Stannis Baratheon: Worst Human Rights Abuser in Westeros?

Éadaoin

Thought provoking OP :drunk: , Lovely new avi as well.

Thanks! I think Stephen Dillane actually looks surprisingly good with a bronytail- and I guess I really have E-Ro to thank for this avatar, in a way.

Poor Cressen :frown5:

That's a good point, the whole Cressen thing does probably color some people's opinions of him right away (and rightfully so imo, Cressen was basically just an innocent guy who had the misfortune to end up around Stannis)

I agree that Cersei is definitely not a good person whatsoever; I don't see what it has to do with this thread, though?

Your thread title is "Stannis Baratheon: Worst Human Rights Abuser in Westeros".

So if you cannot see the relevance in someone bringing up other, far worse human rights abuses by other characters, you've rather laid bare the fact you weren't actually going for genuine analysis and discussion with this thread, but rather simply hyperbole to knock down a character you don't necessarily like.

I'm all for a genuine discussion of the merits and faults of characters, even if it means praising those I dislike, and criticising those I like, but this thread just seems like rank hackery.

Thought provoking OP :drunk: , Lovely new avi as well.

Dude that av is horrible. Much like quality of her posts.

I'm beginning to see why your enemies on here all tend to reserve a very specific kind of derision for you tbh.

The claws are coming out. How scary! Anyway, my enemies have a grudging respect for me. There is still time tho brah, just admit your wrong about stannis, I will forgive you.

Honestly too much Stan bashing gets a little annoying for me, so that was the best part of the OP. It's not like I don't agree (to some extent) to what Eadaoin said, the man just has some flaws, but who doesn't. I like him anyway. He is the only one continuously doing something. His heroics don't come because of some prophecy that was promised and he doesn't needs a glowing sword either to be cool. ;)

I agree. He has a few flaws but not many. The guy would make an amazing king.

lol yikes, I'll try to make this brief- the place to discuss this thoroughly is probably Genchat, where all of the gender/feminism threads are. But by power I was referring more to institutionalized power. I tend to believe that this general definition of sexism = prejudice + institutionalized power is actually pretty sturdy (and useful), despite the fact that I think it has its limitations. (and this isn't a way to excuse women from their prejudices, imo.)

But if you don't believe that things like male privilege even exist, then you clearly won't agree with this definition, and one obvious reason I suspect that us arguing about any of this is doomed to endless circles from the start is because we evidently don't even seem to agree on the basic definition of sexism. (Though my initial usage of the word "power" was so vague as to be useless- i should have specified.)

tbh this is a complicated subject that I probably can't do any sort of justice in an already fairly ridiculous Stannis thread (it would just get locked for being so off topic). If you really wanted to discuss it further, I could PM you.

I'll be brief too.

This looks and seems like a cheap method to excuse sexism against men.

What? How is a joke towards ones brother homophobic? He was insulting renly for being unlikely to produce an heir.

People seem to conveniently forget what Renly said to Shireen, prior to Stannis's comment on Renly's sexuality. Any father would've said something bad especially if that thing came from his brother and was directed at his daughter and Renly's niece.

How is "in your bed she's like to die that way." Homophobic? It stands to reason that renly wouldn't have sex with marg because he doesn't like having sex with women. It's a simple statement. It lS mean, sure. But no meaner then renly trying to steal the throne and insulting Stan's wife and kid.

What? How is a joke towards ones brother homophobic? He was insulting renly for being unlikely to produce an heir.

And how does that show that he isn't homophobic, exactly? Yes, he was insulting Renly - specifically, he was insulting him with reference to his homosexuality.

It was sexist, but I give it a pass, because of the context.

Any man, who has any type of brotherly relationship with another man will tell you the same. You ALWAYS go for the low blow in any argument. Witness Renly's comeback. Another low blow. That's your typical brotherly argument.

Are you guys serious? Anti gay agenda? This is Westeros, not Cleveland, Ohio. 99% of the characters would consider homosexuality an abomination before gods and men. Everyone's purpose in life is to build your house and bloodline, so reproduction and marriage are the name of the game.

People seem to conveniently forget what Renly said to Shireen, prior to Stannis's comment on Renly's sexuality. Any father would've said something bad especially if that thing came from his brother and was directed at his daughter and Renly's niece.

Renly never said anything hurtful TO Shireen.

It was sexist, but I give it a pass, because of the context.

Any man, who has any type of brotherly relationship with another man will tell you the same. You ALWAYS go for the low blow in any argument. Witness Renly's comeback. Another low blow. That's your typical brotherly argument.

Renly's argument was the worst of worst.

And how does that show that he isn't homophobic, exactly? Yes, he was insulting Renly - specifically, he was insulting him with reference to his homosexuality.

Words are wind. If Stannis were so homophobic, why would he name Renly his heir after he bends the knee, and let him keep Storm's End, and remain on the Small Council?

Archived