Telltale Confirms Game of Thrones Game

Westeros

As rumored, Spike’s VGX awards became the outlet for Telltale Games to announce that they are, indeed, creating a Game of Thrones game due out in 2014:

At the 1:48 mark of the program video, VGX hosts Geoff Keighley and Joel McHale interview Telltale Games developers about the game, drawing out a few more details. Chief among them is that, contrary to some speculation, the game is based on the TV license. The books are a resource, but it will be visually dependent on the show, and the developers hope to have some of the TV show’s actors involved in voicing the game. It is too early in the development process for them to discuss plotlines or characters, but it’s safe to say the game will be in a similar mold to Telltales’s award-winning The Walking Dead game, which was specifically cited as an influence in HBO’s decision to agree to the game.

Visit the Site!

I still think they're making the wrong game, needs to be set during the long night, IMO.

I kind of agree with that part, it's not that I don't think Telltale will make a bad game but it will be a Telltale game and episodic and while it will probably be good for casual gamers I don't feel it's the right format.

Really it has to be an open world and done correctly, I fear that we will have to wait a long time before we get the type of console based games the franchise deserves.

Make a Total War-esque ASOIAF game, and I will die happy.

Well there is Westeros Total War mod out now, but its not very good.

However a new team is working on an entirely new version with new map and skins and it looks great. But its taking ages and I can't see it being out before 2015.

I kind of agree with that part, it's not that I don't think Telltale will make a bad game but it will be a Telltale game and episodic and while it will probably be good for casual gamers I don't feel it's the right format.

Really it has to be an open world and done correctly, I fear that we will have to wait a long time before we get the type of console based games the franchise deserves.

Well any big spoilers from the books, 3EC, COTF, last hero yada yada, would have to be held back until such time as the show reveals them.

So yeah, years, at least.

The mods are great. Crusader Kings. Mount and Blade warband etc but, they do not go too much into the history and lore of the world, the types of magic of the world, valyria, the first men, andals etc

You could spend time in lots of different parts of the world traveling by ship, caravan horse etc and still be tied to an over reaching story line.

I have about a million ideas but I won't inflict them as I'm sure you have a million of your own as good or better haha

While I am not a fan of the episodic releases of the Telltale games so far, I am a big fan of the stories even if I feel like the element of choice and consequence has been oversold.

I disagree that it would have to be an open-world game to do it justice. I think you could tell a very good self-contained story set in this world that does a fine job. The key elements you really need are deep and interesting (grey) characters, morally ambiguous choices, and lots of death. They've already proven themselves capable of those things with TWD.

That is not to say I wouldn't enjoy a good open-world game set in the Game of Thrones universe. I've imagined that it would be a pretty cool setting to play in if it were a post-apocalyptic Westeros (assuming the Others win) and you get to roam the ravaged frozen wasteland as a much older Rickon (assuming he doesn't die) along with Shaggy Dog, being supreme bad asses in a world where Winter has finally come.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this game. It should be a good one.

Did any one play the Game released for 360 or ps3?. I haven't so i really don't no.

But telltale games are always always good for a story line no matter but they may lack in a lot of parts eg. shortness of the game the graphs or just basic go here do this and your finished with no real challenge i hope if they do this i really hope they Make it based on the books more then the tv shows

It has terrible combat system and an unskippable 30 minute "playable" intro.

That's as far as me and two gamer friends got. after an Hour and one death and having to go back to the start we killed it. Sad really. Could have been amazing..

Still talewords stuff suffers from a few bugs, and VERY BASIC gameplay. you're trapped in the story they write for you, so lets hope it's a good one.

And the cell shading can go as far as I'm concerned for an IP this big it needs to look like Witcher or GTFO.

Archived