which house has the most number of direct bannermen or sworn soldiers?

not through vassals but the soldiers and knights sworn directly to them.

In the north : House Stark probably has the most men. Boltons and manderly's would come next. But how many men can the starks raise by themselves? 5000-7000? how much cavalry and infantry? House stark relies somewhat well on vassals. But still, i think the majority of soldiers killed in the red wedding were stark men. Manderly and stark probably makes up for more than 2/3 of the cavalry.

In the west: perhaps in the past, the lannisters had near military equals in the reynes and tarbecks but now i don't think there's a house in the west that comes close to them. The lannisters don't seem to rely that much on vassals. They must've seized the reyne-tarbeck lands for themselves. Most of the lannister men appear to be of the same cloth. House lannister probably raises 60% of the troops in the west. All 10,000 of stafford's men where direct bannermen as they were raised from lannisport. So how many men can they raise by themselves? 25,000?

In the vale: not enough info i can discuss upon.

In the riverlands: House tully was not the dominant house before the targareyns. They were made the overlords by the dragon king but i don't think they have great superiority. That is probably one of the reasons why the river lords are divided. Harrenhal must've a lot of sworn bannermen but with no lord to rally them. But still house tully probably raises the most men in the riverlands with the freys second. How many can they raise?

In the reach: They have the single largest army in westeros. The tyrells must have the largest single army in the continent but it can be misleading. House hightower is immensely rich and can raise three times more men than other tyrell bannermen. But they are peace loving people. But does that mean that they can raise more troops or equal number of troops as the tyrells.

This could mean that neither Hightower or tyrell has the largest personal army. Furthermore, the reach is a large country and it has many powerful houses, the tarly's, florent's, fossoways, caswells.... they too must have a big chunk out of the 80,000 men.

My guess is house Lannister, but it is still open for debate

I would say that the Lannisters can probably raise more men from their own lands. This is based on the fact that no other House seems to have been, until recently. been awarded the lands of the Tarbecks and the Reynes and so I would think that these holdings went straight to House Lannister. Hence why the Lannisters are probably the strongest Great House if we discount the bannermen.

hum, thats a good q indeed. Ill guess Lannisters,

But if Oldtown has a population close to KLs then is definitly Hightowers. They could make a huge levy. Remember KL had close to 10k Gold cloaks plus all the sailors and warriors in the ships. And you have to add that probably Hightowers have also some own lands outside the city itself.

Archived