If Ser Robert Strong was The Mountain That Rides, how did Qyburn do it?

King Pellinore

Most readers probably believe that Ser Robert Strong is what's left of Ser Gregor Clegane (sans noggin). I lean that way but, I wonder, how was it done and how is he controlled. We know that he has delved into the darkest of studies as a Maester to the point that the Citadel took away his chain however, it was never said that he dabbled in magic. Without a chain, it's more difficult to tell without him coming right out and saying so.

So, the question is: Did Qyburn use magic or alchemy to wake this giant monster? Which ever one it was, I believe we'll see he bit off more than he can chew (much like Frankenstein).

pretty much implied he dabbled in magic

This. We've seen from Sam's interactions with Marwyn that the Citadel is actively trying to rid the world of magic. They sent Aemon to the Wall on purpose, poisoned the dragons, and Sam is warned to mind what he says else he'll find poison in his porridge. Stripping Qyburn of his chain and denouncing him actually seems tame if he was successfully practicing magic, to be honest.

MMD used blood magic to make the vege-Drogo, and we know she and Marwyn used hang out together. Perhaps Marwyn taught something to Qyburn and now Q has just refined all this a bit further with her little project at the black cells.

MMD used blood magic to make the vege-Drogo, and we know she and Marwyn used hang out together. Perhaps Marwyn taught something to Qyburn and now Q has just refined all this a bit further with her little project at the black cells.

Hmmm. That's a very nice connection you made there. *scribble scribble

Certainly this re-animation can be a refined form of blood magic that MMD used. Vege-Drogo after all seems quite similar to Robert Strong.

I'm not sure if it was a theory I read but I think it was speculated that Marwyn, MMD and Qayburn all studied with the Shadow Binders of Ashai. Qayburn got in trouble for studying anatomy not on corpses but live humans. Or at least he was suspected of it. I think he is using both Shadow Binding magic as a way to transfer life to Gregor' s dead body. For what it worth.

Archived