[Spoilers] Why does everyone think Victarion will..

The Iron Banker

If Dany did not have reasons to completely loathe Jamie or Stannis,both would have made wonderful commanders. So I am still hoping that Barristan survives and hopefully that Vic dies in a embarrassing way.I hated him from reading of what he did to his salt wife and started to loathe him with what happened to the bed slaves.

Ooh, I forgot about the bed slave thing. That was monstrous. Victarion seems like the kind of person who would bring it up to Dany too. "I free slaves too!"

Vic will fall off a Dragon into the sea and drown in his plate mail. It is known (to me to be a funny idea).

I think it's in 'The Reaver' chapter where he thinks how craven it is to not wear plate at sea. I dunno, seems like a bit of foreshadowing to me.

Daenerys needs Victarion and the iron fleet if she's to make it to Westeros during the next book. Victarion will either not use the horn right away because of the absence of a dragon or maybe even out of "common sense" as nobody is quite sure what to expect and an immediate screw up will likely lead to conflict with Daenerys.

I see Victarion making it back to Westeros without a doubt. The only way he doesn't is if him AND his entire fleet perish after conflict with Daenerys and co, but I don't see that happening.

Victarion's plot armor is nice and thick at the moment, but after providing Daenerys passage to Westeros it'll be almost paper thin.

Daenerys needs Victarion and the iron fleet if she's to make it to Westeros during the next book. Victarion will either not use the horn right away because of the absence of a dragon or maybe even out of "common sense" as nobody is quite sure what to expect and an immediate screw up will likely lead to conflict with Daenerys.

I see Victarion making it back to Westeros without a doubt. The only way he doesn't is if him AND his entire fleet perish after conflict with Daenerys and co, but I don't see that happening.

Victarion's plot armor is nice and thick at the moment, but after providing Daenerys passage to Westeros it'll be almost paper thin.

She probably needs the Iron Fleet but she doesn't need Victarion.

"Only their shadows," Moqorro said. "One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood."

"You ought to see it [Dothraki Sea] when it blooms, all dark red flowers from horizon to horizon, like a sea of blood."

The "one black eye" is Euron.

I believe this is not true if we take real life history.

In medieval times eunuchs could climb quite high at courts and as battle commanders since eunuchs castrated as adults can indeed be fearsome fighters. Frederic of Sicily commanded and won battles as boy at the age of fourteen, Friedrich II of Prussia was respected as fighter even when he was an older man, although being small and somewhat stunted and Richard III was a skilled soldier even if he had skoliosis. It is only in cultures with more primitive ideologies of warfare, where the commander always has to fight in the first row, where there might be a problem of acceptance. But the more sopisticated and strategy oriented warfare became the more accepted was a commander who is crippled or castrated and makes up for it with experience and cunning. After all it is competence that ensures the survival of his soldiers. Although female battle commanders would have a hard time to overcome prejudices.

In Byzantium. Not in Western Europe.

She probably needs the Iron Fleet but she doesn't need Victarion.

Name someone not ironborn that lead ironborn...

The way I see it, it's all or nothing. They won't be too happy if someone kills Victarion. She needs Vic to lead the fleet and besides Vic is without a doubt there best bet at making the voyage in one piece. It would be stupid to not make use of the opportunity that is Victarion Greyjoy.

It's partly because I think Victarion's purpose in the story is to bring dragons from Essos to Westeros. And he'll die trying, to emphasise Dany's importance as a dragon-rider (and whoever the other two riders eventually are).

And it's partly that I hate Victarion and want him to die. GRRM did at least give his audience what they wanted with Joffrey. ;)

But they will follow strength.

So Vic gets roasted/killed etc. and they just jump to Dany's cause?

....yea I just can't picture that happening. I think strength is considered among the ironborn, I don't think they'll follow just anybody. The iron islands are independent for a reason.

Like you say Dany needs those ships. I'm pretty sure she can convince them. If you had a choice between get toasted and giving her and her army a ride what would you do?

Given what she does to slavers, I'd take my chances with the dragons. :P

I wonder what Dany would do to Victarion once she discovers that he sold people from the Shield Islands? I hate that guy. Can't wait for Drogon to eat him.

Like you say Dany needs those ships. I'm pretty sure she can convince them. If you had a choice between get toasted and giving her and her army a ride what would you do?

The ironborn are a pretty stubborn bunch. I wouldn't bank on them making logical decisions like you or I would likely make, especially Vic's group of ironborn. If Victarion said "we're sailing to hell" and literally meant it, I bet you wouldn't hear any complaining just as he's currently sailed the fleet into a war they have nothing to do with. I'm willing to bet they'd likely fight to nearly the last man if Victarion is killed maliciously. To kill Vic would be a very poor decision on Dany's behalf.

The iron fleet is nowhere near enough to carry any significant portion of Dany's followers to Westeros.

True. My guess is she takes what's left of her oppositions fleet and the iron fleet combined with the iron captain leading the show.

Given what she does to slavers, I'd take my chances with the dragons. :P

I wonder what Dany would do to Victarion once she discovers that he sold people from the Shield Islands? I hate that guy. Can't wait for Drogon to eat him.

Vic was following orders. He frees slaves.

Archived