Best Player of The Game of Thrones?

IcedEmpyre

Many people play the game, at many levels high and low. Given their circumstances, who do you think the best player of the game is? It doesn't necessarily have to be who you think will succeed in the end (if infact anyone ever does), but instead who makes the best out of their situation. Some obvious choices are masterminds like Varys and LF who have risen from almost nothing to the highest levels of the game. Then there are those such as Tywin or the QoT who were born into a powerful position and used it well. Also, many characters are at the lower levels but show wits for the game and great potential. Sansa for example has improved greatly and I don't believe anyone would consider her the best at this point, but learning from LF maybe some think she will continue to learn.

One character that particularly interests me is Brynden Rivers. Nobody knows he still lives, but he seems to have influence over many of the events of the realm. We know that before he became a greenseer spending his days in a cave beyond the wall, he was hand of a king and was the true power ruling the realm. Also he was LC of the Nights Watch I believe. He is an accomplished guy-tree-greenseer-dragon-bastard thing.

Anyways, I just wanted to know people's opinions on this matter and I couldn't find any threads on it, so please do discuss. The main topic of the books is obviously the game, so it is something important to talk about.

Very much so.

What has she ever done to show her skills as a player? Saying everyone around her is an idiot in a witty way doesn't count.

Yes. In Doran's case at least we know he had been plotting for a long time to bring his enemies down, and had also kept his arse safe from a major war in the realm, remaining on the winning side and losing nothing in the process- even if his strategies fall like a house of cards afterwards.

Olenna - well her only achievement so far is killing Joffrey, which seeing that she did with LF's help makes me assume she had very little part in planning it all. She is alright as a comic relief or a feminist icon, but she is far from the best player around.

Yes. In Doran's case at least we know he had been plotting for a long time to bring his enemies down, and had also kept his arse safe from a major war in the realm, remaining on the winning side and losing nothing in the process- even if his strategies fall like a house of cards afterwards.

Olenna - well her only achievement so far is killing Joffrey, which seeing that she did with LF's help makes me assume she had very little part in planning it all. She is alright as a comic relief or a feminist icon, but she is far from the best player around.

I would say losing Oberyn and Quentyn would count as losing big things.

And if Olenna is a feminist icon I have to cry.

What with her sexist comments about men and all.

I mean, I like Doran, but I can't felt but feel that his whole Quentyn plot was stupid

I mean, I like Doran, but I can't felt but feel that his whole Quentyn plot was stupid

Yeah she is sexist, but oh well lets get over that fact.

Agreed about Doran, of course. I myself don't consider him that great a player. What I was trying to say was, you can at least make a case for him. For Olenna, we have too little to go on.

The Tyrells, that's my opinion after reading the GTC. Varys doesn't actually do that much himself, imo, he seems to be relying on things escalating by themselves.
I don't think we can judge LF before his plan truly unfolds, but so far, his dagger-lie seems more like a plot-device and less like a masterly intrigue to me.

Ned Freaking Stark! The dude, kept the true heir to House Targ hidden until the time of his death. His master plan of Jon taking the Seven Kingdoms is now in motion! MUHAHAHAH :cool4:

Seriously now, LF scares the life out of me, when playing the game. After him; Tywin, Doran, Queen of Throns, Varys and The Roose.

I'm placing my bet on a black horse, and cast my vote for Roose. The lovable leech lord conned everybody during tWot5K and has made further moves to cement his position by marrying Fat Walda and pimping his son with fArya. Don't know if he's playing the game of thrones, but he's certainly playing something.

Archived