Sheldon was finally accepted by someone he admires, and that is something I think is great. But, Sheldon wouldn't be Sheldon, if he would have enjoyed it to the last second... Interestingly, when he took of the "celebrity idealism mask" from JEJ, then he saw something he truly doesn't like... He saw an ordinary man who likes strip clubs, parties, socializing. In one way, Jones was Sheldon's kindest surprise and the worst nightmare... He was accepted by someone he idolized, and then the poor dear found out he doesn't like him that much...

It was relatively good episode, by far not the best, but good enough...

Sheldon being rendered mute with terror by no less than Darth Vader only for it to turn out all right was one of the funniest things in ages.

Everyone is failing to figure out how to be a grownup and just muddling through. Afternoon tea turns out to be immature, but so is afternoon drinking, whether you're a virgin, a wife or a slut. (Oh dear, Amy's hideous pink suit and tiara. Did that thing actually have shoulderpads?) Buying scalped tickets would be a rash decision, but standing around in the dark isn't exactly grown up either. Sheldon is as childish as ever (OMG, can anyone imagine him at a strip club? I can't.) but so is James Earl Jones. Rather sweet episode, actually.

How funny is it that this was aired just shortly after I watched the whole Star Wars series (yes, for the first time)? :P

I think the ending was quite predictable in that the boys would get a chance to attend the con in some "third" way. It was pretty obvious that they would not buy illegal tickets. :lol:

The highlights were the girls' scenes for me.

I'm really getting tired of Penny's schtick. Watching Thursday night's episode with my wife and I found myself yelling at the screen, "Shut up Penny! Nobody wants to hear your opinion."

#BringBackPria

And yeah, ComiCon tix are really hard to get. We're totally going to do that thing when they go on sale like they did in the episode.

If any characters should be brought back, it should be Leslie Winkle in my opinion. She was definitely my favourite out of Leonard's love interests. :laugh:

Her breaking up with him over a disagreement on quantum theory ("How will we raise the children, Leonard?") is still one of the funniest things the show has ever done.

She was (admittedly, hilariously) awful to Howard though.

I also like the artist chick that Leonard almost hooked up with while he was dating Penny. Aside from being all up on his jock, she also challenged him a bit.

And the doctor chick was cool too.

Pretty much anyone but Penny.

Leslie Winkle was awful. Sorry. She was just a horrible character.

As for the most recent episode, James Earl Jones was beyond awesome. That they took the whole trope and turned it on the ear with him having Sheldon tag along was awesome.

Will he be back with the guys at Comic Con? They don't know they've been invited! (Other than Sheldon.)

The stuff with the girls was very character developmental and I liked it a lot also. While I'm a little leary of done of Penny's shtick, I still prefer her over any other love interest Leonard.

Leslie Winkle was awful. Sorry. She was just a horrible character.

Horrible character or horrible person? I liked the humor she brought a lot, but she was borderline sociopathic. (I think she was probably a little too much like Sheldon - she took him, and the rivalry with him, far too seriously, which rather validated him, really. Most other characters just sort of step around his flights of crazy, which makes him both weaker and more interesting as a character.)

I wasn't crazy about the artist chick, because she just seemed like such wish-fulfillment material. Geeky and smart and talented and adventurous and crazy hot? (my god but she was hot.) What alternate universe did she even stumble in from?

I did really like the doctor though, and I have a soft spot for Priya, if for no other reason than she tortured Sheldon.

I don't remember the artist chick, unlessit was the one who gave Leonard her comic book? But I did actually like Leslie.

So anyway, I am still slowly catching up here, and due to Tivo, doing it way out of order. But I came in to chime in on something that has probably been discussed but is pissing me off anyway. What the hell did they do to Stuart? He was so good in the first episode, playing the geek who was still able to have normal converstations. Now he is Raj without money. I really hate what they have done to him more than any other character shift.

I don't remember the artist chick, unlessit was the one who gave Leonard her comic book? But I did actually like Leslie.

So anyway, I am still slowly catching up here, and due to Tivo, doing it way out of order. But I came in to chime in on something that has probably been discussed but is pissing me off anyway. What the hell did they do to Stuart? He was so good in the first episode, playing the geek who was still able to have normal converstations. Now he is Raj without money. I really hate what they have done to him more than any other character shift.

I tend to argue that Stuart is an illustration of late-stage capitalism's individualistic consumption-centric identities and their pitfalls. But I reasonably may be alone on that one.

Archived